Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   i walked by thurston on the sidewalk today (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=54138)

clockaddict 07.04.2011 04:56 PM

i walked by thurston on the sidewalk today

at the naropa university campus where he's teaching this week for the summer writing program of the kerouac school.

he was wearing sunglasses and eating a bagel or something.

i didn't know what to do so i just stared at the ground smiling.

ideas on how to approach this scenario next time around?

auto-aim 07.04.2011 05:17 PM

Just try to avoid it. He might very well be nice and lovely, and you might be too, or any combination of the above - I always think these kind of interactions are awkward and nobody really gets anything out of them. In my experience, anyway. Either that or get completely wasted beforehand

clockaddict 07.04.2011 05:28 PM

maybe if i get a chance at the end of the week ill just yell fuck sonic youth and run the other direction holding my middle finger out behind me

i wonder if he gets this much

The Watcher 07.04.2011 06:07 PM

That's really funny......

deflinus 07.04.2011 10:14 PM

he's pretty cool if you approach him in a kind manner. though i wouldn't if he was walking somewhere.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.04.2011 11:29 PM

My opinion is that it's considerate not to approach celebrities when you see them in public. If you saw Thurston at one of his shows, that would be different, but when he's out in public, maybe he would like his privacy.

Dead-Air 07.04.2011 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
My opinion is that it's considerate not to approach celebrities when you see them in public. If you saw Thurston at one of his shows, that would be different, but when he's out in public, maybe he would like his privacy.

Teaching at Naropa is very much a type of playing a gig, which I'm sure Thurston would agree with. One would hope he took the gig for the opportunity to interact with a younger generation of people who are interested in learning from his experiences. I'd imagine he'll meet quite a few Sonic Youth fans while he's there and might even make friends with the ones who can talk to him like a human being without giggling and chewing their fingertips off.

SuperCreep 07.04.2011 11:56 PM

What Kind Of Bagel Was He Eating

Chris Lawrence 07.05.2011 01:52 AM

The first time I saw Thurston in public I chased him up the street to ask about his MXR Blue Box. You can't possibly do worse than that.

I still can't look him in the eye. (Well I can, but it hurts my neck.)

Derek 07.05.2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperCreep
What Kind Of Bagel Was He Eating

^^^

pad_023 07.05.2011 07:34 AM

Thurston once asked my advice on cigarettes and pork scratchings.

He's very approachable.

Inhuman 07.05.2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad_023
Thurston once asked my advice on cigarettes and pork scratchings.

He's very approachable.

Ahaha, that sounds like Thurston too, especially after seeing 1991, The Year Punk Broke

Pax Americana 07.05.2011 06:15 PM

I talked to him before a show in Toronto once and he was quite friendly. I don't know that I'd interrupt his bagel eating though. You don't mess with a man when he's having a bagel.

Magic Wheel Memory 07.05.2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Teaching at Naropa is very much a type of playing a gig, which I'm sure Thurston would agree with. One would hope he took the gig for the opportunity to interact with a younger generation of people who are interested in learning from his experiences. I'd imagine he'll meet quite a few Sonic Youth fans while he's there and might even make friends with the ones who can talk to him like a human being without giggling and chewing their fingertips off.

You may be right.

jennthebenn 07.06.2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
heh.
you are right, he is very nice. he actually said 'hi' to us too. if i remember correctly..he did it out of politeness, since there we were, just stepped out of the train, 6 of us, feeling numb and looking dumb; they were just few steps away, he didnt have a choice!

"Feeling numb and looking dumb"...that says it perfectly. I forget who said it first, but someone in our group called his name and said "Thanks" (since he'd curated that ATP). He could tell we weren't about to attack him, so he was cool about it.

demonrail666 07.06.2011 02:08 PM

stab him with a broken copy of Kill Yr Idols then run off howling "Punk lives, old man". He'll appreciate the irony.

chicka 07.06.2011 03:53 PM

He's just a man just another human being. I say hi to everybody I approach on the street. they either say hi back, start a mini conversation, turn away,
look at the ground or tell me to fly away.

if it was me : Hey Thurston, my name is Mike Childs and I happen to be a big fan and I'd stick out my hand to shake his or form a fist for a knuckle-bump. Hopefully he'll talk to me. In fact I'm sure he would.

deflinus 07.06.2011 05:44 PM

it's funny, when I approached Thurston - he looked scared shitless.
it was probably my brown skin. i bet he thought i was going to stab him or something

Sender 07.07.2011 05:24 AM

I'd honestly piss my pants if I ran into Thurston Moore, he's too cool for me.

Pelle 07.07.2011 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sender
I'd honestly piss my pants if I ran into Thurston Moore, he's too cool for me.

Same here!:p