Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston Moore Joins Black Metal Band Twilight (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=80230)

TheMadcapLaughs 07.30.2012 10:02 PM

Thurston Moore Joins Black Metal Band Twilight

In his post (?) Sonic Youth career, Thurston Moore has taken a bit of an aesthetic turn: he's joined the black metal supergroup Twilight. Nachtmystium guitarist/vocalist Blake Judd, also a member of Twilight, revealed this in an interview with the 1st Five.
For their upcoming album, out this fall on Century Media, the Twilight lineup will consist of Moore, Judd, producer Sanford Parker, Stavros Giannopoulos from the Atlas Moth, Wrest of Leviathan, and Imperial from Krieg. Judd told the 1st Five that he hopes to get Isis' Aaron Turner, Lichens' Rob Lowe, and Malefic of Xasthur to also contribute.
Judd told the 1st Five:
You know Century Media could offer us a hundred thousand dollars to make that Twilight record and say: 'Blake, you get ninety percent of that money but Thurston Moore's not gonna be on the record, or, you can be on it and we'll give you ten grand and that's what you have to make it work.' And I would, I would take the ten grand and work with Thurston. That's like how much I love Sonic Youth.
Judd alluded to Moore's involvement in an interview with Brandon Stosuy for a recent "Show No Mercy" column, and explained how they met:
Pitchfork: It's the same lineup as the last record?
BJ: Pretty much. I know [the Atlas Moth's] Stavros [Giannopoulos] and Sanford will be involved and there's talk of Thurston Moore being involved. He was really interested in doing it and he's a big black metal fan. Sanford knows him because his old studio was run with a guy named Jeremy Lemos who was Sonic Youth's sound man for a long time, so that's our connection to them. Sanford had spoken to him when we were doing the last album about maybe getting involved. Timing wasn't right then, but he said he was super interested in doing something down the line. So if we add anybody else, that's who it will be.

TheMadcapLaughs 07.30.2012 10:03 PM

i'm more interested in hearing this than the next chelsea light moving song

ann ashtray 07.30.2012 10:29 PM

Well, musically I can see this taking Thurston a bit away from the usual stuff most have grown to expect him to be doing (I love the Chelsea Light Moving track, but it isn't too far off from what we've heard w/ Sonic Youth/some of his side projects over the past few years).

Exciting. Yes. Always dig when musicians branch out into other genres...especially when they know how to add their own twist to it, which I have full faith Thurston is capable of doing.

ann ashtray 07.30.2012 10:29 PM

In other words, haha, thanks for sharing this.

Dude McDude 07.31.2012 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMadcapLaughs
i'm more interested in hearing this than the next chelsea light moving song

Agreed, but seeing him sport corpsepaint would be even more important.

chrome noise tape 07.31.2012 04:35 PM

he's a brilliant guitar but i think he hasn't speed or an antichrist soul for this.

Dude McDude 07.31.2012 04:48 PM

EVOLghost 07.31.2012 06:59 PM

Woah. Fucking awesome. And I agree with you madcap...I'm just so fucking curious!

holy ghost 07.31.2012 09:02 PM

I'd be excited if the band wasn't Twilight....

Mortte Jousimo 08.01.2012 06:01 AM

Well, this canīt be worse than Metallica and Lou Reed.

vulva 08.01.2012 06:10 AM

I like Nachtmystium and I like Thurston, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Tim Barlow 08.01.2012 09:18 AM

Boy, is Thurston burying himself in work! Would this be to stave off grief over Kim & the (possible) end of SY? (I wonder which will last longest - this or Chelsea Light Moving?) I must admit, tho', I'm looking forward to hearing Thurston shredding, black metal-style. Could be excellent therapy, both for him and us grieving SY fans...

hypertonic 08.01.2012 10:16 AM

I've been curious to hear some output from him in this vein. We've heard how BM affected T, but we've never actually heard it musically from him. I too am excited to hear this.

chrome noise tape 08.01.2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Well, this canīt be worse than Metallica and Lou
Reed.

hope not.

tesla69 08.02.2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Barlow
I must admit, tho', I'm looking forward to hearing Thurston shredding, black metal-style.

Why? every song will sounds the same. Black metal is one idea over and over again.

Pookie 08.02.2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Why? every song will sounds the same. Black metal is one idea over and over again.

Cheap shot. Shit things are too easy to mock.

Mortte Jousimo 08.03.2012 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69

I donīt think artists should make something completely new in every album. I think if someone has found some very personal, own style, he can recycle it if he can add new albums something fresh. I think true creativity doesnīt born in obsession to create always something new. I also really enjoy artists who add little something new along their career, develop some kind naturally. I think for example PJ Harvey should forget his obsession to renew all the time.

Anyway I havenīt heard any interesting Black Metal-record. Itīs a long time I watched Venom 7 gates of Hell-vid and I quite like it. Maybe I should listen some Venom-album sometime in the future...

I think itīs stupid to say any music style shit, because I think no-one can listen all the albums of some music style specially if heīs the one who doesnīt like that style.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 08.03.2012 03:16 AM

its about damn time

ann ashtray 08.03.2012 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I donīt think artists should make something completely new in every album. I think if someone has found some very personal, own style, he can recycle it if he can add new albums something fresh. I think true creativity doesnīt born in obsession to create always something new. I also really enjoy artists who add little something new along their career, develop some kind naturally. I think for example PJ Harvey should forget his obsession to renew all the time.

Anyway I havenīt heard any interesting Black Metal-record. Itīs a long time I watched Venom 7 gates of Hell-vid and I quite like it. Maybe I should listen some Venom-album sometime in the future...

I think itīs stupid to say any music style shit, because I think no-one can listen all the albums of some music style specially if heīs the one who doesnīt like that style.

I think artists should do whatever the fuck they want.

holy ghost 08.03.2012 01:06 PM

Oh yeah, all black metal sounds the same.... I was listening to Proclamation, my friend mistook it for Bathory.....