Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Fellini, 8 1/2 (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=40455)

Skuj 07.11.2010 02:02 AM

Fellini, 8 1/2

Fuckin, everyone must be forced to see this at least 3 times in their lives.

I saw it thrice, as of tonight....and tonight was the night when it truly hit me like a fuckin freight train......every square millimeter of this thing, for every nanosecond, is pure.....er.......something very very important. I think.

MellySingsDoom 07.11.2010 02:05 AM

I haven't seen 8 1/2 in ages, the last time was a screening at the Natoinal Film Theatre about 5 years ago. I remember being well impressed on seeing it on the big screen. The ending itself I recall as being pretty fab.

Skuj - what were your highlights of 8 1/2?

demonrail666 07.11.2010 02:42 AM

Yeah, no disagreement from me. Brilliant film.

Keeping It Simple 07.11.2010 06:14 AM

Nah.

atsonicpark 07.11.2010 07:41 AM

Yeah, it's a classic.

Skuj 07.11.2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Skuj - what were your highlights of 8 1/2?

The thing I love about it the most is......the director is having writer's block, and he can't figure out which direction he should go on his next project, life is getting complicated, and what we see is exactly THAT film, hahaha....I just love that angle.

Last night's viewing flew by, 135min seemed so short. This didn't happen on the other viewings.

I was surprised by how much screentime is devoted to his dreams, and his daydreams/recollections. (There is a big difference between those two.) Sometimes we aren't sure where we are....daydream or reality.

My favourite part is the dream sequence where ALL the women are gathered.

atsonicpark 07.11.2010 09:51 AM

I guess my latest film was sorta 8 1/2-ish... though it was more inspired by Fassbinder's Beware of a Holy Whore..

o o o 07.11.2010 10:19 AM

I have not watched it in a long time, but I remember having loved the ending the first time I saw it (and loving it also on subsequent viewings). And the dream sequence with all the women of his life was also great. As my memories from the rest of the movie remain quite fuzzy, it must be time for me to watch it once again soon!

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.11.2010 10:51 AM

Yes, brilliant film!

Derek 07.11.2010 02:38 PM

I own it but I've not gotten round to watching it yet. Looking forward to it though.

Count Mecha 07.11.2010 03:54 PM

Been wanting to see 8 1/2 for years. I always liked that scene in Ghost World when that dude goes into the video store actually expecting them to have 8 1/2. But all they have is 8 1/2 Weeks.

I've got it sitting in the netflix queue now. I don't have an excuse anymore.

SuperCreep 07.12.2010 07:21 AM

i just started getting into fellini. i absolutely love "the road" and "la dolce vita." i'll probably get to this one later this week.

fugazifan 07.12.2010 03:26 PM

this is my favorite film. i wrote a seminar paper that discussed its and once upon a time in the west's usage of operatic conventions.
my favorite scene is the rhumba and the ending.
seriously i need to watch it again. my girlfriend got the the criterion for my birthday.

!@#$%! 07.12.2010 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
this is my favorite film.

me too-- almost. i actually prefer la dolce vita because it's less self-reflective than 8-1/2, which is about being a film director. la dolce vita is so very current, in spite of being what, half a century old now? "in the absence of god and with the death of philosophy, should i be an artist, or a marketing whore?" fucking brilliant.

about 8 1/2:

yes, the scene with the man/child with the women in the house, and his whip, is great.

another is when he hides under the table

or when his dad comes out of the grave

the ending of course is delicious

claudia cardinale is so beautiful as his muse

the room with his mistress is another great scene

poor anouk aimee as his wife looks almost like a man

but the ending! the ending is so fucking joyous-- i think woody allen ripped it off for "deconstructing harry, " when his life is going to shit and his characters all forgive him.

themawt71 07.12.2010 04:56 PM

the dream sequence in the beginning is one of my favorite parts. especially at the end of the scene where he's floating above the beach and the man (men?) yank him down with the rope tied to his leg.

Skuj 07.12.2010 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
me too-- almost. i actually prefer la dolce vita because it's less self-reflective than 8-1/2, which is about being a film director. la dolce vita is so very current, in spite of being what, half a century old now? "in the absence of god and with the death of philosophy, should i be an artist, or a marketing whore?" fucking brilliant.

about 8 1/2:

yes, the scene with the man/child with the women in the house, and his whip, is great.

another is when he hides under the table

or when his dad comes out of the grave

the ending of course is delicious

claudia cardinale is so beautiful as his muse

the room with his mistress is another great scene

poor anouk aimee as his wife looks almost like a man

but the ending! the ending is so fucking joyous-- i think woody allen ripped it off for "deconstructing harry, " when his life is going to shit and his characters all forgive him.

I do think that La Dolce Vita and 8 1/2 "compliment" each other, like Sgt Pepper and Magical Mystery Tour. (OK, bad example.)

Is it just me, or is Anouk Aimee fucking smoking hot, with that hair and glasses? I think she is beyond adorable.

Skuj 07.12.2010 11:47 PM

Yeah.