Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Jet Set (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=32364)

notyourfiend 06.25.2009 12:26 AM

Experimental Jet Set

Music reviews trash it. The other Sonic Youth fans I'm friends with rarely have anything positive to say (despite complements for bull in the heather.) I just joined these boards and was wondering, am I the only person who absolutely adores this album? It was the first one I ever heard and the album that got me hooked. The first time I heard it I felt...transformed. I still get chills when I put it on even though I've listened thosounds of times...

Death & the Maiden 06.25.2009 12:41 AM

Out of their 90s albums I've heard, it's my favourite. I used to hate it, but a recent relistening changed my mind.

atsonicpark 06.25.2009 12:59 AM

FreshChops 06.25.2009 01:17 AM

When I first heard it, I was slightly caught off guard. Not disappointed, I knew there was something special about it, but just caught off guard.... ESPECIALLY following the polished and big sounding "Dirty".

This is no joke and not commendable, but soon after it came out I was taking acid, which happened to be the best hit of my life and I unconsciously put on Experimental Jet Set. Don't know why. It wasn't the most listened to album I owned, but felt right. Turns out to be a VERY amusing time. I was just constantly laughing at every sound they made. Laughing for hours, repeating the album. Suddenly, the very "in-your-face" and raw mix of the album all became very touchable and appropriate. It was a high, high, highly entertaining album. It may not strike every emotion, but the art of recording is for entertainment, so, mission accomplished!

I wouldn't say it's there most pretty; catchy; complex; or even well thought out album of any of them but it is very unique and a nice addition to their vast collage of recordings. I will add though, it does have a number of tracks that are "goose bump worthy" (like 3, 4, 11, and 14 especially)

notyourfiend 06.25.2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshChops
This is no joke and not commendable, but soon after it came out I was taking acid, which happened to be the best hit of my life and I unconsciously put on Experimental Jet Set.

I actually had a similiar experience...I was extremely high with a friend I used to date...he found this record (for some reason it was lying around my house? still confuses me to this day....) and put it on while we fooled around...crazy shit! I fell in love immediately. Kim's voice drew me in. I'll never forget that feeling. See, I actually love how Sonic Youth experiments a bit with some minimalism on tracks such as Stink and Sweet Shine. The album has a very unique dark feel to it...no, it doesn't touch every emotion, but i still think it's extremely beautiful and maybe even ethereal?

notyourfiend 06.25.2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreshChops
This is no joke and not commendable, but soon after it came out I was taking acid, which happened to be the best hit of my life and I unconsciously put on Experimental Jet Set.

I actually had a similiar experience...I was extremely high with a friend I used to date...he found this record (for some reason it was lying around my house? still confuses me to this day....) and put it on while we fooled around...crazy shit! I fell in love immediately. Kim's voice drew me in. I'll never forget that feeling. See, I actually love how Sonic Youth experiments a bit with some minimalism on tracks such as Stink and Sweet Shine. The album has a very unique dark feel to it...no, it doesn't touch every emotion, but i still think it's extremely beautiful and maybe even ethereal?

noisereductions 06.25.2009 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark

hahahaha. I was just going to say, is this like a monthly topic now? Her'es the short version: Everyone claims to hate it, but really we all love it. End of message board(s).

Rob Instigator 06.25.2009 09:24 AM

my least fave sonic youth recording ever.
just sounds halfassed.

noisereductions 06.25.2009 09:35 AM

because it is. And that was the goal/charm of it.

Rob Instigator 06.25.2009 09:38 AM

like a half digested diarrhea

charming

Shifty Prophet 06.25.2009 09:39 AM

It may be completely half-assed but half of the half-assedness turns out to be really fucking good.

automatic bzooty 06.25.2009 11:28 AM

sonic youth halfassing is infinitely better than most bands fullassing.

noisereductions 06.25.2009 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shifty Prophet
It may be completely half-assed but half of the half-assedness turns out to be really fucking good.

this

Rob Instigator 06.25.2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
sonic youth halfassing is infinitely better than most bands fullassing.

yes

SONIC GAIL 06.25.2009 12:35 PM

Experimental Jet Set is my favorite SY album of all time.
How could anyone not like it?

Seandi 06.25.2009 01:39 PM

Man, I dare anyone to say something bad about this album. No, I mean I dare
anyone to knock this designer 'lude off of my shoulder. Experimental Jet Set
is kill city.

Jeremy 06.25.2009 03:39 PM

I don't like the record at all. The songs just don't yank my crank in the way I enjoy my crank to be yanked.

~Jeremy~

viewtiful_alan 06.25.2009 05:13 PM

Lazy songwriting galore and no Lee vocals=meh

joe11121 06.25.2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Hahaha.
So true, this album has like 100 threads about it.

notyourfiend 06.25.2009 07:53 PM

Quote:

Yup, sorry! Just joined these boards and my computer screen is cracked so i didn't see it. :-/ Let's end topic then!