Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   So you wanna fake being an indie rock expert? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2436)

Tokolosh 05.31.2006 10:15 AM

So you wanna fake being an indie rock expert?

Found this article today that mentions Sonic Youth.

http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/...ndierock4.html

What do you guys think?
Do you qualify?

atari 2600 05.31.2006 10:19 AM

ha ha ha
a virtual training manual for the I-Want-to-be-a-townie-hipper-than-thou sycophant crowd

good stuff, man

good stuff

fishmonkey 05.31.2006 10:25 AM

that is funny

"Then there are cases like Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind, good; but anything after Where You Been, bad. There is no science here; and without a good knowledge of the bands you are only likely to get into trouble."

val-holla-ing 05.31.2006 10:31 AM

"don't make up band names"?

that's my favorite indierocke pastime. anybody ever heard of baby jessica and the wishing well?

edit:
and that sonic youth quote is nuts. i know plenty of indie "snobs" who don't like sonic youth.

screamingskull 05.31.2006 10:36 AM

ha ha ha thats hillarious!, did you read all the stuff about not bathing?. thats really funny.

Disgruntled Youth 05.31.2006 11:06 AM

What a trip!!! hahaha

schizophrenicroom 05.31.2006 11:43 AM

lol.

candymoan 05.31.2006 11:59 AM

i am faking being an indie rock expert..
i like sonic youth and pixies, and little else..

Rob Instigator 05.31.2006 12:58 PM

That is hilarious!

sonic youth rule all.
and it is true, I do know endelss indie snobs who claim and profess love and admiration for the Youth but who in fact never ever listen to the Youth and only say so because they know true indie snobs like myself will kick their necks in and have them choking on their own frothy pink foam breath/blood

HaydenAsche 05.31.2006 04:23 PM

I win. I qualify.

Hannah 05.31.2006 04:53 PM

That was funny.

So yeah, I hear Jesperson's got something new going on. What do you guys think of that? I think it could be good. Although he will never produce anything as good as his older stuff. Pre majour...Sonic Youth are great aren't they? Thurston Moore is like God to me.

kingcoffee 05.31.2006 05:15 PM

I had a lot of fun making up band names with my friends while we were in high school. Sometimes we woulf get high and run through about twenty really strange names. It was fun.

kingcoffee 05.31.2006 05:16 PM

And I have seen this article about a year or so ago. It really reminded me of some of the people I know. They think they're so punk or indie but they don't really know too much of what they speak about. Like my friend Jeff. He likes Dinosaur Jr but hasn't heard anything before Where You Been. I keep trying to introduce him to Bug and You're Living All Over Me but he keeps insisting that Without A Sound and Where You Been are the pinnacles of Dinosaur Jr's creativity.

Alex's Trip 05.31.2006 05:16 PM

I actually read that a couple years ago and I do owe it a bit of credit. It helped get me here. I was trying to find more music that I liked (that, at the time, being smashing pumpkins, the strokes, the yeah yeah yeahs etc) and stumbled upon it. I read it for fun. I had previously heard the name 'Sonic Youth' several places prior to this and this got me closer to listening. It wasn't until someone posted Dirty Boots in a thread on another forum about how U2 ripped off a bunch of songs with Vertigo, that I ended up listening to them. I had finally said "enough, time to listen to them". Pretty uninteresting story there.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.31.2006 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by val-holla-ing
"don't make up band names"?

that's my favorite indierocke pastime. anybody ever heard of baby jessica and the wishing well?

edit:
and that sonic youth quote is nuts. i know plenty of indie "snobs" who don't like sonic youth.

I know!

Everyneurotic 05.31.2006 06:49 PM

yes, a guide to be scene!!!

i usually bum people out like "oh, the yeah yeah yeahs are so great!!"
me: "no they suck"
other guy/girl: "well...i guess you are right, it has been all downhill since their independent s/t"
me: "no, they've always sucked"
them: "well...hmmm...how about the white stripes?"
and so on.

or i would declare my love for the most un-cred worthy band and get elitist looks.

kingcoffee 05.31.2006 07:50 PM

I really like the White Stripes. Get Behind Me Satan wasn't that great, but I like the fact that they wandered away from what got them so popular: guitar-oriented blues/garage rock. I thought it was a good, adventurous experiment. It showed that Jack White is more than a one-trick pony.

Alex's Trip 05.31.2006 08:22 PM

And I like the YYY's. Their new album isn't as good as the last. It doesn't have the same edginess that the last did. But there are still some good tunes on it.

Everyneurotic 05.31.2006 09:04 PM

what i meant by that example is that:

-the yeah yeah yeahs are a band that's ok with hipsters
-people like to agree across the board on an album's worthyness without even a listen or real appreciation
-when those beliefs are challenged, people freak out and try to cop with the response by not disagreeing straight away.
-the most basic, standard, safe response in conversations with this kind of people is to praise a less known, preferably independently released album (the yyys debut on t&g).
-and when that idea is challenged (that it doesn't matter the label or the justification but the music which boils down to personal taste), people usually either look down on you (if your cred is in question) or change the subject to another safe, generally accepted hipster band (the white stripes in the example).

i didn't mean to be absolute about my example, it's just an example, i don't like yyy or the white stripes at all, but that's me.

max 06.04.2006 08:57 PM

yyy makes me feel sad, i don't get the prima donna experience at all.
pretty much like seeing bono vox performing his shit.

the white stripes, i just never got to listen to those guys.