Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does Thurston like Joy Division? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12047)

Forensic Scene 04.08.2007 02:39 PM

Does Thurston like Joy Division?

Does anyone know? i knid of feel like he would. Just wondering...

Sonic Youth 37 04.08.2007 07:25 PM

I would think he'd have a soft spot for them. The driving bass lines and drumming at least.

Dead-Air 04.08.2007 07:46 PM

In 22 years of following SY closely, I can't think of anytime I've ever heard Thurston namecheck Joy Division or Ian Curtis. Of course that doesn't mean he isn't into them, but I don't think they'd be in his top favorite groups, since he is so vocal about what he's into.

Of course, I never knew Sonic Youth were into Gang of Four until I saw that they were going to be playing at a festival right before them, and they sound very excited to be announcing it. I doubt anybody could be such an important force in Post Punk music and not acknowledge Joy Division as one of the founders of the movement. "She is Not Alone" does seem potentially a bit Joy Division influenced too, now that I think of it.

Danny Himself 04.08.2007 07:51 PM

He likes Interpol, does he not? They're practically the same band, except that Interpol are more good looking and are all alive.

Sonic Youth 37 04.08.2007 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself
He likes Interpol, does he not? They're practically the same band, except that Interpol are more good looking and are all alive.

Although you do make a valid point about their similar sounds, Interpol couldn't even polish Peter Hook's bass.

LittlePuppetBoy 04.08.2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Himself

Really? could you post a link to wherever you discovered that?

Danny Himself 04.08.2007 08:00 PM

I couldn't. I heard it somewhere though. Here's where Thurston logs on and proves me wrong.

sarramkrop 04.08.2007 08:04 PM

The only bands i've always assumed he didn't like were The Cure and The Pixies . Not terribly relevant stuff, you understand. Do get a good night of sleep.

luxinterior 04.08.2007 08:09 PM

Does Thurston like meatball sandwiches?

luxinterior 04.08.2007 08:58 PM

If Thurston hates Joy Division, I might have to stop listening to them.

Pookie 04.08.2007 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
If Thurston hates Joy Division, I might have to stop listening to them.

I play it safe, and don't listen to any music unless I know Thurston approves.

Bal 04.08.2007 10:11 PM

thurston is into death metal

badgercorn 04.08.2007 10:30 PM

Rain King has a bit of a Joy Division feel to it..

hirsute_biped 04.08.2007 11:47 PM

he's only into joy division cover bands; the more innacurate the better...

XenakisMaster 04.09.2007 12:57 AM

[quote=Bal]thurston is into death metal

Of course he is into Death Metal; complex chord changes and complex rythmic structure with dark overtones?....... not poser whiny crap like the Cure. I personally Don't like Joy Divsion, but, to me they are New Wave and I don't like that type, errrrrr, crap of music. ( my version of new wave...." oh why, oh why, oh why......oh why meeeee me me me me me meme me me only me.... why yyyyyyyyyiyyyyyy, 1234".:fuckyou:

Matthew

Protectmeyou 04.09.2007 06:06 AM

ha ha. correction Immortal = Black metal.

the connoisseur will know the difference ;)

_slavo_ 04.09.2007 06:22 AM

TRVE KVLT NORGE BLACK METAL, you say? :)

scott v 04.09.2007 10:07 AM

people who are soo curious as to what thurston is into SUCK...

get an identity, get a mind and use it...

Forensic Scene 04.09.2007 07:58 PM

excuse me scott v, but i have all of those things you listed and i do use my mind. If you are thinking that i am asking this question to confirm my stance on whether i like joy division or not, you are clearly a dumb mother fucker. I like Joy Division alot and i like their subtle noise that is displayed in both of their albums especially Closer. I really wanted to know if Thurston liked them because he is certainly well educated in popular music (and unpopular) and i just wondered if he grabbed any inspiration from the band or for some unknown reason doesn't like the band. I was not asking the question to develop an opinion on Joy Division through Thurston. I was more so just curious and wondered if he liked a band that i respect and like greatly. So correction: you suck.

XenakisMaster 04.10.2007 12:43 AM

[quote=swa(y)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by XenakisMaster

yeah man...totally agree...most new wave sucked. then again...so does most metal.

Ya I agree too most is shitty I like very specific bands, but there are new ones every once and a while.... Black Metal, death metal I dont give a shit what it is called......whatever....If it is good I like it...cliched crap in any vein sucks ass.

The was this cool band from seattle...The accused.....punk death metal wicked.
Matthew