Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   "Psychobilly" (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=17917)

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 04:03 PM

"Psychobilly"

Is anyone into 'Psychobilly' as its termed? Ive always meant to explore what the genre was, mainly because a few years ago i was into a couple of bands who were termed as such but i didnt realise at the time, and being a fan of The Fall and the fact they play some Rockabilly style songs ive been wondering.

sonicl 11.22.2007 04:30 PM

I was into The Meteors a very long time ago. It took me quite a while to realise they weren't very good, but my excuse is that I was living in Portsmouth at the time, and psychobilly was (and still is) very big in Portsmouth.

What about The Cramps? Are we including them in this categorisation? Because they're Gods, you know, and they always will be.

Everyneurotic 11.22.2007 05:21 PM

you mean the new emo?

a lot of kids into the myspace emo goth are going myspace teddy goth.

most bands who play that suck big time, tiger army = social distortion rip off, nekromantix = the cramps minus the edge, and so on.

my interest in this music starts and ends with the cramps...some horrorpops songs are good in a no doubt way.

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
you mean the new emo?

a lot of kids into the myspace emo goth are going myspace teddy goth.

most bands who play that suck big time, tiger army = social distortion rip off, nekromantix = the cramps minus the edge, and so on.

my interest in this music starts and ends with the cramps...some horrorpops songs are good in a no doubt way.

New Emo? I dont like the sound of that... there does seem to be an inherantly dress-up element to what ive seen, ive not got a problem with that, but its something that usually puts me off. What ive heard and read seems to be more about enjoyment rather than indie oneupmanship though.
Seems like The Cramps are the way to go.

ALIEN ANAL 11.22.2007 08:25 PM

is 'reverend horton heat' psychobilly?

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL

I saw him live a couple of years ago, i thought he was marvellous. I think he's connected to the skatepunk industry in some way

ALIEN ANAL 11.22.2007 08:37 PM

skatepunk ? really?
man i have no idea what bands are being called these days crikey

yeh i think hes pretty groovey.

the ikara cult 11.22.2007 08:39 PM

Does anyone remember the 80s Matchbox B-Line disaster?
they were fantastic

Everyneurotic 11.22.2007 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL

ohh he was good, people who used to be into the cramps were into him, but then again, so were people into the mighty bosstones, or rancid, or the stray cats, etc.

---------------------------------------------------

seems like a natural thing going with the mainstream emo, especially here since ska was huge, then people got into the reverse mullet and my chemical romance and now they seem to be combining the two.

yeah, it is a visual thing, the psychobilly rag, i mean, the only reason nekromantix are famous is because the bass player has an upright fashioned from a coffin!

i rather listen to jerry lee, little richard, chuck berry, link wray, sun records-era elvis and all that.

ALIEN ANAL 11.22.2007 09:31 PM

so RHH has a following with a look?

Everyneurotic 11.22.2007 09:54 PM

that was unrelated to rev, i just continued with the post.

sonicl 11.22.2007 11:23 PM

At the height of psychobilly there was a series of videos called something like Stomping At The Club (Klub?) Foot. Try and find one of those for an idea of the sheer horror of that era.

There's a load of CDs of the same name too:

, etc, etc until you reach the "best of":

(which may be a good starting point)

nick2767 11.23.2007 02:45 PM

this is a cracking compilation. it was put together by the cramps and runs through some great psychobilly from the early 60's to 80's. Includes a few originals that the cramps later covered.
I wasn;t really into that scene much (although loved the cramps) but one of the greatist/funniest/maddest gigs I ever went to was the legendary stardust cowboy (he's still around now). He came on stage riding a toy bull and blowing wildy and dissonantly on a bugle. Members of the late period gun club (without JLP) were his backing band, including the gorgeous bassist whose name I now forget. she was in sisters of mercy for a bit.

Florya 11.23.2007 06:16 PM

I seem to remember King Kurt and Gallon Drunk being pretty big on the psychobilly front back in my era.
I think Gallon Drunk are still going.
King Kurt gigs used to get very messy.

Oh yeah, and the Inca Babies! Supported them once, a very long time ago.

sonicl 01.14.2008 06:51 AM

Mr Cult: You are aware, I assume, of your own home town's vital link to the psychobilly scene in the '80s?

RdTv 01.14.2008 08:42 AM

I always thought The Meteors were the ''kings'' of psychobilly....
Anyways my sister is huge into them as well as psychobilly in general, she has been for almost 15 years now, and whenever I hear a discussion this topic I wish she was around to talk about it.

the ikara cult 01.14.2008 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Mr Cult: You are aware, I assume, of your own home town's vital link to the psychobilly scene in the '80s?

Cant say i am Mr L.

sonicl 01.14.2008 08:57 AM

Look up "Guana Batz" on wikipedia.

the ikara cult 01.14.2008 09:04 AM

Well strike me down. Ive never heard of them. My freinds dad was in a Skiffle band, thats the only local musical connection i know (apart from the small matter of Freddy Mercury living there for some period of his life)

atari 2600 01.14.2008 11:57 AM

southern culture on the skids, the meteors, the cramps, rev. horton heat, stray cats when not doing poppier numbers (progenitors along with screamin' jay hawkins?), and many more, and last but not least...

Flat Duo Jets!