Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oh my god, I get Rather Ripped now (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2033)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.20.2006 10:49 AM

Oh my god, I get Rather Ripped now

I'm in this really wierd mood today, and Rather Ripped just seems so coherent to me today, much more than before. Especially the song "Do You Believe in Rapture?"

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.20.2006 10:55 AM

the more i listen, the more i like

Inhuman 05.20.2006 01:51 PM

I haven't really got into Do you Believe In Rapture that much as much as I have with what a waste and Reena. I'm going to wait until I buy it till I listen to it excessively

schizophrenicroom 05.20.2006 01:59 PM

I love Jams Run Free.

static-harmony 05.20.2006 10:55 PM

Am I the only one who likes sleepin' around?

TheDom 05.20.2006 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Sleepin Around is pretty tight.

I really DESPISE "What a waste". Which is funny, because I think the song itself is "what a waste".

The lyrics to it are so damn dumb.

and the lyrics to Sleepin' Around aren't?

acousticrock87 05.20.2006 11:11 PM

"Lyrics are an afterthought"

SonikJesus 05.21.2006 12:53 AM

I liked the early version of Sleepin' Around that was in one of the slide show videos with no vocals. My favorite part was at the end when it started over and then faded out. I was really bummed that they didn't do that on the album version.

max 05.21.2006 06:52 AM

this album is just wonderful, I really really like it. I'm going thru it all again today, as I write now. RATS is playing now. I'm gonna buy it as soon as it comes out.

SLEEPIN AROUND is a beautiful song. My faves are INCINERATE and PINK STEAM... but the whole thing is just too cool. I hope they'll make it to Italy this time around, I wanna see these songs live.

atsonicpark 05.21.2006 07:42 AM

experimental? nope. trash? yes. jet set? i wish. no star? well, i give it one star for the bass line in rats. shite.

xpressway2yrskull 05.21.2006 09:35 AM

I enjoy the music... the melodic interplay between the guitars throughout makes it feel very summer-y to me. It's a bit hit and miss lyrically in my opinion, however I think Kim really excels herself vocally. Pink Steam followed by Or is one hell of an end to an album and sums it up perfectly.

It was kind of inevitable that it wouldn't be too everyones taste.

khchris(original) 05.21.2006 01:09 PM

Best SY album since Washing Machine.

I love The Neutral, how the drums just skate across with the dreamy guitar.

I think Jim leaving was infact a good thing. Loved Jim's work in Gastr Del Sol and his solos, but this album explains alot of things.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.21.2006 01:22 PM

I notice a lot of people on the board don't like change. who wants to listen to the same record all the time? Fuck that, I like new shit, I like the new cd.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.21.2006 01:27 PM

Starting with murray st they slowing become more 'structured' and less improvish.

alyasa 05.21.2006 01:28 PM

From Murray Street to Nurse and now RR. This album is the last of their 70s classic rock influenced trilogy and they really kick out the songs here. It's song heaven, and just in time for Eurovision too. They should have joined.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 05.21.2006 02:07 PM

If you ask me, I'd say NYC G + F is weeker than the new trio albums.

Style 05.21.2006 03:08 PM

It's better than most albums released today, but it does deviate a lot from the older sonic youth sound. It's a little more mellow, more mainstreamish, but I still enjoy listening to it. Pink Steam is probably my favorite track.

alyasa 05.21.2006 03:10 PM

The 3 albums have their strengths. They're no Daydream Nation or EVOl or Sister, of course; but they have a certain charm that grooves into your head if you can bend them around your mind. Thurston asked fans to imagine Fleetwood Mac jamming with Black Flag, when they listen to Sonic Nurse; and that's what I do, actually. :) IMHO, Murray Street is the mellowest of these 3, and it progressively gets rockier, culminating in Reena and Incinerate, which are barely recognizable as 'conventional' (I know) Sonic Youth; they sound more like Television, actually. Not that that's a bad thing, of course...But it's different from 'normal' (I know) Sonic Youth, so you have the preconceptions to get rid of, i think, to actually appreciate what the youf have done for these 3 albums. Just my two cents worth. Thanks for reading.

acousticrock87 05.21.2006 03:21 PM

I think that it's interesting to hear these sides of the band. They still have SYR for the experimental sides. I have to say that Sonic Nurse is one of my least favorite SY albums, but it's good to have. I don't mind their style change at all.

Laila 05.21.2006 09:18 PM

what a waste has the worst lyrics on the whole album. i like reena and jams run free