Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1307)

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:10 PM

Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star

I see that this album gets dissed quite a bit. But I've always loved the whole thing. I think it's a classic.

HaydenAsche 04.26.2006 10:14 PM

I dunno. I don't like it.

Pax Americana 04.26.2006 10:17 PM

I like it, but it's really never been one of my favorites.

schizophrenicroom 04.26.2006 10:17 PM

I like the message of Starfield Road.

Sweet Shine! I love that.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:18 PM

Why not? I don't understand what's bad about it. Not that you can convince me that it isn't good, of course. I like its laid-backness, for lack of a better word.

golden child 04.26.2006 10:18 PM

i bought and listened to it twice and didnt really like it, so i never really listen to it. i should probaly give it another couple spins... acually ill do that now.

HaydenAsche 04.26.2006 10:19 PM

I dunno. I pretty much hate a lot of what SY has done. The stuff I do like I find completely brilliant though.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:19 PM

I like Skink and Doctor's Orders and Tokyo Eye and Winner's Blues.

golden child 04.26.2006 10:20 PM

experimental jetset is really the only one i dont like (putting it in now)
dirty i used to not like but its really grown on me

the first ep is good sometimes, but only when im in the right mood

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:22 PM

This album and A Thousand Leaves are both dear to me. I think A Thousand Leaves is a masterpiece...You know I was going to say that some of the ATL tracks were lacking, but they're not--I like that whole album as well.

Although some of Kim's free-association lyrics do tend to miss the mark at times.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:24 PM

I know, i really dig it too. Why does everyone hate it so much? It has a bunch of really good songs. Sometimes a few of them feel kinda like filler, but most of the time i'm just going along with it all excited and such. Butch Vig returned as producer but i've read that SY turned him down when he requested more takes on songs.
Dirty is probably the only album that makes me mad sometimes; the glossy production, the grungy skateboard vibe, and my ambivalence towards Purr. But i'll admit there are some cool tracks on it though. (on the strip, JC...)
Um, I like Goo. I love the Pettibon cover. But most of the songs kinda feel a bit shallower than youth's other releases. Major label jump I suppose.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:27 PM

Yes, I love On the Strip and JC. Also Theresa's Sound World.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:33 PM

I like Theresa once it gets going but i usually skip it unconciously because i find the guitar sounds a bit like that metallica song. The song is pretty good though, Theresa's Sound World that is.

Drugstore_Cowboy 04.26.2006 10:34 PM

I like it. I prefer NYC Ghosts & Flowers, though, which seems to often get coupled with it.

krastian 04.26.2006 10:35 PM

I've always liked it. Sure it's not Sister or even Dirty, but still. It's Sonic Youth. I love Sonic Youth! Doctor's Orders!

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:41 PM

Actually, I think Sister has some totally brilliant songs (Schizophrenia, Cotton Crown) but is not as consistent as Evol. I also think Jet Set is more consistent than Sister. The whole "We're Ciccone" thing at the end tends to ruin it for me.

schizophrenicroom 04.26.2006 10:44 PM

Master-Dik is killer.

umjammer atomsk 04.26.2006 10:47 PM

Cotton Crown is a fucking beautiful song. Sometimes i wish that Schizophrenia was longer. I love the instrumental part, on both songs naturally.

Daycare Nation 04.26.2006 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umjammer atomsk
Cotton Crown is a fucking beautiful song. Sometimes i wish that Schizophrenia was longer. I love the instrumental part, on both songs naturally.

Yes, I believe those songs capture that transcendent spirit which Sonic Youth uniquely expresses.

Dan 04.26.2006 10:52 PM

I think this was the second Sonic Youth album I bought-- Bad Moon Rising being the first. I like it just as much as any other record of theirs, but I can see why some people weren't digging it as much everything else.