Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   perfect songs (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=7085)

Savage Clone 10.18.2006 09:57 AM

Felt have about 97 perfect songs.

sonicl 10.18.2006 09:59 AM

Gun Club - Breaking Hands

therealglenstyler 10.19.2006 08:52 AM

inner city blues marvin gaye

naturally my mind has gone blank for the rest, i'll get back to you.

ooh how about i wanna know what love is by foreigner? that bit where the choir comes in gives me goose bumps.

sun city girl 10.19.2006 08:58 AM

tomorrow never knows - the beatles

Savage Clone 10.19.2006 09:00 AM

Mother Sky by Can

DemonBox 10.19.2006 09:03 AM

Could You Be The One - Hüsker Dü

Just the most perfect power-pop song in the world. Just fantastic.

And the Gun Club - Sex Beat, and Mother Of Earth are just as perfect as possible.

Belle & Sebastian are great at making perfect pop-tunes such as Lazy Line Painter Jane, Asleep On A Sunbeam, Dog On Wheels, and Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying.

DemonBox 10.19.2006 09:10 AM

Elliott Smith - Calling Up Roses

Sonic Youth - Schizophrenia

Motorpsycho - Trapdoor

Glice 10.19.2006 09:24 AM

There's some good choices here. Hip Priest is most correct. Votes for Schizophrenia are also correct. The Peel box set version of Smile is also perfect. Whoever voted for the Delgadoes is also correct.

My votes go for: Special D - Come With Me; The Carpenters - Goodbye to Love; Abba - Dancing Queen; The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World; Meanwhile, back in Communist Russia - Morning After Pill [I'll up this one later if I remember, much neglected band]; Atari Teenage Riot - Start the Riot; Bomb 20 - Flip Burgers or Die!!!!; ELO - Mr Blue Skys; Pretty much anything by Keiji Haino; Pulp - Babies/ do you remember the first time?...

I'll stop there, I'm getting a little too excited. I've done a little wee in my pants.

gmku 10.19.2006 10:02 AM

"Like a Rolling Stone" on the 1966 concert recording.

fishmonkey 10.19.2006 11:02 AM

Major Leagues - Pavement.

nicfit 10.19.2006 11:47 AM

love will tear us apart - joy division
icarus smicarus - mclusky
honey dew - three second kiss
you don't know jesus - mogwai
good morning captain - slint

porkmarras 10.19.2006 11:50 AM

The one that always springs to mind is Glen Campbell's 'Wichita Lineman'.Such a perfect song.

gmku 10.19.2006 11:53 AM

How can there be so many perfect songs? They can't all be perfect. If there really are perfect songs out there, how come we're not all naming the same songs?

porkmarras 10.19.2006 11:57 AM

Well,i'm gutted that noone has mentioned 'Witchita Lineman' as there is no fault to be found on that song.Perfect from start to finish and the fact that it is sang by a studmuffin adds to all the pleasurable things in this world.

gmku 10.19.2006 11:59 AM

We could make a mix tape from this thread. The Most Perfect Songs in the Universe Ever. Or something.

screamingskull 10.19.2006 12:04 PM

Eels - Estate Sale.

Sonic Youth - Cotton Crown, Washing Machine, Sugar cane.

Sleater Kinney - Get Up, pretty much the whole of the Dig me Out album.

Elliott Smith - EVERYTHING, all his songs are perfect.

The Flaming Lips - Evil will prevail, bad days, this here giraffe, one more robot/sympathy, in the morning of the magicians, Vein of stars.

Cat Power - Water & Air, What would the community think, Say, Metal Heart.

the Cure - High

nicfit 10.19.2006 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
How can there be so many perfect songs? They can't all be perfect. If there really are perfect songs out there, how come we're not all naming the same songs?

duh,here is the first post of this thread,it's quite self-explanatory
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
so,i think there are a few "perfect songs"...i mean,not the best songs in the world,just songs that you like and have NOTHING,not a single note,a sigle background noise,a pause or wathever that you'd like to change and that give you shivers for their sheer beauty every time you listen to them.

i can't wait to go to a friend of mine's home to check some of the songs mentioned in this thread.

Cantankerous 10.19.2006 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
Do feel free to be rude about Nick Cave in return, he's no great shakes in the vocal department either.

i think nick cave has got a great voice!

she's hit, mutiny in heaven - the birthday party
fairytale in the supermarket, adventures close to home - the raincoats

many a tune by mr. bob dylan...

Glice 10.19.2006 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
Well,i'm gutted that noone has mentioned 'Witchita Lineman' as there is no fault to be found on that song.Perfect from start to finish and the fact that it is sang by a studmuffin adds to all the pleasurable things in this world.

"And I need you more than want you/ and I want you for all ti-i-iime..."

True. That is excellent, perfect. On the Country tip, Hank Williams' When you're tired of breaking others hearts, Dolly Parton's My Tennessee mountain home/ coat of many colours and Willie Nelson's blue eyes crying in the rain. Oh, fuck me... Fucking... Kenny Rogers' Lucille. That's on a mixtape. Such an outstandingly perfect song.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 10.19.2006 01:48 PM

there is only one song that I think of as perfect....

Grateful Dead, Eyes of the World, live Feb 2, 1978. yes, I said it. deal with it.