Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Amy Winehouse's Rehab (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=13857)

nomowish 06.12.2007 12:03 AM

Amy Winehouse's Rehab

I thought I was listening to the new Lauryn Hill song from the Surf's Up soundtrack, until I heard the lyrics, "They tried to take me to rehab, but I said, No, no, no", which reminded of me some lyrics I had read in an article or two about Amy Winehouse.

Nice song.

Everyneurotic 06.12.2007 12:13 AM

i rather listen to a 12 year old boy being raped.

nomowish 06.12.2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i rather listen to a 12 year old boy being raped.

Do you by any chance feel the same way about Lauryn Hill?

Everyneurotic 06.12.2007 12:35 AM

her solo stuff always seemed kinda mediocre. the fugees were fantastic, though.

pbradley 06.12.2007 12:38 AM

haha, my disney script writing cousin just gave my mom that Amy Winehouse album for her birthday

but I really don't have an opinion on it... not really my kind of music.

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 12:57 AM

actually, lauryn hill has a really bad drug problem now. that's the main reason pras won't come back for a fugees reunion. back in 2005, they performed at the BET awards and it had become obvious that she was pretty bad off.

in any event, i love amy winehouse, but i'm tired of 'rehab.'

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 01:00 AM

the winehouse album is suprisingly good

val-holla-ing 06.12.2007 01:06 AM

agreed.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 02:27 AM

yeah, this bitch is the worst thing to hit music since pink (or "P!NK" as some idiots spell it...). though not as bad as avril, she has a few things in common with both: 1) she's "REAL"... the production on her records, while still overly glossy, has a "hard edge" (the eq on some of the instruments is a bit more distorted than an N'Sync record or something).2) she's UGLY. i mean, yeah, okay, we'll get into this argument again, "Beauty's in the eye of the beholder" or wahtever but come on... I can see why dudes would find Jessica Simpson attractive, even though I think she's really ugyl... but Amy Winehouse and those aforementioned bitches? UGLY AS DOGS. Uglier.3) she's doing these stupid interviews where she says "fuck" and you got your fucking editor of these stories going "SHE'S NOT YOUR AVERAGE POP STAR.........."4) i haven't seen her video, but i'm taking a guess she is throwing stuff in it at some point? maybe throwing a pillow? breaking something? does she make the mean face? is it glossed over with a mascara-tinged camera filter?i'm sure there's more but fuck.as for lauryn hill, she stinks.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 02:49 AM

i guess she isnt indie enough for atsonicpark, a good album is a good album as far as i am concerned, i'm guessing atsonic hasn't heard too many big band swing albums. and if you are going to bag something out and use seemingly technical things to do it (the eq on some of the instruments is a bit more distorted than an N'Sync record or something) you should perhaps know what you are talking about. and there is more about looks than anything musical apparently.

nicfit 06.12.2007 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
the winehouse album is suprisingly good

It sure is. I'm tired of people judging records by the "public persona" who sings on them, I can enjoy a record even without knowing wether or not the singer says "fuck" in interviews or is good looking. A good song is a good song, no matter who sings it.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:21 AM

what? do YOU know what eq is? how is me saying "the eq on the same of the instruments is a bit more distorted" wrong? controlling the eq can give a wide dynamic range of sounds and you can really clean up an album with it or make it sound... hmm.. "dirtier". trust me -- i'm a fucking producer for christ's sakes.

as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself. if i dislike an artist, i has nothing to do with them being indie or not. so, yeah.

not sure why i even bothered replying to your idiotic post.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:23 AM

oh, and to clarify.

the music is terrible.

i can enjoy music for music's sake, but the music ITSELF is FUCKING TERRIBLE.

i'm just commenting on how annoying of a person she is, as well. so, sue me.

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:23 AM

...............oh fuck. someone just sued me.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atsonicpark
what? do YOU know what eq is? how is me saying "the eq on the same of the instruments is a bit more distorted" wrong? controlling the eq can give a wide dynamic range of sounds and you can really clean up an album with it or make it sound... hmm.. "dirtier". trust me -- i'm a fucking producer for christ's sakes.

as for amy winehouse being indie or not, i'm on the sonic youth board. and sonic youth is far from being indie. not to mention that i like the deftones, system of a down, tool, toadies, the list goes on and on and i don't need to defend myself. if i dislike an artist, i has nothing to do with them being indie or not. so, yeah.

not sure why i even bothered replying to your idiotic post.

and what eq do you use mr producer, 1/3 octave, parametric, compressor with parametric. what models of eq do you use to dirty your sound, i'd like to know they sound like magic.

and at the tender age of what 24 25 you must have an incredible amount of experience

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:30 AM

i use adobe audition/cool edit pro and cakewalk for production. but i am fully aware of what eq is and everything about it. so yeah. no need to defend myself there. i've been producing music since i was 14... i've been SERIOUSLY producing it since i was 16. i'm 21 now.

terminal pharmacy 06.12.2007 03:33 AM

you questioned whether or not i knew what eq was, so back your shit up and tell me what it is, what models you use, why you use those particular ones, or is software eq all you can handle. what mics would you use for what job, and what is more appropriate for what kinds of voices. where does the average vocal range of a person fall on a 1/3 octave graphic, you can't just go trust me im a producer then not back your shit up with knowledge.

as a side note i quite like some of the scissor shock stuff

atsonicpark 06.12.2007 03:50 AM

Well, thank you. It's nice to see that, in the middle of an argument, you can compliment me as well. Civilized!

Anyway, I'm not an EQ EXPERT, I mainly know my shit from software, you obviously know more than me, so I don't know what else to say. I'm pretty sure EVERYONE knows what EQ is, I know more than most people, but I probably couldn't tell you any equipment to use. I'm just Mr. Musicrecordingsoftwareproducer, not Steve Albini. So, yeah.

My whole point in the original post.. i guess I shall restate it: I just think it's FUNNY when artists that want to appear to be "Tough" and "Real" (like Avril, Pink, Amy, all that shit...) get that sub-distorted "edge" layer underneath their otherwise-glossy sound. Know what I'm talking about? Like, you'll hear one of the instruments and it isn't QUITE as glossy (though it still sounds like bubblegum, maybe just bubblegum with a little dirt chunk in it)... it's just hilarious. "tHE GRITTY SOUNDS OF THE NEW QUEEN OF POP MUZAK."

nicfit 06.12.2007 03:54 AM

Now that's a nice "toned down" reply Adam (I mean it for real). Both of you guys did good , this "argument" didn't become too trashy ;) .

sonicl 06.12.2007 04:01 AM

I can't separate Amy Whinehouse the public persona from Amy Whinehouse the musician, I'm afraid. "Rehab" is very catchy in a retro-swing kind of way, but Ms Whinehouse is a severe irritant whose personality negates any musical talent she may have. Oh, and she has a face like a very ugly horse.

OT - Only three posts to go to 4000, Nicfit. I hope your party will be as good as Screamingskull's.