Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What, No Flannel? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=35940)

Moshe 11.25.2009 06:24 AM

What, No Flannel?

http://themoment.blogs.nytimes.com/2...ook-of-grunge/

Rob Instigator 11.25.2009 10:11 AM

I have always asserted that there is no such thing as grunge. that "grunge" was a tag, a label used by those outside the musical underground to describe, very poorly, the sound of certain bands (mudhoney, tad, melvins early soundgarden etc.) the "grunge" look is tyhe same look that american punks wore for decades.
it's fucking rock n roll man.
even the definitive "grunge" act Mudhoney was essentially overdriven creedence mixed with stooges.
Like thurston says in that article, it was just metal kids without the leather.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.25.2009 12:06 PM

just looks like pictures of punkers to me

hooligan37 11.25.2009 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have always asserted that there is no such thing as grunge. that "grunge" was a tag, a label used by those outside the musical underground to describe, very poorly, the sound of certain bands (mudhoney, tad, melvins early soundgarden etc.) the "grunge" look is tyhe same look that american punks wore for decades.
even the definitive "grunge" act Mudhoney was essentially overdriven creedence mixed with stooges.

The so called grunge fad got me out of listening to rap music all together. I was big into NWA,Public Enemy,Ice T and others. Glad these grunge bands came around. It's actually how I got into Sonic Youth. The 100% video will always be a huge turning point in my life for the better. So I say "FOREVER GRUNGE".

P.S I still love Ice T. :p That dude could rhyme!

The Earl Of Slander 11.25.2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hooligan37
I was big into NWA,Public Enemy,Ice T and others. Glad these grunge bands came around.

You speak as if this is a bad thing?

static-harmony 11.26.2009 12:14 AM

I have seen this book, it looks interesting.

hooligan37 11.27.2009 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
You speak as if this is a bad thing?

Well it was great at the time. New rappers suck now. Happy not to be into it anymore. But I do still listen to the old classics. Staight outta Compton crazy motherfucker named Ice Cube, from the gang.....ya know!

infinitemusic 11.28.2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

True, but who cares? This has been debated endlessly and it doesn't change anything. People sill know exactly what you're talking about when you say "grunge".

Dead-Air 11.28.2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
just looks like pictures of punkers to me

well, yeah. Nirvana described themselves as a punk band too. if he'd taken a few more pics from say '85 he'd have caught a lot of those same kids with longer hair getting into the metal and psych things to mix with their punk. he'd of caught some flannel too, because we lived in the fucking rainy NW. it wasn't fashion, it was what your parents gave you for Christmas that you stretched through the whole year so as not to have to buy clothes.

amazing the term "grunge" is still marketable. if the book had been called "80s Seattle Street Kids" which is what the guy really shot, he wouldn't have sold anything to speak of.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 11.29.2009 01:34 AM

flannel is awesome

good for the winter, good for the summer, good anytime really