Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   I gave Sonic Youth a 0.0 rating on Pitchfork (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=86350)

Moshe 01.12.2013 12:36 AM

I gave Sonic Youth a 0.0 rating on Pitchfork

https://timeoutchicago.com/arts-cult...fork-%E2%80%9D

Peterpuff 01.14.2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moshe

Interesting read. I was not sure what to make of this though. I quite remember that review and when it came out. I wanted to be all pissed off, and was...but at the same time I have to appreciate the fact that that single review made me realize what a true piece of shit website Pitchfork actually was. It was eye-opening on multiple levels.

scott v 01.14.2013 01:18 PM

Pitchfork still is in many ways a piece of shit website.

EVOLghost 01.14.2013 01:33 PM

I've never typed pitchfork in my address bar. Probably never will either.

Rob Instigator 01.14.2013 01:57 PM

Pitchfork used to provide exposure for new acts that needed it, but since then have codified themselves into such a rigorous little music clique that it has become hard to enjoy.

tesla69 01.14.2013 02:04 PM

"No, the lesson here is: Beware the opinions of a kid right out of college."

No, the lesson is don't pay attention to dopes.

noisereductions 01.14.2013 06:48 PM

" I apologized and told him that I now love the record. It’s unlike anything else, eerie and beautiful."

well, a dozen years later and he's finally figured out? Good for him!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.14.2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
" I apologized and told him that I now love the record. It’s unlike anything else, eerie and beautiful."

well, a dozen years later and he's finally figured out? Good for him!

It takes Sonic Youth fans decades to finally synthesize and digest to appreciation differing albums, and clearly this guy is a dork so lets cut him some pity-party slack.

Quote:

The iconic Gotham band, always one of my favorites, responded by buying new equipment and recording NYC Ghosts & Flowers, an album of pointilist, tuneless, beatnik street jazz. It couldn’t have been more Manhattan art scene had it been Jean-Michel Basquiat reading slam poetry over John Zorn’s ringtones. Come to think of it, that’s basically what it sounds like.

dude, didn't those fuckers in Irvine steal the whole damn van or trailer? In regards to NYC, nailed it ;)

noisereductions 01.14.2013 07:51 PM

I think what bugs me is that this kind of retraction piece should be published on Pitchfork, where their readers might see it.

Dude McDude 01.15.2013 01:44 AM

I gave that article an ass fisting. With my foot.

Severian 01.15.2013 08:46 PM

I can't believe an entire generation of young music fans sprouted from the (now admittedly) arbitrary musings of people so goddamn young. Young people are idiots, and college kids are the most impressionable and fickle fuckers in the world. That review even had an impact on me, and I can only remember about five (max) reviews from that site, and I peeked at it often for years.

I still bought the album, loved it, and hated the shot out of pitchfork for their presumptuous, all-too-intentionally witty nitpicking and bullshitting. But I still think about it. Literally every time I listen to the album, I think, "someone gave this thing a zero... ZERO out of ten!?" And even though I don't remember a word of the review itself, it irks me to this day that anyone would make such a boldly stupid claim, while handing out 10's like hard candy to all the derivative and infantile fucks who only exist because of Sonic Youth.

Yes, an actual Pitchfork re-review is definitely called for.

noisereductions 01.15.2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
I can't believe an entire generation of young music fans sprouted from the (now admittedly) arbitrary musings of people so goddamn young. Young people are idiots, and college kids are the most impressionable and fickle fuckers in the world. That review even had an impact on me, and I can only remember about five (max) reviews from that site, and I peeked at it often for years.

I still bought the album, loved it, and hated the shot out of pitchfork for their presumptuous, all-too-intentionally witty nitpicking and bullshitting. But I still think about it. Literally every time I listen to the album, I think, "someone gave this thing a zero... ZERO out of ten!?" And even though I don't remember a word of the review itself, it irks me to this day that anyone would make such a boldly stupid claim, while handing out 10's like hard candy to all the derivative and infantile fucks who only exist because of Sonic Youth.

Yes, an actual Pitchfork re-review is definitely called for.

the one thing I remember was something like "our generation finally has our own Metal Machine Music."

Ugh.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.15.2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

on Pitchfork, where their readers might see it.

They have readers on Pitchfork?

Severian 01.19.2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

the one thing I remember was something like "our generation finally has our own Metal Machine Music."

Ugh.

Thank you! That is a great example of something someone who has read about, but never heard, these albums would say for cred.

Knowing they were a bunch if pampered, just out of college brats puts Things into perspective pretty well.

Diesel 01.20.2013 07:06 AM

0.0 = awesome

bloodcrystallisetosand 01.21.2013 06:20 AM

I check pitchfork every day, god knows why because I disagree with pretty much everything they say. Black metal is now officially cool, just so you good folks know. Also, if you want a laugh, read the review of the most recent Rihanna album - it's like that bit in one of the early Simpsons where Martin strains his hand up in class saying "Oh please pick me teacher, I'm ever so smart"...

the ikara cult 01.25.2013 06:35 PM

A 0/10 review is a much better sign of quality than a 5/10 review, as this review, and TMs reaction to it, amply demonstrates.

candymoan 01.31.2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

I think what bugs me is that this kind of retraction piece should be published on Pitchfork, where their readers might see it.

but that would require some balls, my friend..
pitchfork does not "respect" - probably they feel too cool to be respectful to artists or fans..

!@#$%! 01.31.2013 10:20 AM

who?

noisereductions 01.31.2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
A 0/10 review is a much better sign of quality than a 5/10 review, as this review, and TMs reaction to it, amply demonstrates.

good call!