Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Steve Albini Goes Off on Sonic Youth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=41652)

Moshe 10.05.2010 10:20 PM

Steve Albini Goes Off on Sonic Youth

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/09/steve-albini.html

mcap 10.05.2010 10:24 PM

I found this through pitchfork. God I hate pitchfork.

This feels like Steve said a lot more (he is a Rambler... see what I did there?), but the interviewer only picked out the meaty bits...

auto-aim 10.05.2010 10:59 PM

fair comment, I think.

finding nobody 10.05.2010 11:30 PM

What he says is makes sense to me. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but I can totally see where he coming from..

atsonicpark 10.06.2010 12:18 AM

Thanks for that.

Has nothing to do with the thread really, but I met Albini about 8 years ago and he was the nicest person ever.

radarmaker 10.06.2010 02:25 AM

Isn't that exactly the same response he's given for the past 20 years?

nicfit 10.06.2010 02:45 AM

I'll never understand how someone can not consider movies as an art form.

About the sy bits, I dunno, I think that he "should" play that alternative history game a bit, if you think something was not good I guess this implies that you also think things would have been better without that thing happening, no?

By the way, yeah, no big news, and I like the fact that he can "discern" some choices from the music/people behind them.

If you don't agree with someone else's particular ideas/actions it doesn't mean you have to hate him. They'll toast to 2011 together haha.

Sykid87 10.06.2010 04:21 AM

I just think its stupid. If Albini is denouncing certain career moves, then he is no better than the mainstream.

nicfit 10.06.2010 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykid87
I just think its stupid. If Albini is denouncing certain career moves, then he is no better than the mainstream.

Yeah, saying what you think is so mainstream, eh :o..

Sykid87 10.06.2010 04:52 AM

no, im saying that albini seems to have a formula just like the mainstream does in order to make or break a respectable band, hence him being no better than the mainstream...

Why cant people just like what they like?

Adolfo 10.06.2010 05:20 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6zVUvmkyvA

shabbray2.0 10.06.2010 05:23 AM

interesting read, thanks moshe.

noisereductions 10.06.2010 07:34 AM

blah blah blah

Satan 10.06.2010 07:35 AM

he makes a valid point but he still sounds like an elitist prick

hevusa 10.06.2010 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adolfo

Henry has it right, as usual.

demonrail666 10.06.2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Satan
he makes a valid point but he still sounds like an elitist prick

This

chicka 10.06.2010 11:22 AM

It's only friggin music for petesakes. This indy/mainstream argument is to me silly. I like what I like and I don't care how I get it as long as I get. Satan's got it right he is an elitist prick. He sure makes a ton of money off of other people's sweat yet he has the nerve to get on the case of others who are doing the same. He's a jerk in my book.

Rob Instigator 10.06.2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sykid87
no, im saying that albini seems to have a formula just like the mainstream does in order to make or break a respectable band, hence him being no better than the mainstream...

for fucking sure it makes him better. What you call his "formula" is a process of recording which captures on magnetic tape the near-exact sound of a band playing LIVE. It is infinitely better than the mainstreams "formula" of over-processed, lowest-common denominator decision making.

an Albini recorded band will sound full and thick and raw, just as they do live. most mainstream bands sound like fucking plastic on record ad live need a lot of extraneous effects and musicians to try and replicate the bullshit mainstream producers saddle songs with these days.

all things are NOT relative.

Rob Instigator 10.06.2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicka
It's only friggin music for petesakes. This indy/mainstream argument is to me silly. I like what I like and I don't care how I get it as long as I get. Satan's got it right he is an elitist prick. He sure makes a ton of money off of other people's sweat yet he has the nerve to get on the case of others who are doing the same. He's a jerk in my book.

How does he make a TON of money? he charges young bands less than $4,000 (edit) to record entire albums. he provides bands with free studio space.
albini is a fucking maverick!

Rob Instigator 10.06.2010 12:13 PM

I agree with most of what he said, and if you read between the lines of thrustons and lee's and Kim's words about Geffen after they left, they see it too. Geffen used them as bait to pull in other acts who were them used abused and discarded just as major labels always do and have done. This also allowed major labels to go wild buying up tons of indie labes wholesale, rebranding them, and using them as fake-ass "indie" extensions of their massive conglomerates.
the sonics have also hinted many times at how right away theyr were disappointed by geffen and their decision to jump to them. They were glad that the back catalog got distribution, but that came at a big price. They admit that they had to react to the whims of the geffen execs in record promotion, the songs used on albums, marketing, etc.
that shit all sucks.

and I for one hated hated hated seeing sonic youth on shit ass gossip girl and all the other super mainstream bullshit they ahve done.

No one is perfect though, and SY are still the greatest band in the world to me.