Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Comets on Fire - Avatar (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8537)

fishmonkey 11.30.2006 06:23 AM

Comets on Fire - Avatar

Comets on Fire are my new beau's
i fuckin love em, all the other bands i like can go fuck themselves. i have Blue Cathedral (thanks to my good friend sonicl) and i have the new album Avatar. i still have to get their first two albums (does anyone know what these are like?)

Can anyone else recommend some more Comets on Fire type bands?
but for now i wanna know..

Whats yr favorite song off Avatar?

porkmarras 11.30.2006 06:30 AM

I haven't got Avatar.Fish,do you like Six Organs Of Admittance too?

fishmonkey 11.30.2006 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
I haven't got Avatar.Fish,do you like Six Organs Of Admittance too?

no i havent heard of em, but researching Comets i have found that they are someway connected, whats the crack? are they good? whats should i get by them?
Porkie, get Avatar man, its fuckin deadly. i can copy it for you and stick it in the post if you want.

porkmarras 11.30.2006 06:40 AM

Ben Chasney plays in both bands.I wont recommend an album in particular because i love them all and they are one of my favourite bands around.Oh well,a random one:
Dark Noontide

It's incredibly beautiful.

Thanks for the offer,i'll pm you and burn you some Six Organs Of Admittance in return.

pokkeherrie 11.30.2006 07:18 AM

i haven't heard avatar yet. the only ones i have are blue cathedral and field recordings from the sun. field recordings is completely amazing, i thoroughly recommend you'd get it.

overall i'm more of a six organs of admittance fan though (which is mainly a solo thing by ben chasney backed by an ever changing lineup of guest musicians)

Onani Nic 11.30.2006 07:48 AM

[quote=fishmonkey]
quote]

Some similar bands (I guess):
Hawkwind
High Rise
Solar Anus
Blue Cheer
Vincent Black Shadow
Mammatus
Rocket from the Tombs

Savage Clone 11.30.2006 09:47 AM

High Rise are the closest. Seems like they were a primary influence on CoF.
I like about 65% of Avatar in a huge way, but the 70s AOR dusty desert ballad classic rock type stuff on this album doesn't do it for me at all. Still, the good stuff more than outweighs the stuff that is not to my taste on this album. I love all their other stuff 100%.

As for 6 organs, I like Dust and Chimes, Dark Noontide and The Sun Awakens the best. Totally different though; mystical acoustic stuff.

Comets On Fire totally slay live.

cellscape 11.30.2006 11:06 AM

I chanced upon Six Organs entire discography online I believe since I have about 10 albums now. I listen to them all on shuffle, but had 3 before I got the others. Its all good. I really like "School of the Flower."
Comets on Fire is a little newer to me. Ben's guitar is easy to indentify after listening to six organs.

dazedcola 11.30.2006 02:31 PM

i love Blue Cathedral, just this awesome mash of noise psychedelic rock. I have the new lp but haven't really gave it a listen yet.I heard its supposed to be a more subdued sound in comparison to the out of control feeling that blue cathedral brings about.

!@#$%! 11.30.2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishmonkey
but for now i wanna know..

how about some 70's santana? :p

Savage Clone 11.30.2006 02:39 PM

^
f
u
c
k

y
o
u

pokkeherrie 11.30.2006 02:41 PM

don't make the Clone put on his cape!

Savage Clone 11.30.2006 03:04 PM

Oh, yeah, I never answered the question.
My favorite tune on the album is "Jaybird."
Fantastic!

!@#$%! 11.30.2006 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
^
f
u
c
k

y
o
u

you're not proposing we have sex without love, are you?

Savage Clone 11.30.2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you're not proposing we have sex without love, are you?

You're the one who writes an all-too-detailed blog about his latest underwear purchases! You said these were "strictly a comfort thing," but I think you are sending mixed messages for someone with your strict moral code.

!@#$%! 11.30.2006 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
You're the one who writes an all-too-detailed blog about his latest underwear purchases! You said these were "strictly a comfort thing," but I think you are sending mixed messages for someone with your strict moral code.

bitch! i can't rep you any more! i'm going to have to send you flowers.

but you MUST shave your asscheeks first, you hear?

krastian 12.01.2006 01:14 AM

I really like Blue Cathedral, but I haven't really listened to Avatar enough to say.

Everyneurotic 12.01.2006 12:17 PM

swallow's eye is by far the best song in the album since it showcases their new found songwriter's voice yet fuse their signature psych-punk freak out style with awesome solos.

still avatar was a let down for me, i'm really looking forward to the one after this one, though.

similar bands, besides the ones already mentioned:
acid mothers temple, when they get heavy and fast.
pink fairies
some hawkwind
major stars
musica transonic (duh!)

dazedcola 12.16.2006 01:49 PM

ok, i heard it now. It's not as good as blue cathedral but still enjoyable.The big difference bwtn the two is on this on e they actually sing instead of just scream.There's still some great noisy songs on here like "dogwood rust", "holy teeth" and "swallow's eye" but they just aren't as off the wall as BC peak moments. I really liked their last song though "hatched upon the age", the singing and guitar playing work perfectly and give off this starry night wisdom from experience feel to it.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 09.17.2007 08:21 PM

Listening to it now. I just finished lucifer's memory so I voted for that one.