Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

Glice 03.18.2008 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i'm also just started nietzsche's daybreak, a good edition

anyway that is that

Ooh, I'm not familiar with that - where does that feature in his chronology?

pbradley 03.18.2008 03:56 AM

I'm stuck at a particularly mind blowing (even by my standards) chapter of this:

Alex's Trip 03.18.2008 08:15 AM

afterthefact 03.18.2008 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex's Trip

I've never read Capote, although I hear he's good.

Right now I am reading:

mangajunky 03.18.2008 09:03 AM

Prelude to Foundation - Isaac Asimov

Pookie 03.23.2008 08:11 PM

Stan Barstow - A Kind of Loving

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 08:26 PM

This. It defeated me a year ago, but I've decided that I'm going to power through it this time. I've yet to start...

uhler 03.23.2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37

This. It defeated me a year ago, but I've decided that I'm going to power through it this time. I've yet to start...

i'm saving that for my bus ride up to nyc when move there. i can't wait to read it!.

i just finished the minutemen double nickels on a dime 33 1/3 book. it's really good i thought.

next up is the neil young harvest one. i can't wait to read that!

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 08:35 PM

I read about 150 pages of it last year but after that I just bogged down with class work and Steinbeck and never got a chance to finish it. I'm still just halfway through Portrait of the Artist as well.

uhler 03.23.2008 08:42 PM

Quote:

I read about 150 pages of it last year but after that I just bogged down with class work and Steinbeck and never got a chance to finish it. I'm still just halfway through Portrait of the Artist as well.

yeah i got through 50 pages but i had other stuff to do. ulysses is something you read when you have a lot of time on your hands.

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 08:44 PM

I'd throw East of Eden into that category too. I hated it the entire time I was reading it because of how wordy and drawn out it was, but afterwards I count it among my top 10 favorite books.

uhler 03.23.2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

I'd throw East of Eden into that category too. I hated it the entire time I was reading it because of how wordy and drawn out it was, but afterwards I count it among my top 10 favorite books.

yeah, i'm like that too. the idiot was like that. it took me 3 different reads to finish it, but whne i did it became one of my favorite novels.

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 08:57 PM

Come to think of it, the only large volume reading that I didn't get bogged down on at all was when I read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy stuff and that clocks in at well over 1,000 pages. Still, quite possibly the funniest stuff every written at times.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:00 PM

Quote:

Come to think of it, the only large volume reading that I didn't get bogged down on at all was when I read all the Hitchhiker's Guide to Galaxy stuff and that clocks in at well over 1,000 pages. Still, quite possibly the funniest stuff every written at times.

yeah i haven't read that yet. my friend has and said it was good. i try to read a book in just one setting but sometimes i put it down for a few weeks and pick it back up for some reason. i bet a lot of people do that though.

Sonic Youth 37 03.23.2008 09:05 PM

When I was ready really heavily, I'd have 3 books going at one time and try to read at least a chapter a day in each.

I can't recommend the Hitchhiker's series enough. It just takes some time to find all the parts. Walden books usually has the trilogy for $20 but there's another book and short story after those. I think the complete volume can be had in paperback for around $30. If you like totally irrelevant and senseless humor that isn't that lowbrow, you should enjoy it thoroughly.

uhler 03.23.2008 09:13 PM

[quote=Sonic Youth 37]When I was ready really heavily, I'd have 3 books going at one time and try to read at least a chapter a day in each.

I can't recommend the Hitchhiker's series enough. It just takes some time to find all the parts. Walden books usually has the trilogy for $20 but there's another book and short story after those. I think the complete volume can be had in paperback for around $30. If you like totally irrelevant and senseless humor that isn't that lowbrow, you should enjoy it thoroughly.[/quote

i can only read music books or some history books when i'm reading a few books at once. when reading a novel, i have to just pay attention to that one novel. i think that's why i put down a novel for awhile because i find another one and i try to read them both but i have to pick and chose in the end.

i'll check it out. when i move i'll have plenty of time to read whatever books i decide to read, but that may well be one of them.

Death & the Maiden 03.23.2008 10:03 PM

The 13 1/2 Lives Of Captain Bluebear

Dead-Air 03.24.2008 04:41 AM

I'm just finishing up the China Mieville collection of stories called Looking for Jake. Quite a bit more horror material than his well known Fantasy-SF novels, but equally well written.

pbradley 03.24.2008 05:35 AM

I've been drifting back to my Portable Beat Reader.

Reminding myself how much I dig Burroughs.

krastian 03.24.2008 03:01 PM

I've always loved that pic of Jack and Bill.