Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2013" thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85990)

Severian 04.15.2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pad_023
Yeah it is, it is from the period 1986-93 so pretty stellar SCG stuff.

Sacred Bones just put out two really nice Chilean psych rock records recently.

I bought the Föllakzoid LP the other day without havin heard any of the songs. I have their self titled album, but honestly had no idea this was even coming out.

I'm not at all disappointed.

EvdWee 04.16.2013 04:46 AM

The Föllakzoid record is pretty good. no really new or original to me, but i like it.

dead_battery 04.16.2013 09:19 AM

http://youtu.be/2gictaixiQw

SYRFox 04.16.2013 11:43 AM

that's what's up
most promising sounds in 2013 so far. atsonicpark would have loved this if he were still on here

h8kurdt 04.16.2013 12:53 PM

Just listening to this now and so far, so great. Shame the dreadful front cover.

chocolate_ladyland 04.16.2013 01:31 PM

first post!

been loving stuff this year from MBV, nick cave, flaming lips, wolf eyes, iceage, thee oh sees, ensemble pearl, fire! orchestra, autechre, pete swanson, prurient and beach fossils

also, anything sacred bones puts out i pretty well spring for (expect for that turd of an album by the men). especially looking forward to this pharmakon release

haven't heard the new deerhunter either. something about listening to an album a month before it's proper release date has never sat well with me. i liked the single tho

batreleaser 04.16.2013 05:10 PM

im trying to get ahold of margaret chardiet aka pharmakon for a piece im writing, no email back yet, stressful. shes great tho.

Severian 04.17.2013 06:09 AM

Sacred Bones has been releasing some of the best music around these days. The new Psychic Ills is great too. Same goes for Led Er Est and the Men. Great label branding too. Their LPs look incredible.

Bal 04.18.2013 04:29 AM

the knife - shaking the habitual is some sick, sick music!

A Thousand Threads 04.18.2013 04:36 AM

fits in here aswell

Barn Owl - V
Saw them play yesterday and they really surprised me. much, much better than the last time I've seen them. It's great that they moved away from using guitars live (still bits of sampled guitar bliss though). All these nice stereo pan things and subtle use of beats here and there - it really worked well. One of the best shows I've seen in a while.
Highly recommend seeing these guys european tour dates

Severian 04.18.2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
the knife - shaking the habitual is some sick, sick music!

Agree completely. The first two tracks alone are enough to make it totally worth buying. I'm somewhat surprised actually. The creepy, weird ass groove of the first album is still there, but it's also full of new and different sounds. Unsettlingly danceable. Just how I like it.

batreleaser 04.18.2013 08:57 PM

listening to the new yeah yeah yeahs, this first song is amazing. i kind of what i always wanted them to sound like. a very sexy sort of haunting pop music, hypnotic in its pull. and grandiose, those backups toward the end of the song. im excited for this, and i havent considered myself a fan in a long time.

guest 04.24.2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox

that's what's up
most promising sounds in 2013 so far. atsonicpark would have loved this if he were still on here

very nice.

guest 04.24.2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
first post!

been loving stuff this year from MBV, nick cave, flaming lips, wolf eyes, iceage, thee oh sees, ensemble pearl, fire! orchestra, autechre, pete swanson, prurient and beach fossils

also, anything sacred bones puts out i pretty well spring for (expect for that turd of an album by the men). especially looking forward to this pharmakon release

haven't heard the new deerhunter either. something about listening to an album a month before it's proper release date has never sat well with me. i liked the single tho

also yes.

to be honest I'm not getting the hype on pharmakon, I mean it's great that a woman is making it in a decidedly masculine scene, but her music is bland as fuck. I don't find it to be in any way confronting, in fact I think it's cheesy, not to mention the fact that I don't think her music can even be considered noise given that isn't necessarily abrasive. maybe relative to post-2000s stuff, but as with much of that it seems soulless, redundant.

chocolate_ladyland 04.25.2013 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest
also yes.

to be honest I'm not getting the hype on pharmakon, I mean it's great that a woman is making it in a decidedly masculine scene, but her music is bland as fuck. I don't find it to be in any way confronting, in fact I think it's cheesy, not to mention the fact that I don't think her music can even be considered noise given that isn't necessarily abrasive. maybe relative to post-2000s stuff, but as with much of that it seems soulless, redundant.

no love for Flaming Lips and Iceage (I get not liking wussy jangle pop i.e. Beach House)?

louder 04.25.2013 02:24 AM

that Iceage is easily the best rock record of the year so far. love how they sound like Warsaw.

guest 04.25.2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocolate_ladyland
no love for Flaming Lips and Iceage (I get not liking wussy jangle pop i.e. Beach House)?

none whatsoever. I've never been big on the lips at all, I liked them as a concept but I want to fucking stomp on wayne coyne's face. having said that, it would be nigh on impossible to do so considering how far it is up his own arse. iceage, I don't know. I didn't mind their first record, but nothing has compelled me to return to them. they seem a bit contrived to me, talented though, really talented bunch.

wussy jangle pop is good if it is done right, ie with a fuckload of distortion, but beach fossils are just so fucking clean it makes me want to drown myself in acid. I much prefer them to beach house though; why the fuck would you make music if you don't want to evolve? it just seems stupid to me.

the others though are all absolutely brilliant, very good year thus far. now all I want from it is the new mbv ep (hahahahaaaaaaaaaa) which I do believe kevin would have been working on for the last two months in between tour dates.

and new boards of canada, of course. if that comes out I will literally die.

Severian 04.25.2013 06:37 AM

Check out the new iceage though. Surprisingly well designed and dynamic for a modern day punk record. Better than the first record, all things considered.

pad_023 04.25.2013 12:30 PM

Robedoor's 2nd album of the year is awesome. It's just been released by a French Label called Hands in the Dark record.
Dystopian sci-fi psychedelic doom, perfect soundtrack for driving at night.

https://soundcloud.com/hitd-3/01-stagnant-venom

h8kurdt 04.25.2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Check out the new iceage though. Surprisingly well designed and dynamic for a modern day punk record. Better than the first record, all things considered.

Just listening to it. So far I'm enjoying it. Gonna give it a few more listens though.