Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

Severian 02.09.2016 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Peyton Manning had a press conference where Snoop Dogg asked him a question he replied, "well, snoop..."

Rap names can become legit

Ok ok ok, man you just wanna argue with me about everything these days bro! And you haven't even replied to my pm's or my question about "She's so heavy" ... You got beef son?

Severian 02.09.2016 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
It's coming. Kanye tweeted that the acronym of the final title is TLOP and he's letting people guess the full title.

TLOP?

The love of Pussy?

... Take Licks of Popsicle?

Looks too much like Flop for my tastes.

Ugh. This is frustrating. Kanye has always picked pretty bizarre album names. The College Dropout is iconic now so it's hard to remember how basic a phrase that is. Graduation is also super commonplace, but works for such an epic album.

Late Registration was weird, but perfect. 808's & Heartbreak was weird, perfect, a bit meta, and now it's like scripture. Same with MBDTF. I think So Help Me God would have been ok, but like that Rolling Stone article stated Kanye should probably do what he can to avoid fading into the crowd, and anyone could call an alum that.

TLOP... God fucking dammit now this is going to be all I can think about at work. Thanks louder you career destroyer!!

Rob Instigator 02.09.2016 12:15 PM

Kevin Gates ISLAH debuts at #2 on Billboard Top 100 http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/02/k...lah-billboard/

Severian 02.09.2016 12:36 PM

DUDES!!! This is happening! The day after tomorrow, we're getting our first new piece of Ye in damn near Three years! Fuck, man!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 02.09.2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Ok ok ok, man you just wanna argue with me about everything these days bro! And you haven't even replied to my pm's or my question about "She's so heavy" ... You got beef son?

Who is arguing? You're pretty jumpy Severian

louder 02.09.2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Kevin Gates ISLAH debuts at #2 on Billboard Top 100 http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2016/02/k...lah-billboard/

112,000! That's insane. Not even far off from Rihanna.

Rob Instigator 02.09.2016 04:54 PM

I think Kevin Gates' birthday was the other day. one of the stations in Houston played like a 6 song block of his tunes.

Severian 02.09.2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Who is arguing? You're pretty jumpy Severian

Hey is that my buddy Mick Taylor from Wolf Creek?

And no I'm not jumpy, I was just fucking 'round.

I would appreciate it if you at least acknowledged the fact that I've asked you 300 times what you think of "I want you (she's so heavy)" ... ???

noisereductions 02.09.2016 10:47 PM

I listened to some tracks from that Kevin Gates album, and I dont' feel like I'm hearing what you guys are hearing. Nothing's really grabbing me. I don't know. "Hard For" and "2 Phones" seemed alright. Kind of catchy. But a lot of it... I can't say his flow is particularly great or his lyrics all that interesting. Beats were pretty good. I just... this is getting a lot of hype and I'm not quite sure why. (Yet?)

Checked out some of that new Young Thug as well. Also not really grabbing me.

I'll probably keep both in my Spotify library for now and see if keeping them shuffled in w/ other stuff grabs my attention anymore. But I don't know.

If y'all are interested, this is what I have in rotation right now...

Anderson Paak - Malibu
Bill Frisell - When You Wish Upon A Star
David Bowie - Black Star
DIIV - Is The Is Are
Dr. Lonnie Smith - Evolution
Elliott Smith - Heaven Adores You Soundtrack
GoGo Penguin - Man Made Object
Kevin Gates - Islah
Rihanna - Anti
Tortoise - The Catastrophist
Wiz Khalifa - Khalifa
Young Thug - I'm Up

...my Spotify library gets treated like Survivor each year. I add stuff of interest and slowly stuff gets cut from the list as I find myself urging to skip tracks when the album shows up on shuffle.

Severian 02.09.2016 11:33 PM

I got Catastrophist. Gave it a spin, but didn't really connect with it immediately.

Anyway, NR: I kinda get what you're saying about Kevin Gates. I don't think te album is as good as it's being made out to be either. I mean, it's good. Better than a lot of stuff. But it's not brilliant. I just enjoy how it kinda mixes things up a bit, going for more wild and unconventional vocal styles, which reminds me of Wayne back when Wayne was Wayne. It's a strong record, certainly, but it's not mind blowing.

noisereductions 02.10.2016 08:15 AM

word. I don't think it's bad by any means. But I can't imagine it having a lasting impression on me. I can't see me still listening to it in June... nevermind December.

The Tortoise album is decent. But unremarkable.

I'm noticing a theme here so far haha.

Rob Instigator 02.10.2016 09:29 AM

With Gates I am more stuck on songs of his than the full album.

louder 02.10.2016 10:58 AM

Agreed that the Gates album is good, not amazing.

The KING and Anderson Paak albums are my top 2 so far.

Severian 02.10.2016 06:30 PM

NEW KANYE TOMORROW!!!

Something about it came in at the entertainment desk at work today, but I was not the one putting those pages out, so I only heard about it second hand.

It was terrible man. This new girl, fresh out of college opened the email and said "something about a new Kanye West album came in," and my fucking dumbass editor was like "just delete it... unsubscribe" and they proceeded to giggle about how "some people" just can't get enough of themselves.

I'm sitting there listening to this shit, trying not to scream, "DONT YOU DARE DELETE THAT EMAIL UNTIL YOU TELL ME WHAT IT SAYS. And fuck you anyway!!!" It was like holding in an explosive bowl movement... in public.

Yeah, "some people" are SOOO into themselves that they, like, have record companies that have media brokers who, like, ANNOUNCE things... Like when the artist of the century is dropping a new album. Insane right, it's almost like "some people" think we're, like, a NEWSPAPER or some shit.

Fucking shit heads.

louder 02.10.2016 08:09 PM

So the final title is "The Life of Pablo"

And No More Parties in LA isn't on it anymore

Severian 02.10.2016 08:09 PM

SPIN releases TERRIBLY written story about Kanye West, gets the date of his show wrong, forgets that he's releasing a new album tomorrow while also suggesting that it's called "The Life of Pablo," has NO IDEA what countdown website could *possibly* be counting down, and has apparently fired at least one editor.

louder 02.10.2016 08:11 PM

At least The Life of Pablo is legit. He just tweeted about it.

Severian 02.10.2016 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
So the final title is "The Life of Pablo"

And No More Parties in LA isn't on it anymore

That's ok with me actually. Love the song but it's not an all out work of absolute genius like "Real Friends." The song's out there, we can hear it....

Plus, look at that note... It says "which one" .... We might still be totally in the dark about everything. For all we know, he could drop Good Ass Job tomorrow and it could be filled with McCartney collabs.

Whatever, tomorrow is Ye day. I'm stoked.

Severian 02.10.2016 08:13 PM

Why is there a colon after "Ultra Light Beams" ...?

That would be an ok album title. I guess. Whatever bros, 'Ye's coming!!!

Severian 02.10.2016 08:14 PM

yeezy does it.