Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   David Bowie's mimes. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=5659)

Pookie 09.02.2006 07:00 AM

David Bowie's mimes.

_tunic_ 09.02.2006 07:27 AM

Bowie rules!
Have you ever seen the Cracked Actor documentary? It's the best thing I've seen in a long time. It's up on the Trader's Den at the moment:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/...rac ked+actor

atari 2600 09.02.2006 08:12 AM

Glad to hear some love for Bowie, _tunic_. I listened to Aladdin Sane, Station to Station & Low yesterday.

atari 2600 09.02.2006 09:43 AM

Look! He's wearing a puffy shirt.

He can mime. He's good at it.

I, like most people, am not big on the miming.
That's just the way it goes.
I am, sometimes into the rhyming, though.

hey alex 09.02.2006 03:50 PM

he reminds me of the joker there.

I bought an LP of station to station a week ago and left it in my car... it warpped before i got to listen to it. It was a total drag.

Ono Soul 09.02.2006 04:22 PM

Bowie studied miming under Lindsay Kemp in the sixties. One of the things I've always loved about Bowie is the way he drew from so many diverse influences well outside the relatively narrow world of rock music. For example, the way the Ziggy-era stage show contained elements of miming and Kabuki theater or the way he incorporated Orwell's "1984" and William Burroughs' cut up technique into the lyrics of "Diamond Dogs". He's drawn from such a diverse well of influences throughout his career and as he himself has pointed out, his greatest talent probably lies in his ability to create these unique synthesises, these unholy marriages, in his work. That's what he's all about, really. I think Sonic Youth has done something similar in the sense that their aesthetic is just as influenced by say, abstract painting and beat poetry as it is by other musicians. And I think people like Bowie's and SY's knowledge of not only music, but art, film and literature, and their ability to gain inspiration from these other mediums and incorporate that into their work, is by and large what makes them so special.

HaydenAsche 09.02.2006 04:23 PM

Twat.

krastian 09.03.2006 04:19 AM

Bowie rules, but the miming is borderline creepy.

atari 2600 09.03.2006 09:50 AM

The Bowie doc that's played on the Biography channel has a good minute or two of vintage mime footage.

Who has more great albums than Bowie?

No one...besides Sonic Youth, Neil Young, The Stones & The Beatles.

TheDom 09.03.2006 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Who has more great albums than Bowie?

No one...besides Sonic Youth, Neil Young, The Stones & The Beatles.

THE GRATEFUL DEAD

atari 2600 09.03.2006 09:56 AM

studio albums?

The only GD releases that are great are Aoxomoxoa, Workingman's Dead, & American Beauty.

Blues for Allah & In the Dark are just good.

Reckoning & Europe '72 are monstrously sweet, but they are releases of live recordings.

TheDom 09.03.2006 10:01 AM

so officially released lives don't count?

atari 2600 09.03.2006 10:04 AM

If you want them to haha.
Well, Zappa has a gazillion studio albums, but how many are really great besides Apostrophe, Joe's Garage & Over-nite Sensation? Hot Rats & Baby Snakes & many others are good.

TheDom 09.03.2006 10:06 AM

true, true

and I do agree with you about them only having a couple of great studio albums. Anthem Of The Sun is great too, though it has live recordings mixed in with the studio record.

But ya just can't beat the live stuff like Live/Dead and Skull & Roses and the Dick's Picks series.

The only Zappa LP I've ever enjoyed was Hot Rats. and some parts of Weasels Ripped My Flesh

atari 2600 09.03.2006 10:08 AM

There's way too many great live dead ones to even begin counting.

I believe khchris(original) wrote once that Apostrophe is Zappa's best. I agree. At the time, I didn't wanna write that I agreed.

atari 2600 09.03.2006 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Twat.

Whiny Homos & Irritable Malcontents

Yeah, Bowie is/was bi. He was never an insufferable jerk though.

Just a bit of my own damage...

Asim 09.03.2006 10:18 AM

Bowie = 1 excellent albums and 3 goods ones, then pure junk

I guess he's good, a bit boring

atari 2600 09.03.2006 10:22 AM

out yo mind

I consider Let's Dance as a great album even.

1 great one? WHIM can sponsor you if you need help with accutane or anti-psychotic medication.

Hunky Dory
Ziggy
Aladdin Sane

3 that can top most anyone right there.

Asim 09.03.2006 11:31 AM

Everyone here listen to Brian Eno's pop albums and maybe some of his ambient now, totally better than Bowie.

Ziggy is excellent though and might be better than Take Tiger Mountain, just a comparison of 70 pop solo albums

_tunic_ 09.03.2006 03:48 PM

I'm thinking about buyng one or two more Bowie CDs but I have no clue which ones... what I have now is Ziggy Stardust, the BBC sessions (including the bonus CD), and a Best of I never listen to.
So, what should I buy next?

I love the Ziggy Stadust album, played it in my car yesterday, I think it may have caused me some speeding tickets ;-)