Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Bruce Russell (The Dead C) talks about Sonic Youth (briefly) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=11523)

sonicl 03.21.2007 02:04 AM

Bruce Russell (The Dead C) talks about Sonic Youth (briefly)

From Invisible Jukebox in The Wire, April 2007, responding to being played Burning Spear from Walls Have Ears:

When I first saw them in 1986, I'd never heard a note and I only saw them because they were supporting JAMC. JAMC were already past their prime but SY were just incredible. I'd read about both them and Swans in NME, and I'd bought a Swans record and hadn't liked it very much. But I hadn't investigated SY, because their records were almost impossible to get in New Zealand. So after I'd seen them I basically rushed out and bought everything I could. When I went back to NZ in 1986, I bored everyone shitless going on about SY at great length....

... You see, if I were them, I would have just kept doing this for 20 years. But they're much more restless souls than we are. I think it's impossible to overestimate the effect that they have had on rock music in general, as an example to bands of all stripes of what could be done. And also if you do acheive a modicum of success, how you can actually turn that to your advantage and also to general public advantage. I can't think of any other bands who've achieved their moderate level of success and done so much good wth it.

Moshe 03.21.2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicl
I can't think of any other bands who've achieved their moderate level of success and done so much good wth it.

Thanks sonicl. That is exactly what I think about SY.

sonicl 03.21.2007 04:53 AM

Hey, they're Bruce Russell's words, not mine. :)

o o o 03.21.2007 04:55 AM

Thanks.
I am really interested in reading the rest of his Invisible Jukebox and I guess I will soon have the opportunity to do so, but in the meantime just one little question: is there any mention of the new Dead C album in the feature?

sonicl 03.21.2007 04:59 AM

I can't remember. Sorry :o I'll reread it this evening.

Good to see you here, by the way, o o o. I was only thinking the other day that you didn't seem to have posted much since ATP.

o o o 03.21.2007 05:25 AM

No problem... I think I will also get the issue very soon anyway.

It's true, I haven't posted that much, although I have been checking the board regularly; but these days I do it mostly at work, where the conditions are not optimal for posting (opening the page and reading is one thing, but to log in and to start posting is another, I guess)...

sonicl 03.22.2007 04:20 AM

The only mention of the new Dead C album is that it will be rekeased on Ba-Da-Bing in mid-2007 and will be called Future Artists.

o o o 03.22.2007 08:45 AM

Thanks!
In short, nothing new: the title and the label had already been announced, only the release date seems to get pushed back regularly...

jon boy 03.22.2007 08:55 AM

cheers me dears.