Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Reassuringly Short Frank Zappa Thread. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15910)

demonrail666 08.29.2007 03:12 PM

The Reassuringly Short Frank Zappa Thread.

I own two Frank Zappa albums, We're only in it For the Money (which I love) and Over-Nite Sensation (which I quite like). The problem is that I sort of want to get more stuff but I know that there are some REAL clunkers out there that need avoiding. I also know that Zappa tends to part opinion like nobody's business. Anyway, given all that, and the fact that I really like ... In it For the Money, can anyone recommend some other stuff?

Glice 08.29.2007 03:14 PM

Anything. Suicide. Not the band, actual suicide.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek Bailey
Nothing's crapper than Frank Zappa

Thanks, Mr Bailey, y'mad old/ dead hat you.

screamingskull 08.29.2007 03:17 PM

my dad LOVES Frank Zappa, he owns EVERYTHING by him, and one day i will inherit it all, i only have "ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch" but its pretty kool.

Savage Clone 08.29.2007 03:17 PM

Freak Out and Hot Rats are the only ones I can still stand.

screamingskull 08.29.2007 03:23 PM

Valley Girl She's a Valley Girl!!!!!!

Barf me out, Gag me with a spoon!!!!!!!

nomadicfollower 08.29.2007 03:24 PM

Freak Out is my favorite.

screamingskull 08.29.2007 03:27 PM

Non Not Now No Not Now, Maybe Later!!!!!!

nostalgia!!!!

Tonight, tonight, tonight, she changed her mind, and i don't blame her!!!!

demonrail666 08.29.2007 03:37 PM

I think I'll get Freak Out, see how it feels before, all going well, maybe move on to Hot Rats after that. The thing is, I know that if i end up liking that too, I'm gonna get more Zappa, until I hit some hideous mid-80s thing that's gonna ruin my life forever. God, I really sort of wanted to hate ... In it For the Money, just so I wouldn't have to suffer later down the line.

atari 2600 08.29.2007 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
my dad LOVES Frank Zappa, he owns EVERYTHING by him, and one day i will inherit it all, i only have "ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch" but its pretty kool.

I think that one is generally usually quite underrated.

"Valley Girl"::music
Lay's::appetite

You can't listen to it just once!

I don't really eat potato chips (crisps, whatever), but you get my meaning.

I'll say go for Hot Rats and Apostrophe.

SuperCreep 08.29.2007 04:29 PM

I love Zappa. His material after One Size Fits All is a bit spotty for me, but mostly everything before that is worth checking out. I suggest making Freak Out!, Absolutely Free, and Apostrophe (') your next purchases.

Torn Curtain 08.29.2007 04:40 PM

I second Hot rats and Freak out.

atsonicpark 08.29.2007 07:33 PM

i've heard.. hmm.. looking at his discography, i guess i've heard approximately .5% of his output..

my favorite is weasels ripped my flesh..

Everyneurotic 08.29.2007 10:12 PM

i remembering listening to freak out and thinking it was shite.

however, i want to give weasels and in it for the money a chance.

still, his greatest talent was (which reminds me of the racist musicians thread) his interviews and discovering beefheart and alice.

total-trash 08.29.2007 10:17 PM

i tried getting into him once and bought cheap thrills. i didn't like it much

pbradley 08.29.2007 10:24 PM

Hot Rats is the only one I've listened to and liked. Willie The Pimp has got to be one of my favorite Capt. Beefheart on vocals.

atsonicpark 08.29.2007 11:56 PM

yeah, his best talent was discovering captain beefheart! his films are amazing though..

sarramkrop 08.30.2007 03:44 AM

He's gayer than a glass of Ocean Spray with ice in it.

atsonicpark 08.01.2008 05:11 PM

of course.

viewtiful_alan 08.01.2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I own two Frank Zappa albums, We're only in it For the Money (which I love) and Over-Nite Sensation (which I quite like). The problem is that I sort of want to get more stuff but I know that there are some REAL clunkers out there that need avoiding. I also know that Zappa tends to part opinion like nobody's business. Anyway, given all that, and the fact that I really like ... In it For the Money, can anyone recommend some other stuff?

Freak out is essential. And if you liked Over-Nite Sensation than Apostrophe is a must.

viewtiful_alan 08.01.2008 05:15 PM

Haha did this pop up at the exact same time as mine?