Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Diamond Dogs Come Out. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3963)

lovesonicevol 07.09.2006 05:01 PM

Diamond Dogs Come Out.

Mr. Bowie. Where to begin...........Well, are there any Bowie fanatics out there. I myself fit into that category well. I may not like him as much as SY or Nick Cave but damn is his music 100%. I just bought David Live and it is great. It was recorded right after the release of Diamond Dogs (one of my favorite Bowie LPs.) I just wanted to see if there are any Space Odditys out there among the SY nation. Give me a post.

thindarkduke13 07.18.2006 12:24 AM

I LUVE David. I dont have DD. I have
Station To Station
Low
"Heroes"
Scary Monsters
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdin Sane
Young Americans
Hunky Dory

top 40 squeeze 07.18.2006 12:36 AM

Back in the seventies, David Bowie had the longest back to back to back great record streak ever.

Space Oddity
Hunky Dory
The Man Who Sold the World
Ziggy Stardust
Alladin Sane
Diamond Dogs
Young Americans
Station to Station
Low
Lodger
Heros
Scary Monsters

That's 12 rock solid records in 11 years. I still believe no one has touched that in terms of consistancy and prolificness, to this day.

Although, Sonic Youth come close.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.18.2006 12:40 AM

THIS AIN'T ROCK AND ROLL! THIS IS GENOCIDE!

I fucking love Diamond Dogs. My favorite Bowie album. For me it goes:

1. Diamond Dogs
2. Station to Station
3. Lodger
4. Low
5. Ziggy Stardust
everything else

Everything he did before Let's Dance was pretty phenomenal though.

Diamond Dogs is just such a great album. Side 1 is amazing. I can't see why people don't like this album- Future Legend/ Diamond Dogs is an awesome intro, then it goes into Sweet Thing/Candidate/Reprise, and out of the feedback comes Rebel Rebel. I don't think you can really beat that. Side 2 is awesome as well. We Are The Dead has some of the best lyrics ever.

I think he is the greatest rock and roller. He's responsible for post-punk and everything that followed. I'll take him over any other single artist.

Cantankerous 07.18.2006 12:51 AM

HEEEEY MAN

he had a nice mullet going on

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.18.2006 12:59 AM

That he did. But somehow he managed to pen some of the sexiest songs ever written.

luxinterior 07.18.2006 01:30 AM

I love this man. He has helped me become the pervert that I am today.

acousticrock87 07.18.2006 01:35 AM

I can't find that fucking album anywhere. It's the only CD of his I like.

porkmarras 07.18.2006 05:50 AM

He was fine from 1970 till,maybe 1983.Someone should have wrestled the bastard into not making anymore records ages ago.The 'Drum 'n Bass' direction that he took in the mid-90s is one of the most embarassing things that your dad could do to humiliate you in front of your pals.

sonicl 07.18.2006 06:05 AM

Agreed with Porkmarras. Much as I like Bowie, maybe he should have retired in the mid-80's and allowed the legacy of what he'd already recorded to represent him.

I saw his Meltdown show at the Royal Festival Hall in London about four years ago, when he played Heathen in full for his first set then Low in full for the second, and it was something only a true disciple could have loved.

I can appreciate, and admire, Bowie's refusal for his own sake to just play greatest hits shows, but the trouble is that his more recent (e.g. the last 20 years) stuff tarnishes his reputation.

terminal pharmacy 07.18.2006 08:32 AM

i like bowie, not a huge fan but you do have to give him credit where it is due

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.18.2006 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porkmarras
He was fine from 1970 till,maybe 1983.Someone should have wrestled the bastard into not making anymore records ages ago.The 'Drum 'n Bass' direction that he took in the mid-90s is one of the most embarassing things that your dad could do to humiliate you in front of your pals.

Someone told me that Bowie was going to bang Freddie Mercury back in the day. Unfortunately, Lou Reed knew Freddie had AIDS and stopped old David Bowie from doing it.

I really wish John Cale impaled Lou Reed with his viola when he had the chance.

krastian 07.18.2006 05:42 PM

I like some of the stuff he did in the 90's....I love Outside and I thought Earthling was pretty good too. But yeah Outside....I really wore that one out when I was in 8th and 9th grade....love it.

nomadicfollower 07.18.2006 05:45 PM

I haven't heard this album. I guess it's because I haven't ever been a huge Bowie fan. I might pick it up soon, though.

There's not enough Aladdin Sane love on here. The piano break in the song Aladdin Sane is enough for the album to get a notable mention.

luxinterior 07.18.2006 07:01 PM

I have the Aladdin Sane album cover poster in my room. It is most likely coming to college with me.

Toilet & Bowels 07.18.2006 07:20 PM

i'm nonplussed by the man and his music.

Daycare Nation 07.18.2006 07:53 PM

ArtistAlbum (Release Date)Ownership1 David BowieLet's Dance (1983) CD2 David BowieHunky Dory [Rykodisc] (1990) CD3 David BowieThe Man Who Sold the World [Rykodisc] (1990) CD4 David Bowie"Heroes" [Rykodisc] (1991) CD5 David BowieLow [Rykodisc] (1991) CD6 David BowieOutside (1995) CD7 David BowieEarthling (1997) CD8 David BowieI Dig Everything - The 1966 Pye Singles (1999) CD9 David BowieThe Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars [30th Anniversary 2CD Edition] (2002) CD10 David BowieAladdin Sane [30th Anniversary 2CD Edition] (2003) CD11 David BowieDiamond Dogs [30th Anniversary 2CD Edition] (2004) CD12 Various Artists - Tribute Albums - David BowieCrash Course for the Ravers: A Tribute to the Songs of David Bowie (1996) CD

krastian 07.18.2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luxinterior
I have the Aladdin Sane album cover poster in my room. It is most likely coming to college with me.

Oh it better go!;)

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 07.18.2006 08:26 PM

My brother had a huge Aladdin Sane poster in his dorm room. There is a really dorky picture of him standing next to it somewhere.

I got to say though, Live and Stage don't do much for me. I generally don't like live albums though, I prefer live DVDs and videos.

porkmarras 07.19.2006 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Someone told me that Bowie was going to bang Freddie Mercury back in the day. Unfortunately, Lou Reed knew Freddie had AIDS and stopped old David Bowie from doing it.

I really wish John Cale impaled Lou Reed with his viola when he had the chance.

Rumours about that viola abound.What's welsh for Zen?