Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mercury Rev? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=12890)

ZEROpumpkins 05.04.2007 07:24 AM

Mercury Rev?

Are they any good? I've been considering buying one of their albums, and the loval record store near where I work has Deserters songs and All is a dream bundled for 17.99 AUS. Is this worth it?

NWRA 05.04.2007 10:47 AM

I think Deserters Song's is great; full of wonderful melodies, a rich and magical atmosphere. However, there are a few traces of the overblown orchestration and ‘enchanted wood’ themes, which have grown and ruined every release since the album.

Therefore I would recommend Yerself Is Steam more. It's their album most likely to appease a fan of Sonic Youth. It's chaotic, switching between psychedelic beauty and squealing white noise. It's damn heavy at times yet always melodic.

_slavo_ 05.04.2007 11:16 AM

No, please no.

They're no good.

Spend the money on this lovely set instead:

floatingslowly 05.04.2007 12:16 PM

the newer stuff is not really their best work.

get Yrself Is Steam and Boces. both of those albums are solid classics in my book.

Deserter's Song is ok as far as the new stuff goes (ie: post 1993, post David Baker). All Is Dream is ok too...but again, not as good as the first two albums and not even as good as Deserter's Songs (I'm not really a fan of of Jonathan Donahue's singing, but David Fridmann is a musical genius).

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWRA
I think Deserters Song's is great; full of wonderful melodies, a rich and magical atmosphere. However, there are a few traces of the overblown orchestration and ‘enchanted wood’ themes, which have grown and ruined every release since the album.

my sentiments exactly.

PAULYBEE2656 05.04.2007 12:39 PM

STOP!!!!!!!!! dont go and get the vastly overrated deserters songs and the equally overrated all is dream or anything they did when they became trendy... mercury rev existed before their "debut" album!!! go out and get yerself is steam, boces, and even see you on the other side. its their best work by a country mile....... dave baker was a legendary frontman and todays rev pales into insignificance against them.

shady lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dazedcola 05.04.2007 01:09 PM

wow, its cool to see how everyone hear likes the good early years of mercury rev the best. I reiterate get Yerself is Steam and Boces those are their best and noisest records.

ZEROpumpkins 05.04.2007 09:45 PM

Good-o, thanks guys.

pbradley 05.04.2007 09:54 PM

Might as well pick up the Flaming Lips' Hit To Death In The Future Head with Yerself Is Steam since there's a quite a bit of crossover with Dave Fridman's and Jonathan Donahue's input.

ZEROpumpkins 05.04.2007 10:17 PM

Already have that FL album.

pbradley 05.04.2007 10:29 PM

cool

Massassinated 05.05.2007 04:20 AM

I agree with everybody here : Yerself is steam is obviously the best one.

PAULYBEE2656 05.05.2007 05:39 AM

aint it strange that both flaming lips and mercury rev went real popular and musically lame around the same time, deserters songs and soft bulletin...... everything after and including these releases sucked everything before rocked!

if you can find it, check out dave bakers solo album "world" under the name shady, its excellent!

pbradley 05.05.2007 06:31 AM

Am I really going to have to mention my love for The Solt Bulletin in the Unpopuular Opinion thread?

ZEROpumpkins 05.05.2007 06:37 AM

Soft Bulletin was so overrated...
I honestly don't get what's so ground breaking about it? I haven't heard screamedelica, but from what i've read about it, it seems like a similar progression in their career. But also I can infer that screamedelica is way better, and 8 years earlier.