Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   A Novel You've Always Intended to Read. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=22908)

!@#$%! 06.24.2008 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Did he visit Marx's grave at Highgate cemetary? That tends to attract a sizable gathering of simpletons too.

she.

no, she did research there & loved the place.

gmku 06.24.2008 08:31 PM

Anybody ever read Geronimo Rex by Barry Hannah? I go back to it about every third summer. It's kind of wild.

Sonic Youth 37 06.24.2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
someone tell me if i should bother reading these

Yes, 1984 is great. Animal Farm is a good week-end read.

Mine:
A Brave New World (I bought a copy, just haven't got around to it)
The whole Divine Comedy, have read 2 translations of Inferno, got halfway through Purgatory and put it down.
a shitton of Steinbeck (mainly Of Mice and Men) and Kerouac.

demonrail666 06.24.2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
she.

no, she did research there & loved the place.

What London, or Highgate cemetary?

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Yes, 1984 is great. Animal Farm is a good week-end read.

Mine:
A Brave New World (I bought a copy, just haven't got around to it)
The whole Divine Comedy, have read 2 translations of Inferno, got halfway through Purgatory and put it down.
a shitton of Steinbeck (mainly Of Mice and Men) and Kerouac.

don't bother reading of mice and men. it's dull.

demonrail666 06.24.2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

a shitton of Steinbeck.

Cannery Row is one of my favourite novels, period.

!@#$%! 06.24.2008 08:35 PM

Quote:

you've read all the good parts, the rest is shit.

gmku 06.24.2008 08:35 PM

I'm not a Steinbeck fan either.

For whatever reason, I can't get into new "literary" novels. I have favorite old ones, many of them, but I haven't found many in the last 10 years or so that really fire my imagination. If I read new novels, they're usually in the spy/thriller genre.

demonrail666 06.24.2008 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I'm not a Steinbeck fan either.

For whatever reason, I can't get into new "literary" novels. I have favorite old ones, many of them, but I haven't found many in the last 10 years or so that really fire my imagination. If I read new novels, they're usually in the spy/thriller genre.

I wouldn't describe Steinbeck as being particularly literary. If anything he's looked down on slightly by high-brow types for being quite populist.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 08:42 PM

of mice and men was the only one i ever read and i found it to be pretty boring and trite, but i don't have anything against john steinbeck.
i do have something against william faulkner though.

something else i've always intended to read is more shakespeare aside from romeo & juliette.

gmku 06.24.2008 08:42 PM

& I didn't call him literary. Two different trains of thought there. Sorry, I should have made them more distinct. I was responding to earlier posts on Steinbeck, and then explaining my dislike of current literary novelists.

I can see how you'd think I was making that connection though.

gmku 06.24.2008 08:44 PM

Quote:

of mice and men was the only one i ever read and i found it to be pretty boring and trite, but i don't have anything against john steinbeck.
i do have something against william faulkner though.

something else i've always intended to read is more shakespeare aside from romeo & juliette.

One shouldn't hold anything against any writer. They have it tough as it is.

Though I'm not particularly fond of Stephen King.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
One shouldn't hold anything against any writer. They have it tough as it is.

Though I'm not particularly fond of Stephen King.

i don't have anything against any of them i don't think. i just really really hate everything william faulkner has ever written and i tried to like it really hard.

!@#$%! 06.24.2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

just really really hate everything william faulkner has ever written and i tried to like it really hard.

yeah but why though? i still havent heard.

gmku 06.24.2008 08:48 PM

Faulkner's not an easy read. But he's sort of like listening to Dylan--when he clicks, it's like a light bulb goes on and suddenly it's all clear. But you have to have patience, and I think the only reason I enjoyed what I read by him is because I had great teachers teaching his stuff.

demonrail666 06.24.2008 08:52 PM

Faulkner is someone I really think I should read.

I should read more Gabriel Garcia Marquez too.

Cantankerous 06.24.2008 08:53 PM

Quote:

yeah but why though? i still havent heard.

it just really does not appeal to me. all that southern novelist shit, not just him. i have no problem with the way it's written or what have you, it's actually written well but the subject matter is just echchhhhhhhh

!@#$%! 06.24.2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

it just really does not appeal to me. all that southern novelist shit, not just him. i have no problem with the way it's written or what have you, it's actually written well but the subject matter is just echchhhhhhhh

ah!

Sonic Youth 37 06.24.2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Cannery Row is one of my favourite novels, period.

I have it, never read it. I'm seriously have about 30-50 novels that I've never once opened. Library was giving them away, so I took them.

Quote:

you've read all the good parts, the rest is shit.

Yeah, the paragraph translation I have bores me to no end. I loved the Inferno translation that kept verse form.

jonathan 06.25.2008 12:56 AM

On the subject of Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath is an excellent novel, although I was younger when I read it and can now point to a dozen other novels that are worth reading over that one.

I'd really like to "get" Faulkner.

I've tried more times than I can count to read Heart of Darkness and have never been able to finish it. I feel like it's one of those books that really pays off at the the end...