Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Are sonic youth satanists? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=81)

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 08:41 PM

you don't want to go on because you guys aren't trve evol kvlt fans

a thousand leaves of a dead tree in a neoyorkian winter

wouldn't it be awesome if for the rather ripped era, sy start to wear corpsepaint?

HaydenAsche 03.22.2006 08:45 PM

You mean they didn't? I always thought they were wearing corpsepaint.

Everyneurotic 03.22.2006 08:53 PM

ok, i have to say:

the "satanic" imagery in sonic youth's lyrics come largely from thurston's catholic upbringing, it's obvious, every person, or at least rocker, who was brought up this way can't escape this (much like geezer butler's lyrics in black sabbath, who are commonly referred to as satanists. in fact, at some point in his life, butler wanted to become a priest but changed his opinions on a lot of the things in the religion).

also, the band uses this imageries because it's a long standing tradition of a certain strain of rock bands to adopt this, to look mean or sinister. sonic youth belongs to a certain category of bands who are more intellectual and, almost as a consensus, reject the trappings of the more mainstream and clichéd rock bands. sonic youth, both to separate themselves from their peers (like they always do) and to acknowlegde their influences (like sabbath, alice cooper, kiss, bowie, the classic 70's hard rock thing; not to mention the metal they are into, like venom or celtic frost), use the satan mentions in their lyrics.

also, it is funny that a serious band, accepted by avant guardists and the rock literatti, can have satanic lyrics. they are not supposed to do it.

flophousefloozie 03.22.2006 09:12 PM

Quote:

but I think desiring demons to visit you in the night doesn't reflect a love of life, but rather a love of satan.

or maybe just a poetic representation of something entirely different? Anyway, if they are satanists, i hope coco leads the cult trend eventually.

_slavo_ 03.23.2006 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpressway2yrskull
I heard Bob didn't quit... they crucified him.

hahaha....and Richard Edson left to join the true Norwegian Black Metal Mafia and burn down some churches:)

Everyneurotic 03.23.2006 03:46 PM

richard edson left for norway to burn down churches and start a black metal band

(EDIT::i forgot to credit slavo)

his new name is fenriz and his band is darkthrone

Soundtrax 03.23.2006 06:44 PM

satanism is so stupid ! its the metalhead thing... its even stupider than christianity or islam and all that shit

greenlight 03.23.2006 09:52 PM

i was wonderting too. could somebody post pic of trhurston from rock am ring festival '05? check out jumper he's wearing.

_slavo_ 03.24.2006 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
What does it say?

it shows a cross upside down. seriously.

_slavo_ 03.24.2006 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AssBlaster
You do know that one of the Anglican church's symbols is the upside down cross, don't you?

It's because St. Peter is their patron saint, and as I'm sure everyone knows, St. Peter was crucified on an upside down cross, because he didn't want to be confused with Jesus.

I'm not saying that's why Thurston wore the shirt...just offering a possibility.

But yeah, that is odd. I hope the band answers the Satanic question when they start answering board questions... it might be fun and slightly provocative!

no, I wasn't aware of that Anglican church reference. I just though of Thurston's provocative intent (which is likely anyway)

noumenal 03.24.2006 12:54 PM

If any of you had read Dancing With Demons: The Music's Real Master by Jeff Godwin (like I have), then you would know that ALL rock music is used by Satan to lure kids away from the Lord.

Anyone want me to post some passages?

It was published by Chick Publications in 1988. Chick are those guys that make the chick tracts.
http://www.chick.com

Good stuff.

scott v 03.24.2006 01:28 PM

There is a difference between being a satanist and having an interest in the subject, i think its just a curiousity like alot of subject matter can be in a lyrical context. Don't dig to deep into the meaning of those lyrics are you'll be easily strayed in the wrong direction... to do this would seem to be a very gullible and illogical process.

lets try to be a little more sensical and realistic than just asking questions like, "are SY satanists?"... its like "oh please..."

i need not to go on any further...

unlurker 03.24.2006 01:53 PM

assblaster,

how about you describe your religious leanings so we can ascertain why you are asking this question (and pushing it so hard)
otherwise, most will think you are a troll trying to start an argument (or worse, trying to convert us to whatever religion it is that you belong to)

thanks

spiritbears 03.24.2006 01:59 PM

unlurker, scott v...
assblaster=discodaddy
please ignore this troll and he will go away...do not respond to him...

Everyneurotic 03.24.2006 02:50 PM

a question:

so what if they are satanists?

sellouteater 03.24.2006 03:40 PM

Sonic youth are not satin worshipers. Now will this thread die.

Savage Clone 03.24.2006 03:43 PM

Satan hates it when you spell his name wrong.
He's not silky sheets, he's the fucking Prince of Darkness!

Glice 03.24.2006 03:48 PM

I'm supporting Assblaster here. It's not a thought I've ever had, it seems like there's a possiblity of it not being a merely capricious one.

And to be fair, I think it's very poor show to criticise people for starting banal or irellevant threads when that's what 99% of the threads around here are.

While I don't necessarily care about the subject matter, or think it's important, I think it's pretty idiotic to criticise one persons interest for being stupid or trolling when there's a million other posts from more tenured boardies which are as banal as this one may be (but isn't to my mind).

There, rant over. Go Assblaster.

Savage Clone 03.24.2006 03:53 PM

Yeah, anyone is free to jump to whatever ridiculous conclusion s/he likes, and we are free to ridicule the ridiculous.
Thanks for the fodder!

sellouteater 03.24.2006 03:53 PM

my bad satan