Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   best love songs? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=120139)

yonicbooth 09.04.2019 04:41 PM

best love songs?

what are some songs about love that make you feel all fuzzy inside?

Antagon 09.04.2019 05:58 PM

Huh, some time ago I'd have said most of the love-themed songs I enjoy are generally more in the breakup or unrequited love vein. But I guess I do indulge in the warm and fuzzies a bit more these days. So for what it's worth:

A lot of MBV's catalogue (too many to list)
Einstürzende Neubauten - Stella Maris

The Magnetic Fields - The Book Of Love
The Magnetic Fields - Nothing Matters While We're Dancing

Camper Van Beethoven - One Of These Days
Peter Murphy - A Strange Kind Of Love
(Though I hesitate to call it warm and fuzzy. It's sincere, definitely romantic. But more mysterious and autumnal in terms of the tone it goes for)
Judee Sill - The Kiss (A weird case of a song that both exudes an enormous warmth, but also incredibly sadness at the same time. Anyway, it's a fucking incredible song)
Judee Sill - Lady O

Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
Lou Reed - Crazy Feeling

Mors Syphilitica - This Love Ours (Weird one in terms of presentation and arrangement, but probably one of the purest love-songs I enjoy.)
Dave Van Ronk - Another Time And Place (Alright, this might take the cake in terms of pure love-songs)
Cranes - Pale Blue Sky
Pixies - La La Love You (For shits and giggles, it's pretty tongue in cheek)
The Cure - Catch (If you ignore the fact that it's supposedly about an imaginary friend Robert Smith had due to a concussion he suffered as a kid, it makes for a damn fine twee love tune. Didn't pick the obvious choice "Lovesong", because the somewhat melancholy arrangement is tonally at odds with the lyrical content.)

The Blasting Company - Over The Garden Wall (Off the soundtrack by the same name)
The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes For You (I mean, for all it has been over-and-misused in commercials and whatnot, it's still one of the finest tunes of the Doo-Wop era and I'll be damned if it doesn't emit an atmospherical smoothness that is out of this world. And their rendition is just so far beyond all of the other versions I've heard. If it weren't for the lyrics, it'd even be a completely different song than the one it is based on.)
The old Jazz-standard "You Go To My Head" - I really like Natalie Cole's rendition of it

Might just add things to that list if I can think of any other tunes come to mind. But most things I thought of right now had at least a tinge of sadness in them. It's still a challenge to find any more "chipper" examples among the sincere lovesongs I enjoy.

_tunic_ 09.05.2019 01:51 AM

Sinead O'Connor - Damn Your Eyes
first one to pop in my mind. It's actually a cover but I don't know the original. It was released as a B-side of Three Babies

Nick Cave - Black Hair
more a breakup song probably but still

I should also name songs by Nina Simone, Jacques Brel, Chet Baker but can't be bothered right now