Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   uncoventional lyrics (any help is appreciated) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79705)

lloyd 07.10.2012 11:36 AM

uncoventional lyrics (any help is appreciated)

i'm looking for music with unconventional/bizarre/weird lyrics. basically songs that aren't about love. or they can be about love but not a traditional love song aka about unrequited love /loving somebody so much/appreciating them etc. unless its freaky obsession or whatever. patience & prudence - tonight you belong to me is a good example of an unusual creepy love song especially cuz its sung by two little girls. maybe the song tells a story or is about a subject like food or whatever. hopefully you catch my drift.

some examples:

beatles - taxman
bikini kill or bratmobile singing about feminism
velvet underground - heroin
any john waters compilation, tracks like paul evans - happy go lucky me
most bruce haack tracks
cabaret voltaire - nag nag nag
Jacqueline Taib - 7 Heures Du Matin
006 - like what, me worry?

no genre specified except no emo or heavy metal.

SpaceCadetHayden 07.10.2012 11:48 AM

anything off xiu xiu's knife play or a promise

Derek 07.10.2012 12:09 PM

sun city girls

Genteel Death 07.10.2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lloyd
tonight you belong to me is a good example of an unusual creepy love song especially cuz its sung by two little girls. maybe the song tells a story or is about a subject like food or whatever. hopefully you catch my drift.

Get 12 year olds to write lyrics. Weird.

Genteel Death 07.10.2012 04:44 PM

Bruce Haack's lyrics are ridiculous, not weird or unconventional . And they're often forgettable.

Genteel Death 07.10.2012 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
anything off xiu xiu's knife play or a promise

Christ, XIU XIU are one of the worst bands ever. I thought you had good taste in music at the very least.

TheMadcapLaughs 07.11.2012 07:20 AM

wow. too many to name but for some reason this one came to mind. raymond pettibon writes some weird ass but funny ass lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFz-9RJ6vKI

Screaming Skull 07.11.2012 11:19 AM

Most of Stephen Malkmus' lyrics are quirky.

louder 07.11.2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Christ, XIU XIU are one of the worst bands ever. I thought you had good taste in music at the very least.

lol

SpaceCadetHayden 07.11.2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Xiu Xiu is god awful for the most part but A Promise and Knife Play are two of the greatest albums of all time, you geezer.

lloyd 07.11.2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Bruce Haack's lyrics are ridiculous, not weird or unconventional . And they're often forgettable.

weird/ridiculous is a fine line i guess so ridiculous is good too.

thanks everybody for your recommendations

the ikara cult 07.11.2012 03:19 PM

I think this is about your house getting flooded and being molested by crustaceans, or something

Derek 07.11.2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadetHayden
Xiu Xiu is god awful for the most part but A Promise and Knife Play are two of the greatest albums of all time, you geezer.

agreed.

Mortte Jousimo 07.12.2012 10:55 PM

I think for example Captain Beefheart, Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Can, Joy Division, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees and the Cure have a weird aspects in the most of their lyrics (also in love songs).

the ikara cult 07.13.2012 08:13 PM

If you aint too much of an indie snob this song is about the guy who took this picture

This picture was on the wall of my secondary school, together with a quote attributed to the photographer, frankly the quote diminished its impact, the picture said enough. The photographer took his own life after winning a pulitzer for this image.