Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If there was a new SY record.. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=89306)

woofwoof 03.25.2013 11:17 AM

If there was a new SY record..

...How would you want it to sound?

Don't worry about any real-world complications or any of that shiz. In a perfect world where SY is coming back on top form and they're about to head into the studio..what do you think you'd want them to make?

Personally, I think the time's come to revisit the sonic comedy / pop culture jabs of the past, ala Ciccone Youth and Mariah Carey and The Arthur Doyle Hand Cream. There's something super snide and kool about fusing that style of explosive guitar energy with a very detached and bored look at modern celebrity culture.

No more songs about old punk band frontmen, no more allusions to hippy beat poets, and no more songs about being a transient state of love and/or loss. Throw together wicked new tunings, a shitload of obscure alien-sounding pedals and crazy effects to create fun, lively and most important of all, endlessly blaring noise. :cool:

EVOLghost 03.25.2013 11:35 AM

I think you summed it up quite well in the last part.

Need new sounds.

I want a really experimental record....a la NYC.

Rob Instigator 03.25.2013 01:04 PM

I want the force of DDN, the noise of CIS, the fullness of sound of DIRTY, and the complete lack of acoustic crap.

evollove 03.25.2013 01:35 PM

Something that will continue the journey.

blunderbuss 03.25.2013 01:42 PM

I'd like a techno influence, a modern day Ciccone Youth / Masterdik.

vomir 03.25.2013 01:48 PM

LR /TM vocal duos
& SYR era oriented
w/ Kim just on bass

badgercorn 03.25.2013 04:26 PM

NYC G&F-ish. 50% Lee vocals.

Genteel Death 03.25.2013 04:40 PM

It would sound like they are moving on and their fans follow their advice.

Rob Instigator 03.25.2013 04:46 PM

I was listening to music on my cable providers "classic alternative" channel, and it played the usual stuff, the Cure, joy division, etc., and then comes TUNIC (SONG FOR KAREN) and the shit was such a change of pace, so skronk-filled, so noisy, such a bizarre noise break about 3/4 of the way through. It was AWESOME.

There is only one SY

woofwoof 03.25.2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It would sound like they are moving on and their fans follow their advice.

Jeez dude, have a little imagination..? Or did you just want to swoop in and make this grand statement like we didn't already know the band's future is up in the air? Chill out and have fun!

noisereductions 03.25.2013 08:17 PM

it doesn't matter. If they made a new album I'd be happy with whatever it was.

EVOLghost 03.25.2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
the fullness of sound of DIRTY

Oh God no.

Your post was great up until I read this.

EVOLghost 03.25.2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
it doesn't matter. If they made a new album I'd be happy with whatever it was.

ultimately this....

Severian 03.26.2013 06:29 AM

I'd like to see then continue on in the vein of SYR 9, and flesh that sound out.. But I would ultimately like them to write a white album type record that sort of spanned their career, using hardcore and no wave, long moody jams and short nic fits, with the darkness of the '80s trinity, and the slop of the early '90s. Of course, Lee would have a ton of lead time, and I would absolutely love to have a confluence of production influence... From O'Rourke revisited to Steve Albini. Subtle guest spots too. Something for the fuckin' ages.

Genteel Death 03.26.2013 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woofwoof
Jeez dude, have a little imagination..? Or did you just want to swoop in and make this grand statement like we didn't already know the band's future is up in the air? Chill out and have fun!

Alright then, it should sound like Arcade Fire, and I mean it. Even if you hate them, you probably love at least one song so much it makes your teenage heart break. Again, no beef. They've done fine, and they've helped make "rock" and alternative at least a little bit more classy and intelligent than it was.

Dr Chocolate 03.26.2013 10:15 AM

beefy as fuck and more fucked up tunings please
and the last song on the album to never end
(or appears to never end, like ETYS)

Rob Instigator 03.26.2013 10:29 AM

Locked grooves, and concentric grooves (like the 100% single with genetic on the B-side which rules) and colored vinyl, and giveaways tucked inside the vinyl cover, and embossed cover, and glitter, and make it sound like the goddamn walls are caving in please.

Nefeli 03.26.2013 03:52 PM

metal thrash or smth with off tone screams and shit.

edit: atonal.

greedrex 03.27.2013 03:43 AM

the weirdness of WM with the in-yr-face-ness of DDN!

krischanski 03.27.2013 12:55 PM

it's time for an acoustic set