Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Clash (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=8861)

Pookie 12.11.2006 05:25 AM

The Clash

Been reading Joe Strummer's biography and it's very good.

So I've been listening to a lot of Clash records and I thought I'd do yet another best album poll.

Richard Pryor on Fire 12.11.2006 08:26 AM

London Calling is one of the greatest albums of all time!

NeverMind The Sex Pistols, Here's The Clash!

Better_Than_You 12.11.2006 08:29 AM

The Clash get on my nerves. As do the sex pistols.

I think its that accent.

gmku 12.11.2006 09:34 AM

More and more I like Give em enough rope. London Calling is great, but it's a very obvious and lazy choice, so I went with the less popular pick.

Richard Pryor on Fire 12.11.2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
More and more I like Give em enough rope. London Calling is great, but it's a very obvious and lazy choice, so I went with the less popular pick.

Lazy pick? I've done my research! I'm not gonna pick a different album just becasue I know everyone else is gonna pick London Calling. n00b.

gmku 12.11.2006 09:41 AM

I've been told my musical preferences are lazy and obvious so I'm trying to expand.

Your pick is not lazy if you don't think it is.

gmku 12.11.2006 10:39 AM

I actually like GEER quite a bit. People bash this one, mostly for the production, but I never got that. Maybe it's just because it's the first Clash I ever bought (got it when it came out), but to me it rocks pretty hard and the writing is on target.

gmku 12.11.2006 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swa(y)
a lazy choice?

yeah, whatever, you know...

sun city girl 12.11.2006 10:42 AM

sandinista!

gmku 12.11.2006 10:44 AM

^ Yeah, I can't believe I don't have that in my collection yet! It's a good one. Black Market Clash is okay, too.

Actually, there's not much I don't like by the Clash. I even like Combat Rock.

Hip Priest 12.11.2006 01:56 PM

It's between London Calling and Sandanista for me. Whilst the former has a great first half (especially the awesome Guns of Brixton), I have to say that I've never enjoyed the second half anywhere near as much.

Sandanista, on the other hand, combines a genuinely impresssive scope with what is for me a better standard overall.

EMMAh 12.11.2006 03:13 PM

The Clash bore me.

SynthethicalY 12.11.2006 03:17 PM

I haven't listened to them so therefore I am not voting.

k-krack 12.11.2006 03:18 PM

Static! Why the name change?

I chose London Calling...

SynthethicalY 12.11.2006 03:21 PM

Got bored of the other one.

Pookie 12.11.2006 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Pryor on Fire
London Calling is one of the greatest albums of all time!

Indeed

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
More and more I like Give em enough rope.

Me too. It was always my least favourite Clash LP, but in recent years I've liked it more and more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
Sandanista, on the other hand, combines a genuinely impresssive scope with what is for me a better standard overall.

This record blew me away when I bought it in 1980. It got absolutely blasted by the music press at the time, but was like nothing I'd ever heard before. So it probably gets my vote as well.

noisemachine 12.11.2006 09:19 PM

London Calling...pure brilliance! Definitely one of the greatest rock albums ever and the best thing the Clash ever did. Although their self titled is a close second. And I like Give 'em Enough Rope but it really has that 'debut album leftovers' vibe.

I know a lot of people will hate me for saying this, but while I like Sandinista, I think it would have been much better if they cut it down to a single disc (or double LP instead of the triple). The album as it is is way too long and has tons of throw-away tracks in the midst of some pretty brilliant ones. Anyways, after Sandinista, they pretty much went downhill.

Norma J 12.11.2006 09:36 PM

I voted for the debut. Great album. Although, it is the only Clash album I own, so I am a little biased. I saw Give 'Em Enough Rope on vinyl secondhand this year sometime, went back to buy it another day and it was gone :(

I Fought the Law is a classic. One of the best songs ever Written. It's one of them songs that I loved when I was a little kid, but didn't know who it was or even cared who it was, until I was older and then went "Ahh, so that's the Clash".

blastscenealibi 12.11.2006 09:38 PM

London Calling, The White Album and Daydream Nation to me are all in a special class of album. I'm still waiting for the 4th.

CHOUT 12.11.2006 09:55 PM

Like the Black Flag poll, I realized there isn't an entire album I like as a whole from either band. London Calling has a large amount of songs I really like over all the other ones though.