Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Royal Trux Reissues (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=28632)

Iain 12.21.2008 07:03 AM

Royal Trux Reissues

I could have sworn I posted this yesterday but I can't find the post so I can only assume i didn't work. Anyway, on 20th Jan, Drag City are reissuing Twin Infinitives and one of the Self Titled records on vinyl. I am excited by this. Look here:

http://www.dragcity.com/catalog/records/dc3.html
http://www.dragcity.com/catalog/records/dc5.html

Apologies if this has already been posted. I could find any evidence of that being the case though.

noisereductions 12.21.2008 09:24 AM

TWIN INFINITIVES is......... good.... noise. ha.

demonrail666 12.21.2008 10:25 AM

That's good news. No extras though is a bit of a shame. There most have been arseloads for the TI sesions. I wonder if they'll shorten those huge gaps between the tracks on that album too.

narlus 12.21.2008 11:01 AM

glad i didn't spring for _Twin Infinitives_ via ebay...had plenty of chances to get that record in the day, but never did.

greedrex 12.21.2008 11:03 AM

Royal Trux sucks. Horrible horrible.

sarramkrop 12.21.2008 11:05 AM

Yeah, right.

greedrex 12.21.2008 11:07 AM

i mean it.
how have you been ?

sarramkrop 12.21.2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
That's good news. No extras though is a bit of a shame. There most have been arseloads for the TI sesions. I wonder if they'll shorten those huge gaps between the tracks on that album too.

That's what I was thinking too. Because of the nature of that record, I'd have expected a lot of music that didn't make it to the album for this reissue. I'm not sure if I want to buy another copy on cd, the one I have sounds fine to these ears already.

demonrail666 12.21.2008 11:30 AM

I agree. There's absolutely no point in shelling out for a reissue of that particular album. It's a missed opportunity - especially given some of the tripe that's received the 'deluxe' and 'expanded' treatment. I'm sure in the case of Twin Infinitives they could've filled at least a disc with out-takes, alternative takes and live versions. And given that it's Drag City, they might've even seen fit to bundle it with a DVD of their rare movie 'What is Royal Trux' which I believe came from that period.

Iain 12.21.2008 12:31 PM

I'm just happy that it's being reissued on vinyl. I don't really want any extras, just the record as it was really. Maybe they could have accompanied the straight vinyl reissue with an expanded cd reissue.

Toilet & Bowels 12.21.2008 05:04 PM

extras can be ok when put on a separate disc, but i have no desire to rebuy albums i already own just so i can hear stuff that wasn't considered to be release worthy at the time

sarramkrop 12.21.2008 05:25 PM

It's not about any desire to buy two copies of a record I already own, since I wouldn't have the money to do that with every album I like anyway, and I wouldn't even give it a thought. There is strong chance that whatever might have been left out from this album could be interesting/good stuff. Also, I don't see what difference putting the extra music on another record would do, since that is often a way of ripping off the fans. Double album? Double cd?

demonrail666 12.21.2008 05:48 PM

I think there's a good chance that material left off of the original TI would be a fair bit more interesting than that which makes the final cut of most other albums.

Toilet & Bowels 12.21.2008 05:48 PM

I don't like it when extra tracks get tacked on at the end, like on the deluxe SY re-ish's of a couple of years back, it transforms the album into something it's wasn't meant to be, so that's why i prefer to have them on a 2nd disc, the album on one CD, the fan fleecing detritus on another.

demonrail666 12.21.2008 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I don't like it when extra tracks get tacked on at the end, like on the deluxe SY re-ish's of a couple of years back, it transforms the album into something it's wasn't meant to be, so that's why i prefer to have them on a 2nd disc, the album on one CD, the fan fleecing detritus on another.

I agree. While I'm all in favour of extra tracks, different versions, etc, they do need to be kept away from the original set, ideally on a separate disc. Although whether this'd be viable when only one or two extras are included is unlikely. Having Sister end with 'Master-Dik' is a good example of where it screws things up without any real alternative, other than the preferable in my opinion of leaving it off altogether and reissuing the Master-Dik EP as is.

sarramkrop 12.21.2008 06:11 PM

That I agree too, and that's why I didn't feel compelled to buy any of these deluxe versions, I just got the extra stuff burned for me by a friend instead. A package with two seperate discs I wouldn't mind, though. I bought 'Live at The Witch Trials' by the Fall with the extra cd of alternate versions that way 'cause it was the first time I was buying it and I only really cared for the original songs, which turned out to be the only ones I listen to 'cause I'm rarely interested in different versions of already finely structured music. This is a special one.

sarramkrop 12.21.2008 06:17 PM

By extra cd on my other post I meant one that is sold separately with its own price tag. I think that is a rip off.

demonrail666 12.21.2008 06:29 PM

I too rarely get much from listening to alternate versions of records I already know. Even something I thought I might really enjoy, like The Beatles' six disc Anthology set, didn't really end up doing much for me. There's nothing to say that the version of a song that appears on an album or a single is necessarily going to be the best one, but it almost always seems to be the case.

Toilet & Bowels 12.21.2008 06:30 PM

The Fall's Dragnet reish is a good example, i'm glad they included the the single version of Rowche Rumble, but who needs the 6 out take versions?
And again, it would be nice if they'd put all the bonus stuff on a second disc instead.

Toilet & Bowels 12.21.2008 06:32 PM

Non-album singles that were released around the same time being used as bonus tracks gives a nice context to the album though