Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Leonard Cohen (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=31564)

blunderbuss 05.27.2009 04:25 AM

Leonard Cohen

When and how did Leonard Cohen suddenly become popular in the mainstream? He sold out the O2 Arena last year, and this summer is going to be playing a show near to me at a venue that puts on two gigs a year, always mainstream middle of the road artists.

Last time I looked he was a relatively underground miserablist, now he's appealing to the Sunday supplement reading crowd. How'd that happen?

dionysusundone 05.27.2009 04:34 AM

He got old enough to become respectable.

atsonicpark 05.27.2009 04:47 AM

He's been mainstream forever. He is one of the most covered artists of all time. Everyone knows who he is.

EDIT: Over two thousand renditions of Cohen's songs have been recorded. He has been inducted into both the Canadian Music Hall of Fame and the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame and is also a Companion of the Order of Canada, the nation's highest civilian honour. While giving the speech at his induction into the American Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10, 2008, Lou Reed described Cohen as belonging to the "highest and most influential echelon of songwriters.

The dude's huge!

Death & the Maiden 05.27.2009 05:08 AM

I'd never thought of him as unknown. Nearly everyone knows Hallelujah. He started touring again because he had no money, didn't he? These were his first shows in a very long time, and his fans were very eager to see him. I think his popularity seems to have risen because he's touring now.

evollove 05.27.2009 07:50 AM

Yeah his manager fucked him for pretty much his life savings.

Quote:

Originally Posted by blunderbuss
Last time I looked

Where did you look? Well, stop looking there. Any source that doesn't recognize Cohen's worldwide popularity since the sixties should probably best be avoided in the future, hm?

jerome231 05.27.2009 12:23 PM

I caught his NA tour opener here in Austin and it was pretty much the best show I've ever seen. Definitely up there with seeing Waits, just an overwhelmingly spiritual experience. See him, the money is ridiculous but totally worth it.

Better_Than_You 05.27.2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Yeah his manager fucked him for pretty much his life savings.

tell me more

sarramkrop 05.27.2009 01:27 PM

I've always thought he was on the same level as Neil Young in terms of popularity.

floatingslowly 05.27.2009 01:44 PM

tickets for his show in Dallas were $75+. that's a typical price for seeing The Rolling Stones.

to pull this off, you either have to have a LARGE fanbase who's DYING to see you, or you are willing to put up with about 10 people showing up (see: My Bloody Valentine).

I suspect that with Mr. Cohen, it's the former.

evollove 05.27.2009 02:39 PM

Wiki to the rescue:

On October 8, 2005, Cohen alleged that his longtime former manager, Kelley Lynch, misappropriated over US $5 million from Cohen's retirement fund along with the publishing rights to his songs,[9] leaving Cohen with only $150,000. Cohen was sued in turn by other former business associates. These events placed him in the public spotlight, including a cover feature on him with the headline "Devastated!" in Canada's Maclean's magazine. In March 2006, Cohen won the civil suit and was awarded US $9 million by a Los Angeles County superior court. Lynch, however, ignored the suit and did not respond to a subpoena issued for her financial records.[10] As a result it has been widely reported that Cohen may never be able to collect the cash.[11] Cohen has been under new management since April 2005.

SuperCreep 05.27.2009 04:07 PM

I really wish I had the $350 to see him when he came here a week and a half ago. His recent Live in London album is absolutely phenomenal. I don't know if anyone else can perform that well at age 75, except maybe Neil Young in another ten years. Fucking class act all around.

And yeah, Cohen has been popular for quite a long time, but moreso in Canada and Europe than in the US.

afterthefact 05.27.2009 04:08 PM

Depends on what you mean by mainstream anyway. He's not playing on any radio stations 'round here.

He's just that type of mainstream where everybody knows him, until you start asking,

pokkeherrie 05.27.2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

How'd that happen?

It's because he died young.

batreleaser 05.27.2009 04:50 PM

i didnt know that he ever wasnt mainstream. his music is the kind that transends the underground v. mainstream arguement.

gmku 05.27.2009 04:52 PM

I've been looking for several years now for Leonard Cohen records. With all the reissues coming out on vinyl these days I can't believe his stuff isn't getting re-pressed too.

sarramkrop 05.27.2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batreleaser
i didnt know that he ever wasnt mainstream. his music is the kind that transends the underground v. mainstream arguement.

I've never seen the mainstream arguing with the underground on the street. where do they live now?

SuperCreep 05.27.2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmku
I've been looking for several years now for Leonard Cohen records. With all the reissues coming out on vinyl these days I can't believe his stuff isn't getting re-pressed too.

Sundazed reissued his first four plus Live Songs two years ago. I only have the debut and Songs of Love and Hate, but they did an excellent job with those.

gmku 05.27.2009 06:25 PM

Might have to ask the local record store dudes to order them. Sundazed definitely does the LP right.

Dead-Air 05.27.2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

When and how did Leonard Cohen suddenly become popular in the mainstream?

Back when he recorded this song called "Suzanne"...

Seriously, if you type Leonard in Google, it suggests him even before Nimoy. He's been a legend forever.

DeadDiscoDildo 05.28.2009 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dead-Air
Back when he recorded this song called "Suzanne"...

Seriously, if you type Leonard in Google, it suggests him even before Nimoy. He's been a legend forever.

Good God Man, You're right!