Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   why don't hipsters like jam bands? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=62976)

E. Noisefield 11.13.2011 09:07 PM

why don't hipsters like jam bands?

Seems to me that they would. But there's really little to no crossover between the two fanbases, except for the odd indie band citing the Dead as an influence. I say unity!

Oh, and Ween fans kinda straddle the gap too.

E. Noisefield 11.13.2011 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
Because hipters are fickle.

And Ween fan are the worst. Saw them in 2004 and they were all CRACKHEADS.

If you think they were crackheads in '04, you should have seen them in the '90s.

But "worst"? Heavens no. Of all the broad-scope indie bands with fanbases consisting of jam-heads (Pavement, Flaming lips- big hippie following there, Malkmus and the Jicks, Dinosaur Jr, Blitzen Trapper, Animal Collective, our very own sweet Sonic Youth, etc.) Ween are far from the worst.

Ween is (are?) one of my favorite bands. I've loved them since I first heard them (94) and I love them still. Don't judge them based on their La-Cucaracha era shows, when they were supporting Sebadoh. That's not the Ween that Ween fans grew up with. It's still Ween, but not nearly as interesting as the bulk of their career in the 90s.

Ween is: GodWeenSatan, the Pod, Chocolate and Cheese, 12 Golden Country Greats, and the Mollusk.

gfb.
Great fucking band.

E. Noisefield 11.13.2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Because hipters are fickle.

And Ween fan are the worst. Saw them in 2004 and they were all CRACKHEADS.

Whoops... sorry, I thought you said "Ween is the worst".

I can't speak to their fans. They pop up in the weirdest places. Not the most social lot; nerdy beyond calculation, but they follow Ween like some follow Phish. And Ween is great at jamming, and should do more of it.

Still waiting for a "WEEN LIVE AT REDROCKS". lol.

Count Mecha 11.14.2011 12:23 AM

I thought the Mars Volta had the worst fans?

edit: I love Ween by the way.

evollove 11.14.2011 09:14 AM

Why don't hipsters like jam bands?

I realized this while being forced to watch a Phish DVD:

1- GUITAR SOLOS. Except for Television, no one may solo. It's a rule. (And genrally speaking, a very good rule)

2- They simply CAN'T ROCK OUT. Drummers in jam bands don't know how to smack their snare on the two-and-four. They can perform all sorts of technical feats, but when it comes to just rockin' a-la The Ramones, they're lost.

E. Noisefield 11.14.2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by evollove
Why don't hipsters like jam bands?

I realized this while being forced to watch a Phish DVD:

1- GUITAR SOLOS. Except for Television, no one may solo. It's a rule. (And genrally speaking, a very good rule)

2- They simply CAN'T ROCK OUT. Drummers in jam bands don't know how to smack their snare on the two-and-four. They can perform all sorts of technical feats, but when it comes to just rockin' a-la The Ramones, they're lost.

No guitar solos/rocking out?

Sonic Youth?
Dinosaur Jr?
Nirvana?
Jicks
Broken Social Scene?
All Math Rock?

Not "solos" in the traditional sense (except for Malkmus and Dino), but solos. And rocking out? C'mon.

But it does seem that modern hipsters are more interested in rip-offs of ancient Depeche Mode tracks than they are in chops.

Also, bands like Phish have really similar senses of humor to those of the cooky early alt. indie bands. I think most Slanted and Enchanted fans could find something to like in Junta.

Plus, the entire idea of "noise" being integrated into rock was, arguably, due to the influence of jammers. Even the Velvets jammed.

E. Noisefield 11.14.2011 10:47 AM

Quote:

When did they support SEBADOH ? Circa 2007?

Um, yes. :)

Derek 11.14.2011 12:11 PM

Awful thread.

jnic 11.14.2011 12:25 PM

My 2 favorite Bands are sonic Youth and Phish.
Before you go bashing me, I would like to say i do NOT consider Phish to be a jamband. That is a dumb label the media gave phish after Garcia died. Phish is just a great American Band who can play all styles of music. Yes, each show is different, and versions of songs will vary slightly from performance to performance.
I personally hate all those "jambands" like Widespread panic, moe, string cheese garbage, etc.......
As for the comment above about drummers, listen to fucking Jon Fishman. The guy can rock the fuck out on the 4's as good as anyone else. His Hi-Hat work can rival Steve Shelley's

stu666 11.14.2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Awful thread.

agreed.

knox 11.14.2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Awful thread.

absolutely.

E. Noisefield 11.14.2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jnic
My 2 favorite Bands are sonic Youth and Phish.
Before you go bashing me, I would like to say i do NOT consider Phish to be a jamband. That is a dumb label the media gave phish after Garcia died. Phish is just a great American Band who can play all styles of music. Yes, each show is different, and versions of songs will vary slightly from performance to performance.
I personally hate all those "jambands" like Widespread panic, moe, string cheese garbage, etc.......
As for the comment above about drummers, listen to fucking Jon Fishman. The guy can rock the fuck out on the 4's as good as anyone else. His Hi-Hat work can rival Steve Shelley's

I like Phish well enough. I think also that people who appreciate the complexity of SY could easily embrace the similarly iconic, sometimes equally challenging work of Phish.

Pavement's Terror Twilight... fans of that album should have no trouble digesting Junta or Story of the Ghost. And SY fans would like the Siket Disc, I believe.

E. Noisefield 11.14.2011 03:15 PM

Wow, that bad? My day is now a failure.

Genteel Death 11.14.2011 03:37 PM

I don't know and most certainly I do not care. Here's a picture of a tree. Imagine all the nice things that you could do with it.

Glice 11.14.2011 03:54 PM

Quote:

Awful thread.

This.

static-harmony 11.14.2011 03:58 PM

This board has exhausted what hipster's like or don't like. At this point we don't care, actually we never cared.

keep poppin pimples 11.15.2011 01:11 AM

i really love the other girl's shirt

jnic 11.21.2011 12:31 PM

"I like Phish well enough. I think also that people who appreciate the complexity of SY could easily embrace the similarly iconic, sometimes equally challenging work of Phish.

Pavement's Terror Twilight... fans of that album should have no trouble digesting Junta or Story of the Ghost. And SY fans would like the Siket Disc, I believe."

For me personally, I really discovered and got into both SY & Phish at the same time, back in 1992 and understood them both. Yeah, Phish's Siket Disc would be a great start for an SY fan wanting to check the phish and I think Washing Machine is a great album for phish fans to check out. I've also always wanted to see Phish cover Hits of Sunshine. I think they would do it nice justice. BTW, nice to see another phish fan here!

EVOLghost 11.21.2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Do they still like Pabst Blue Ribbon or is it the high life now?

I think it's more PBR. But fuck. I like 'em both. Seriously...I'm used to it after being forced to buy 30 racks of beer for parties....

High Life>PBR.

EVOLghost 11.21.2011 12:36 PM

I love Kreayshawn.