Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trees Down The Street From The Academy (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16197)

Brett Robinson 09.10.2007 12:03 PM

Trees Down The Street From The Academy

I'm not seeing it on the SY.com calendar section, but Thurston is playing this Saturday in Northampton, MA as part of "Hustler Collage".

http://www.myspace.com/eaglesnestling info and directions there!

I've heard rumors of it being a Thurston / Gene Moore / John Moloney piece, but who knows what the future holds?

Oh and of course the infamous Slippyboy and his Radioactive Prostitute will be taking the cake and eating it too.

If you're local, get there!

akesin 09.10.2007 01:11 PM

You are 100% correct that the plan was for Thurston to play this show on saturday in improv trio form with his brother and Moloney. Other guests are always possible but this is definitely NOT Thurston playing songs from the new record. Unfortunately, someone posted extremely cheesy flyers around the valley suggesting that this was a record release party for "Trees Outside the Academy" by Thurston Moore(of Sonic Youth) in big letters and we have requested that they now go and take these flyers down.

fugazifan 09.11.2007 08:08 AM

damn, im going to be in canada, i so would have gone....

Brett Robinson 09.11.2007 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akesin
You are 100% correct that the plan was for Thurston to play this show on saturday in improv trio form with his brother and Moloney. Other guests are always possible but this is definitely NOT Thurston playing songs from the new record. Unfortunately, someone posted extremely cheesy flyers around the valley suggesting that this was a record release party for "Trees Outside the Academy" by Thurston Moore(of Sonic Youth) in big letters and we have requested that they now go and take these flyers down.

i did see those, thought they were pretty cheesy myself... blame the dude who set up the show!

\

Ryan Wynnss 09.11.2007 12:52 PM

Quote:

Ugh. I'm the person who made the flyers/set up the show with the club. The flyers were and are cheesy. If I were to see them and not be the person who created them, motivated by appeasing the club by bringing people in (no financial gain for myself involved, just discomfort from using someone else's space for shows that are often poorly attended, when they're hoping to sell beer), I would absolutely hate them.

When Thurston playing was brought up to me about a month ago by someone from Flywheel who's in touch with Thurston regularly, someone whom I completely trust, what was said to me was something to the effect of: "The new album's coming out, and he wants to do a show in the valley around then, later he's going on tour." That established my impression of what the show was supposed to be. He, too, was just going on what had been said to him at that point, which I think he was trying to make sense of himself.

Since then, that same person said to me via e-mail, "Yes, Thurston is confirmed", and Dana of Ecstatic Peace!, also via email, wrote, "I think Thurston intends to play." As you can see, the followup wasn't very specific or detailed, and in one instance relatively uncertain, but there was nothing to contradict my initial understanding of what the show was intended to be. I had no reason not to believe that "album release party" was the logical way to promote it, going on what I had been told. Had I had the correct information, had I not been completely left in the dark, appropriate flyers would've been made; I know how Thurston approaches playing local noise/improv gigs. No deceit was intended.

It was miscommunication and/or a complete lack of communication. It would've been nice to know. It would've been nice if someone had gotten the correct info to me earlier. I kinda wish this show never came up, because I don't need this bullshit.

I'll take the "wrong" flyers down as time allows. Not gonna ditch work for it or anything.

dirk diggler 09.11.2007 01:16 PM

Thurston has informed me he will be playing solo acoustically featuring many songs from his forthcoming solo album as well as many of your SY faves. His untalented brother will not be on the bill neither will the other guy. Out of towners: make reservations now! Hope this clears up any confusion.

tesla69 09.11.2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk diggler
His untalented brother will not be on the bill neither will the other guy.

His brother sounded good enough the times I've seen him play with Thurston or Dredd Foole.

Brett Robinson 09.11.2007 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryan Wynnss
Ugh. I'm the person who made the flyers/set up the show with the club.

don't sweat it, dude. this show is gonna RAWK!

:eek:

Ryan Wynnss 09.12.2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Haven't heard back from you yet ... so, you're going to insinuate that someone was lying and being deceptive, and when they offer an explanation of what actually happened, you're not going to listen?

Considering that it was arranged for Thurston to play circa mid-August, it would've been nice, as the person who booked the show, to have been properly informed sooner than the weekend before it happened as to what the plan was, and not have been (completely undeliberately) misled by an innocent go-between party.

I'm furious about what's gone down and the position that I've ended up in, and am really not looking forward to the show. This is shitty. It's really unfortunate, as I have every reason to believe that the Thurston-Gene-Moloney improv trio will be great, but a very bad taste is going to be in my mouth.

tesla69 09.13.2007 08:58 AM

let the negativity flow past you mate, its no big deal whatever some people might be saying and its certainly not your fault. Just make sure you tape their set and contact me for a swop! or at least send me a flyer.

Brett Robinson 09.13.2007 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
ust make sure you tape their set

isn't that my job? :D

rike101 09.13.2007 12:27 PM

Quote:

Thurston has informed me he will be playing solo acoustically featuring many songs from his forthcoming solo album as well as many of your SY faves. His untalented brother will not be on the bill neither will the other guy. Out of towners: make reservations now! Hope this clears up any confusion.

I have a hotel reservation and don't know if you are kidding or not. I'm not really into the improv stuff, and live a few hours drive away. Please tell me if you are kidding, as I don't want to drive out there for an improv piece.

dirk diggler 09.13.2007 12:39 PM

I was kidding. Sheesh!

rike101 09.13.2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

I was kidding. Sheesh!

I thought so. I'm a little gullible despite my age. :)