Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   When did you start Listening to the Youth? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=26353)

couch 10.02.2008 02:47 PM

When did you start Listening to the Youth?

How did you come to find SY, what was your first album, where were you, and what were you doing?

couch 10.02.2008 02:47 PM

I was in Alaska at Mammoth Music grabbing albums with a lot of distortion on them: Pearl Jam, Pumpkins, Soundgarden...Goo. I listened while I worked on a painting in my dorm room. I went back a couple of days latter and bought Evil, Sister and Confusion, as well as PIL's Flowers of Romance.
I stopped listening when alt become pop (1993) until this year.

uhler 10.02.2008 03:03 PM

1996 and i got daydream nation in the mail. i remembered them from letterman and beavis and butthead though i never checked them out until 9th grade.

mil_pl 10.02.2008 03:09 PM

I think it was 2004 year, and Sonic Nurse realese. Yes I love that album, one of my faves, it was something different, that I haven't heard before. this is the main reason. then I've downloaded Murray St, and excitement not ended yet. after this I started buying CD's by them, NYC G&F was next.

StevOK 10.02.2008 03:13 PM

I think I bought the 100% single out of curiosity in 2003 and bought Sonic Nurse when it was released in 2004. I can't believe I've only been listening to them for 5 years!

SYRFox 10.02.2008 03:30 PM

It was in 2004 too, in the Summer to be precise, I was 13 (I'm born 1990), and still a Linkin Park fan.
I had discovered The Hives (which I still like four years later) a few months ago, so I went to a Virgin Megastore to buy one of their CDs, and they played the Nevermind (What Was It Anyway?) video on the big screens. I was totally impressed cause I thought it was catchy and yet I had never heard something like that before. I then checked NYC Ghosts & Flowers and it pretty much changed everything I knew in music - within six months I didn't listen to Linkin Park anymore and begin discovering more and more bands

diskaholic-anonymous 10.02.2008 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SYRFox
It was in 2004 too, in the Summer to be precise, I was 13 (I'm born 1990)...

Funny...i found S.Y in 1990...( i think i'm 99 )...when i saw the "100%" video, and i fell in love for the sound and style of them.
Then i went to the record store and i bought "Daydream Nation"... my first album... today i have 24 works of sonic art.
My ears and mind never more were the same since then.

Derek 10.02.2008 04:33 PM

I started listening to them 3 or 4 years ago, which isn't bad considering I'm only nearly 16.

akprodr 10.02.2008 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diskaholic-anonymous
Funny...i found S.Y in 1990...( i think i'm 99 )...when i saw the "100%" video, .

Cool! you found a video two years before the album was released! How did you do that?

Me, I bought DDN after reading a review in the Village Voice. Best of the year or something. Oddly, I didn't get Goo until the reissue. I bought Dirty second hand in a store in Missoula Mt on my way to Alaska. And then I was hooked.

Actually, before Dirty, I bought Confusion is Sex and really didn't like it. Probably wouldn't have bought Dirty if it was full price.

I'd have to say I wasn't a big fan until A Thousand Leaves. I just about wore out the CD.

And, since someone already mentioned it, I bought at least a couple of CDs at Mammoth Music.

Alexander 10.02.2008 05:33 PM

It's always refreshing and uplifting to see that they're still inspiring younger generations of fans considering just how bad the landscape of popular music is now. As for myself, I've been listening to them heavily since the late 90s (high school)

cagedbird 10.02.2008 06:38 PM

1992/3 i bought "Dirty" at Coconuts. Next "Sister." etc. "EJST&NS" was my first one to buy new.

SuperCreep 10.02.2008 06:49 PM

I was seventeen, soooooo...2005. Someone lent me DDN, which I didn't like much. Then I bought Dirty blindly and liked it. Then some dude in my class sold me Sonic Nurse for three bucks and I really liked it. Decided to go back to DDN afterward and I progressively fell more and more in love with it.

Death & the Maiden 10.02.2008 07:48 PM

I'd been a fan of New York bands like the Ramones and Television for awhile, so I'd always known about them. The Silver Rockets and Kool Things: 20 Years of SY documentary was shown on TV, so I watched it, the only track title I could remember was Teen Age Riot, so I bought Daydream Nation.

[Sandbag] 10.02.2008 08:16 PM

i'm a radiohead fan. i was reading about this b-side of 'em.. 'permanent daylight'.. it was supposed to be a tribute to sonic youth ... and it was a favourite.

so i got daydream nation and loved it... it just grew on me.. now theyre my fav band ever :P

couch 10.02.2008 08:34 PM

And, since someone already mentioned it, I bought at least a couple of CDs at Mammoth Music.[/quote]

Was not Mammoth Music great!? Mammoth bucks and all. What an era!

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.02.2008 08:38 PM

2000?
Middle school.
Year punk broke VHS.
Dirty for my birthday.

Forget that, it was in grade school.

Rob Instigator 10.02.2008 08:45 PM

1987 read a review of sister in people nagazine. NBext year saw 120 minutes premiere of Teenage Riot video, got my fucking ass blown out my ears, and bought DDN. It was everything and all and more than I ever thought possible from an album.

Sheriff Rhys Chatham 10.02.2008 08:51 PM

I wish I wasn't so young. So much of what I listen to was done before I even heard of it.
I'd rather put something out on FMP than win a million dollars.

samuel 10.02.2008 09:38 PM

First three CDs:
Dirty
NYC Ghosts & Flowers
Murray Street

whereboysfeartotread 10.02.2008 09:38 PM

i was 13. someone showed me the song 'plastic sun', and i was hooked.