Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   For The EchoCAM Addicts (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=400)

timglasgow 03.28.2006 04:52 PM

For The EchoCAM Addicts

For the next day or three:

http://www3.sympatico.ca/rorytate/wreckocam2

--t
[ec, nyc]

Bal 03.28.2006 05:11 PM

what the hell:?????
are you the one on the cam?

Bal 03.28.2006 06:11 PM

holy shit

theres some serious work going on! worth checkin out for sure!

krastian 03.28.2006 06:35 PM

Ha......nice.

schizophrenicroom 03.28.2006 06:37 PM

Beyond cool.

Bal 03.28.2006 07:54 PM

shentov 03.29.2006 05:05 AM

Quote:

Just like the echocam at sonicyouth.com, but it works in the opposite direction!
so, what's that supposed to mean?

Bal 03.29.2006 05:18 AM

it means this: front

back:

A Thousand Threads 03.29.2006 05:21 AM

hey
this is cool

who made it?

Bal 03.29.2006 05:29 AM

probably the guy who was taking the mixingdesk into pieces last night (is my english correct here?) - i think he started the thread as well.
i was stalking all last night but then i had to go to sleep.. :)

crappydrummer 03.30.2006 05:36 AM

to quote other user of this forum: cool. no, really this is very cool.

Bal 03.30.2006 10:56 AM

the real echocam seems to be down by now unfortunatly.. altough id really like to see them taking the studio into pieces.
here is the last pic (might be the very last one from Murray street)

timglasgow 03.31.2006 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
the real echocam seems to be down by now unfortunatly.. altough id really like to see them taking the studio into pieces.
here is the last pic (might be the very last one from Murray street)

Yeah, that might be the last one on the real site; the computer in the photo is the actual EchoCAM computer as it's being shut down. That damn 7600 has been chugging along 24/7 for half a dozen years, but after it was shut down, it refuses to reboot! If i can get it going again, or perhaps tweak the site to redirect from the wrEckoCAM, than we may have a few more Murray Street frames left. We'll see tomorrow. Not much to see though in an empty room - the place is pretty desolate, yet the spirits of creative energy still hang heavy in the air. This is a special place.

Props to c. habib - the new server is smooth and slick now from this vantage point.

--t
[ec, nyc]

marleypumpkin 03.31.2006 01:25 AM

I'm afraid to click on any links, for I am afraid that I'll get shut-out of the forum for the 20th time.

Bal 03.31.2006 04:32 AM

hey Tim.
what mixingdesk was it?
studer?

chabib 04.01.2006 10:38 AM

neve console.

Bal 04.01.2006 12:21 PM

thanks for the info i was always wondering about that.

timglasgow 04.01.2006 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shentov
so, what's that supposed to mean?

The echoCAM actually partly evolved out of the fact that i was spending a lot of time at the studio far away from my real home, and my girlfriend always got bummed out that i never stayed in touch when i was in "work mode". i started up a webcam so she (and the sonics when they were on tour, etc.) could keep an eye on what i was doing so she could still feel "connected", and it worked very well.

The obvious thing to do at that point was to set up a cam that worked in the other direction (i.e. set up in my apartment at home), so i could see what was going on at back at the ranch.

Myself and the band also just thought a 24/7 webcam in the studio would be really cool, and once Lee saw it in action, it had to go public! :)

Shortly after that chabib got involved, finding us a much sweeter camera (and later the second tracking room camera) and we migrated the cam from a server i had hijacked onto the sy.com server where it has remained basically unchanged since then. Hopefully we can get it back on line at the new studio space once things are unpacked and we get settled in.

The wrEckoCAM now travels around with me so usually the image on the left is either live or recently live from home, and the one on the right is wherever i'm at with the ol' PowerBook. Occasionally they both run at the same time.

--t
[echo cañon, nyc]

timglasgow 04.01.2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal
hey Tim.
what mixingdesk was it?
studer?

What chabib said.

What makes this Neve cool is that it's become sort of "sonic-ized" (much like their hot-rodded guitars/amps/pedals). It actually started out as a one-of-a-kind custom order from Neve that was built decades ago, and we've since taken it way beyond that with tons of new trick circuitry and routing/monitoring options. It's now a totally unique (and occasionally tempermental) piece, appropriately suited to the sonic creative process.

--t
[echo cañon, nyc]

pokkeherrie 04.01.2006 07:30 PM

thanks for the info.
so do they have found a new studio space then? do you have any details on that or is that secret?