Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   AM I missing something, by not being interested in My Bloody Valentine? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9780)

SynthethicalY 01.11.2007 10:26 PM

AM I missing something, by not being interested in My Bloody Valentine?

I've heard one album, can't remember what it was. But I was not all that interested. Do I have to relisten to it?

EMMAh 01.11.2007 10:31 PM

I've been wondering the same thing.

pokkeherrie 01.11.2007 10:33 PM

maybe... when i first listened to an album of theirs ("isn't anything") in a record shop about 12 years ago i didn't like it at all. then a few years later i heard "loveless" and i've loved that ever since... and "isn't anything" too.

loveless is one of those rare albums i never really play anymore these days but whenever i do listen to it it's pure bliss... i found that out again last month when i heard it somewhere.

the ikara cult 01.11.2007 10:37 PM

Well ive never really liked Loveless, ive always felt like its one of those albums that youre supposed to take drugs to, like Screamadelica or Forever Changes. Although the first and last songs are truly brilliant. I think Isnt Anything is much better.

HaydenAsche 01.11.2007 11:13 PM

I found loveless to be piss-awful. Sorry.

Inhuman 01.11.2007 11:17 PM

All this talk about MBV makes me wanna listen to them. I'm going to put on Isn't Anything. Soft as snow is a great song. And I'm with hayden on the loveless part, I still don't fancy it at all in comparison to Isn't Anything

the ikara cult 01.11.2007 11:24 PM

yeah Isnt Anything is faultless from start to Finish, get that.

SynthethicalY 01.11.2007 11:26 PM

That's the one I've heard loveless.

soapbars 01.11.2007 11:28 PM

isnt anything is miles better than loveless, but loveless is still a great album, if you dont like them yet, maybe you wont ever like them, maybe you should try listening to them under the influence of your favourite substance or just give them some time and try listening to them again in a year or something.

SynthethicalY 01.11.2007 11:30 PM

I don't do drugs.

HaydenAsche 01.11.2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I don't do drugs.

*yawn*

SynthethicalY 01.11.2007 11:36 PM

No, I just don't care for them. I mean I have tried them, but I am hypersensitive, and that just screws me over.

touch me i'm sick 01.12.2007 12:02 AM

i feel like MBV is sort of an acquired taste. loveless is better...

davenotdead 01.12.2007 12:19 AM

Quote:

No, I just don't care for them. I mean I have tried them, but I am hypersensitive, and that just screws me over.

dont feel like you need to explain yourself to hayden...he isnt a god, he has no supernatural powers.

ps-loveless & isnt anything are brilliant...

soapbars 01.12.2007 12:37 AM

if you can id recommend getting a copy of ecstacy and wine, its a mixture of two earlier eps (ecstacy and strawberry wine) its great though and really helps show the band developing from the birthday party rip off band they were for this is your... into a byrds style folk band into what they became.

ni'k 01.12.2007 12:41 AM

download - Slow
You Made Me Realise

and if that doesnt work give up on them. i can give you those tracks if you want them

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 01.12.2007 12:55 AM

Quote:

I've heard one album, can't remember what it was. But I was not all that interested. Do I have to relisten to it?

I recall I didn't really like My Bloody Valentine all too much when I first started listening to them.

You don't need drugs to listen to My Bloody Valentine. The album Loveless is enough of a trip in itself.

I consider Loveless to be "crashing after a really fun night or a party" sort of music.

jon boy 01.12.2007 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Listen to them again- yes. MBV are an acquired taste. And you generally have to have good taste to like them.

haha i did like loveless but have not heard a huge amount of other stuff.

sonicl 01.12.2007 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kegmama
Listen to them again- yes. MBV are an acquired taste. And you generally have to have good taste to like them.

But you don't necessarily have to like them in order to qualify for having good taste, I hope?

Pookie 01.12.2007 09:37 AM

Just to state the obvious: don't bother trying if you don't like them.

Join the club.

They're not terrible, but nothing to get excited about.