Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

viewtiful_alan 11.18.2008 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
That's about how I feel when I listen to his Underground Garage Station on Sirius radio......a decent collection with occasional duds.

Its overall a good show though. And I'd love to hang out with little steven
Strange note about the show: He never plays rockabilly...

viewtiful_alan 11.18.2008 05:04 PM

Right now:

4/5
Outstanding mixtape of intellectual hip hop. I"m normally not too big on intellectual hip hop (lyrics in place of unique flow and good beats too often) but this is quality stuff. (came as a freebie in my drought is over pack)

Torn Curtain 11.18.2008 05:24 PM

Claude Debussy - Trois nocturnes pour orchestre et choeur de femmes L91
Ravel - Shéhérazade, trois poèmes pour voix et orchestre (words by Tristan Klinsor) Opus 41

(from dime)

viewtiful_alan 11.18.2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greedrex
You should buy a pair of ears. This is great indie songwriting with some excellent long instrumentals that hint at Klangfarben melodie or Pillow Wand . I give it 4,5/5.
+ the artwork is so up my alley, it adds to the love.

there was only one long instrumental and it was pretty good, even if it really could have been a bit shorter, he repeats some sections more than necessary.

I don't know, the music was awesome, but the vocal arrangements just weren't doin it for me. It was good but really wasn't great.
I liked trees so much better.

noisereductions 11.18.2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
I liked trees so much better.

Agreed. I always thought that PSYCHIC was like "okay, so this is just a SY album that Thurston made without SY." But trees really sort of SOUNDED like a solo album to me. And a really, really solid one. I'll listen to TREES or something like HURRICANE FLOYD way more often than PSYCHIC.

noisereductions 11.18.2008 06:22 PM

Crazy show from '88. Miles playing with a lot of synths behind him. Weird but awesome. He does a pretty stunning 12 min. version of Jacko's "Human Nature." It's great.

radarmaker 11.18.2008 07:27 PM

Inhuman 11.18.2008 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viewtiful_alan
Yeah... too bad this got leaked. With these songs, carter 3 could have been a fucking amazing doulbe album.
I kind of wonder what Wayne intended to do with all the tracks that wound up leaking.

Agreed. In fact I like that mixtape more than CIII. The mixape offers that sweet Kanye track "Did it Before", and I SMOKE DAT KUSSHHH. CIII has A Millie and 3 Peat, but I find the rest of it just painful vocoder shit madness and mediocre tracks. Wayne's recent stuff really suffers...it's either terribly unmotvated and weak or just plain overproduced

noisereductions 11.18.2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radarmaker

where'dya get that? I want it.

noisereductions 11.18.2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
Agreed. In fact I like that mixtape more than CIII. The mixape offers that sweet Kanye track "Did it Before", and I SMOKE DAT KUSSHHH. CIII has A Millie and 3 Peat, but I find the rest of it just painful vocoder shit madness and mediocre tracks. Wayne's recent stuff really suffers...it's either terribly unmotvated and weak or just plain overproduced

Alright I agree that DROUGHT IS OVER II is incredible, and on par with CIII, but "Did It Before" gets a bit old midway through, and there's NO WAY that you can say that CIII is mediocre. There's so much graet stuff on there, and he really shows his range. There's like the club shit like "Lollipop" but then golden-era 90's throwbacks like "Dr. Carter" and then the space rap of "Phone Home" or the street-level Dipset-ish "I Get Money" with Juelz and Fab. Seriously that album has gotten so much play from me over the year, and I'm a huuuuge fan of Wayne's mixtapes.

Sonic Youth 37 11.18.2008 08:59 PM

Inhuman 11.18.2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Alright I agree that DROUGHT IS OVER II is incredible, and on par with CIII, but "Did It Before" gets a bit old midway through, and there's NO WAY that you can say that CIII is mediocre. There's so much graet stuff on there, and he really shows his range. There's like the club shit like "Lollipop" but then golden-era 90's throwbacks like "Dr. Carter" and then the space rap of "Phone Home" or the street-level Dipset-ish "I Get Money" with Juelz and Fab. Seriously that album has gotten so much play from me over the year, and I'm a huuuuge fan of Wayne's mixtapes.

Dr.Carter s a good joint, I can't believe Lil Wayne forgot that it was on his own album. But really, there's no comparing CI to CIII. "BMJR" and "Walk In/ Inside/ Out" are dark and street sounding music that isn't overproduced like most of the tracks on CIII. And CII remains just as hot as CI. I'm just really disappointed with the result of it compare to his last two.

Dead-Air 11.18.2008 10:33 PM

"The Only Daughter" by David Sylvian from Blemish

Sonic Youth 37 11.19.2008 12:11 AM

Dead-Air 11.19.2008 12:37 AM

Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone

barnaclelapse 11.19.2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic sphere
ramones-end of the century

The Ramones-It's Alive!

Heh.

tw2113 11.19.2008 01:51 AM

I Will Still Be Laughing by Soul Asylum as well as All Flowers In Time Bend Towards The Sun by Jeff Buckley and Elizabeth Fraser. They tend to get played a lot lately

Death & the Maiden 11.19.2008 02:42 AM

Nuggets

gohleekwang 11.19.2008 04:36 AM

Miles Davis - Big Fun (disk 2)

✌➬ 11.19.2008 04:36 AM

Circus- Britney Spears.