Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   an album that you LOVE but never felt the need to buy another album by artist/band (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=29949)

noisereductions 03.27.2009 11:05 AM

an album that you LOVE but never felt the need to buy another album by artist/band

I'll start:

Manitoba - Start Breaking My Heart

never got anything else that Mani-Cari-Snaith did. But START... is stunning. Not sure why I didnt bother.

Sonic Youth 37 03.27.2009 11:15 AM

Horses - Patti Smith. I just have really no desire to get any of her other stuff.

fugazifan 03.27.2009 11:34 AM

Bad brains-s/t
Husker Du-zen arcade
meat puppets-II

theres lots more, but i cant think of them at the moment

jimbrim 03.27.2009 11:50 AM

karamasov - divorce your loved ones with dignity

Silent Dan Speaks 03.27.2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
Horses - Patti Smith. I just have really no desire to get any of her other stuff.

Goddammit! I wanted to say that! I'm just worried that her other stuff wouldn't live up to it, so I never got any.

Glice 03.27.2009 12:01 PM

The Shaggs - Philosophy of the world. In principal the best record ever made, and entirely unrepeatable.

Kelis - Kaleidoscope. One of the few actual whole albums in this sort of thing, I never wanted any subsequent albums to ruin how brilliant I think this is.

Toilet & Bowels 03.27.2009 12:42 PM

i really liked kaleidoscope when it came out, but i listened to it again recently and i thought it was a bit weak

noisereductions 03.27.2009 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice

Kelis - Kaleidoscope. One of the few actual whole albums in this sort of thing, I never wanted any subsequent albums to ruin how brilliant I think this is.

It is awesome. The Neptunes definitely know what they're doing when they sit down and produce a record. SEE: Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury.

Rob Instigator 03.27.2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fugazifan
Bad brains-s/t
Husker Du-zen arcade
meat puppets-II

theres lots more, but i cant think of them at the moment

you need to get Bad Brains BLACK DOT

Inhuman 03.27.2009 01:17 PM

I'm with you on Zen Arcade.

Wipers - Box Set
Animal Collective - Feels
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle (this one's fo sho)

noisereductions 03.27.2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inhuman
I'm with you on Zen Arcade.

Wipers - Box Set
Animal Collective - Feels
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle (this one's fo sho)

wow. There's way better AC albums.
There's other OK Snoop albums. But none better.

Rob Instigator 03.27.2009 01:39 PM

all you husker du one-shot mo-fo's need to get hip to new day rising

This shit make sno sense to me. It is as ridiculous to me as liking one song by someone and never bothering to try and hear an album;s worth of music from them. it wis what posers (yeah, I said it) do basically. come on people! If I get an album by someone and I like it, I will definitely seek out another album by them. it makes no sense not to!

GravitySlips 03.27.2009 01:41 PM

Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

Sonic Youth 37 03.27.2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
SEE: Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury.

I'll add Lord Willin' to Horses. Never picked up any more Clipse.

Glice 03.27.2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
all you husker du one-shot mo-fo's need to get hip to new day rising

This shit make sno sense to me. It is as ridiculous to me as liking one song by someone and never bothering to try and hear an album;s worth of music from them. it wis what posers (yeah, I said it) do basically. come on people! If I get an album by someone and I like it, I will definitely seek out another album by them. it makes no sense not to!

On the other hand, there are literally thousands of very good bands out there - you could say that being a music fan who buys multiple releases by one artist is 'playing it safe', or being a poseur (French spelling, y'see?). There's loads of bands I've never got around to getting a second release by, in spite of liking them a great deal (which is, y'know, the point of this thread).

Also, I'm happy enough to just enjoy one record by a band. I used to have all the Dead Kennedys' LPs, thinking I ought to like them, but I never actually enjoyed a single one of them, so I gave them away. I'm not in the mood to be doing that again (I have all the Beatles albums and 6 Bob Dylan LPs on the same basis).

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.27.2009 02:16 PM

The Black Keys "Attack and Release"
System of A Down "Self-Titled first release"
Beck "Odelay"
A Tribe Called Quest "Love Movement"
Everclear "Sparkle and Fade"

Alex's Trip 03.27.2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GravitySlips
Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy

^^^

noisereductions 03.27.2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic Youth 37
I'll add Lord Willin' to Horses. Never picked up any more Clipse.

oh my goodness! HALL HATH NO FURY is brilliant! go get it now! nevermind LORD WILLIN. Trust me, man. I listen to HELL and the WE GOT IT 4 CHEAP mixtapes way more.

noisereductions 03.27.2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
The Black Keys "Attack and Release"
System of A Down "Self-Titled first release"
Beck "Odelay"
A Tribe Called Quest "Love Movement"
Everclear "Sparkle and Fade"

Dude, LOVE MOVEMENT is probably the weakest Tribe album. Go get everything else.

If you like SPARKLE AND FADE, get WORLD OF NOISE and think about SO MUCH FOR THE AFTERGLOW.

I'm a huge Beck fan, and yet ODELAY is probably my least favorite.

so there.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 03.27.2009 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
Dude, LOVE MOVEMENT is probably the weakest Tribe album. Go get everything else.

If you like SPARKLE AND FADE, get WORLD OF NOISE and think about SO MUCH FOR THE AFTERGLOW.

I'm a huge Beck fan, and yet ODELAY is probably my least favorite.

so there.

so we have opposing tastes in music, big deal?
I think odelay is my favorite beck record..
I don't like world of noise for shit, or any other everclear album, in fact I really don't like everclear, but I adore sparkle and fade
and whenever another one of my tribe albums comes on my shuffle mode I say damn this album.. I like the flavor of the Love Movement..

thats that.

but I noticed no commentary on System, so I take it you agree that all their other albums also suck aside from the first one which is fucking the shit?