Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   dear bands i like, stop doing shows here before the summer starts (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=47902)

Derek 03.26.2011 08:36 AM

dear bands i like, stop doing shows here before the summer starts

I'm 18 in June this year and I just read that LOW are playing an 18+ show a MONTH before my birthday. Damn.

This is just a warning to any band I like that posts here. Thanx.

Savage Clone 03.26.2011 08:45 AM

Could be worse.
Could be 21.

Derek 03.26.2011 08:53 AM

Good thing I don't live in a country where you can kill yourself in the armed forces before you can have a beer.

Savage Clone 03.26.2011 08:55 AM

Yes.
I missed a LOT of good shows before I turned 21.
Notably Nirvana at a tiny bar that I was too young to enter.
I did see them in a small club later, though. Don't worry; you'll more than make up for this. Trust me.

Glice 03.26.2011 09:43 AM

I don't remember ever having a problem going to 18+ gigs. Smaller venues tend to turn a blind eye. Go see smaller bands. Is King Tuts still there?

Genteel Death 03.26.2011 10:34 AM

Never had this problem. I do feel for those who do though.

EVOLghost 03.26.2011 11:13 AM

I remember when I had this problem.....Though didn't stop me from much.

only and I was't able to see were The Raveonettes and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

Derek 03.26.2011 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
I don't remember ever having a problem going to 18+ gigs. Smaller venues tend to turn a blind eye. Go see smaller bands. Is King Tuts still there?

Yep, no one good ever plays there though.

The problem is that smaller venues around here are always 18+ (and I've been rejected from a few of these venues). The bigger venues are no problem because they're always 14+ but the majority of acts I'd prefer to see only play in small 18+ clubs.

narlus 03.26.2011 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I remember when I had this problem...

i barely remember what being 18 was like.

Glice 03.26.2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek
Yep, no one good ever plays there though.

The problem is that smaller venues around here are always 18+ (and I've been rejected from a few of these venues). The bigger venues are no problem because they're always 14+ but the majority of acts I'd prefer to see only play in small 18+ clubs.

There was a point when I realised that I enjoy live bands more than I do seeing bands I know. Some of the best nights out have been watching bands that I don't necessarily like.

Anyway. I don't know your locale, but... well, I don't remember having any problems... and I was probably about 14 when I started going to gigs.

Kids these days eh? Poor buggers. I hope you're out taking drugs and threatening old ladies to make up for it.

Glice 03.26.2011 05:00 PM

UK - 18+ is the drinking age. Otherwise, sage advice.

Derek 03.30.2011 06:42 AM

If I have to buy a ticket on the door then they'll definitely check my age. If I go with a ticket then there's a chance they won't let me in and that'll be wasted money.

A Thousand Threads 03.30.2011 07:03 AM

As if it were yesterday, I still remember remembering nothing about the gig I went to last night, waking up in puke, not knowing where I am.
Confused, little, 14 year old fucker I was.

Funny how different protection of minors/memories is handled.

SpaceCadetHayden 03.30.2011 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yes.
I missed a LOT of good shows before I turned 21.
Notably Nirvana at a tiny bar that I was too young to enter.
I did see them in a small club later, though. Don't worry; you'll more than make up for this. Trust me.

I've missed so many. It's tragic really.

At least you aren't in America, Derek.

_slavo_ 03.30.2011 08:11 AM

one hell of a luck that music show are not age limited in my area.

Phlegmscope 03.30.2011 08:58 AM

I didn't start to go to shows regularly until I was 19. Before that I didn't pay much attention to local or even domestic bands in general. Which is a shame, in retrospect, because I did miss few things. Most of the places in the town I grew up had age limit and the concert scene was mostly uninteresting anyway.

Most of the bands I liked at that time were foreign and / or broken up so I wasn't even hoping to see em. (few I later did though)