Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   what are you listening to? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2)

g. 01.10.2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
Verve - Urban Hymns.

Fuck, I love this record.

I hear there is 12 B-sides. I must hear them.

Knowledgeable people of SNY.....are they any good?

You must hear them - there is a lot of arguement for them to have been album tracks.

I love all The Verve and Richard Ashcroft's work but this period is them at the peak of thier powers. Magical time.

Savage Clone 01.10.2021 06:45 PM

I saw them On their first American tour at a tiny club in front of about 30 people. It was one of the best and most psychedelic shows I’ve ever seen in my life. too bad they deleted the formula so bad later on but those first few years were sublime. Met them on the tour for the second record, super sweet guys. Nick McCabe Is one of the best and most underrated guitar players of his time.
If you liked urban hymns, a storm in Heaven is going to really blow your mind.

Skuj 01.10.2021 06:54 PM

Yes, I loved the first two Verve LPs. And Forth is better than most people think.

But I do have a soft spot for Urban Hymns. I just never knew there was so much recorded then. 12 B sides!!

The Soup Nazi 01.10.2021 09:27 PM

I cannot believe the goddamn Verve are being lionized here.

I'm gonna go listen to the refrigerator hum just to get the icky feeling outta my system.

Skuj 01.10.2021 09:48 PM

Dude.....

It gets tiring when EVERY music choice I make gets denounced by you.

And Refrigerator Hum is some good shit. Just ask Alvin Lucier.

Savage Clone 01.10.2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I cannot believe the goddamn Verve are being lionized here.

I'm gonna go listen to the refrigerator hum just to get the icky feeling outta my system.

Maybe you never heard the first record. You’ve championed some pretty tepid things to draw the line there ( no offense intended, just surprisingly strong tone from you on that one). Plenty of bands start great and water it down. Flaming Lips and JAMC for example.

choc e-Claire 01.10.2021 10:32 PM

The Soup Nazi seems like a man for whom "can I masturbate to them?" is a strong indicator of musical quality.

Anyway: I'm listening to one of many bootleg recordings, this time the Cure performing at Coachella 2009.

The Soup Nazi 01.10.2021 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skuj
It gets tiring when EVERY music choice I make gets denounced by you.

Denouncing them gets tiring too! I will make a note of celebrating the awesome choices you make. When you make 'em. :D

!@#$%! 01.10.2021 10:44 PM

i needed some evening chill so playing this rn

not here looking for validation so idgaf if you like it or not ;p

but thought i might share in case you enjoy this sort of thing

The Soup Nazi 01.10.2021 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Maybe you never heard the first record. You’ve championed some pretty tepid things to draw the line there ( no offense intended, just surprisingly strong tone from you on that one).

It's not about how, I dunno, radical vs accessible something is; I just think The Verve were crap. I distinctly remember reading a late '93 issue of Rolling Stone (while on a plane - my first time flying...) in which they were named one of the important new faces of the year or summat. When I got to Maryland, whaddayaknow, my cousin had a copy of the first CD. Did nothing for me, but didn't hate it either. Now I do rather hate it, what can I tell ya.

The Soup Nazi 01.10.2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire

!@#$%! 01.10.2021 11:29 PM

_slavo_ 01.11.2021 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i needed some evening chill so playing this rn

not here looking for validation so idgaf if you like it or not ;p

but thought i might share in case you enjoy this sort of thing

dude, I love this album!

however, fun fact, this is not a good album for sexy time. Back in 2000 or so when I was living on a college dorm, I had a then-girlfriend who I visited in her room. Mood was right, lights were dim, there was noone else around, ... and then I put this tape on and after 15 minutes she said she's not feeling good and I should get back to my own room :D

Diesel 01.11.2021 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Yeah they’re fantastic, love Der TPK as well. A friend of mine put this last one out, which is cool to see. Put it on my top six list of 2020!

Your friend, really? small world!

I do prefer their early lo-fi-punk recordings but similar to SY as they've cleaned up the production their sense of melody and dissonance has never faltered.

There's a new project with the same TPK/HR members minus Bunker Wolf: The UpsideDown Flames

Der TPK's bass player Jason Honea is continuing with The Walking Corpses, the first song is called TPK: All Safe And Dead LP

!@#$%! 01.11.2021 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
... and then I put this tape on and after 15 minutes she said she's not feeling good and I should get back to my own room :D

haaahaahaaaa! eh, well, in retrospect it looks like you dodged a bullet :D

Antagon 01.11.2021 03:01 PM

It's a plunderphonics/kitsch kind of day.

Antagon 01.14.2021 06:39 PM

Comfort-listen.

The Soup Nazi 01.14.2021 10:33 PM

Nuts - you don't expect a Nashville/Dusty Springfield-ish kinda gal to go Can. Then again, her songwriting partners range from Chris Isaak to Jim Sclavunos, so what do I know. :)

pony 01.15.2021 07:54 AM

this guy makes me laugh so much

_slavo_ 01.15.2021 08:03 AM

Kara-Lis Coverdale - Grafts

truly a masterpiece of a record. Ambient music at its finest. I'm shocked I discovered this only a couple of days ago.