Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Summer trip recommendations? (U.S. only) (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=2354)

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 02:51 PM

Summer trip recommendations? (U.S. only)

Ah, it's that time of the year when I gOTTA MoVE & SEE THINGS.

spent a month in dc & new york with the wife in march but now following that excellent french tradition i'm taking off on my own for a couple of weeks. i need to explore unknown places.

thinking of late june-early july as i have to be back mid-july for a work project.

any locations in the U.S. you'd recommend?

i like smelly cities, broken people wondering in the streets, quirky customs, beautiful strange women, old bookstores, clouds, hole-in-the wall eateries with spectacular dishes, fresh seafood, anonymous crowds.

occasionally i enjoy nature but it bores me quickly. except for the sea.

did i say i currently live in new mexico? enough desert! enough!

i hate yuppies, malls, pavement that expands into the horizon & excessive heat. chain shops, chain anything (unless im the one with the handcuff keys :D), and anorexic women.

well? any advice? suggestions? experiences? i'm not asking for places to stay btw. i'd rather be vivisected rather than have to stay with any of you fools. :D

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 05.29.2006 02:58 PM

Pittsburgh is a dump. You'd love it.

Things in Pittsburgh-
The Warhol Museum
The Carnegie Museum (great Dino display)
The Pittsburgh Zoo
A shit-ton of bridges
the incline
The old armory
Heinz Ketchup
some cool little breweries/sausage houses
A few cool dumpy coffee shops, vegan restaurants/venues, and art galleries
The Strip District- Ethnic food stores, street vendors, Primanti Brother's subs. It is a little dumpy place that is fun
The South Side- long strip of cool places, cool 50's diner with really great milkshakes here
Oakland- Hospitals and Colleges
Some good pizza shops
One of the US's largest Jewish communities- Squirrel Hill (cool town too)
Point State Park
To the north about 35 miles- McConnell's Mill and Moraine State Park (I'd suggest McConnell's Mill)
To the south- Laurel Caverns

jon boy 05.29.2006 03:01 PM

dont go to chicago its the most dull place on earth.

go to colorado and see the rockies thats nice.

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 04:28 PM

oh hm pittsburgh does sound interesting, except that i've been there already (loved the warhol museum). i'd like to go there again, but not sure if i could stay 2 weeks, and then around the east coast it gets goddamn hot & sticky in summer. (but i could go to baltimore as well....) no, see, i want to go to a new place. but then again-- i could go there & rent a cheap room & write for a month. hm.... tempting...

jonboy-- i live 3 hours south of colorado (if not less). fuck nature!!!!!!!!! :D

well, actually a little hiking trip would not hurt. i might actually do that on the side-- but only on the side. after 3 days of looking at rock after rock after rock im ready for crowded coffeeshops, panhandling junkies, decaying buildings and unheard-of cuisines.

anybody else love their town as much as spectraljulian? i'd like to hear...

kingcoffee 05.29.2006 04:39 PM

Total road trip. See the entire country form end to end. That's what I want to do. I want to start out here in the North East and travel all over until I end up in Northern California (weed country).

jon boy 05.29.2006 04:52 PM

go to san francisco then. hang around with the folks in the tenderloin.

http://www.tenderloin.net/

HaydenAsche 05.29.2006 05:07 PM

Come to St. Paul and got to End Times fest. I won't be there but it will be a good time. I'll probably be in town and all teh boardies going could hang out with me.

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 05:32 PM

oh.... san francisco... now THAT looks like a town i would enjoy... hm... wonder how hot it gets in the summer

haydenasche-- end of times? oh yes i thought of that, and i might go, although i think time will go on forever-- i hope its not some biblical shit, ha hah.

watch out about hanging out with me though. im a tremendous pervert. :D

Пятхъдесят Шест 05.29.2006 05:43 PM

I would tell you to visit Omaha but there really isn't a whole lot to see or do here.

The College World Series take place here every June if you follow college baseball. Awesome party atmosphere for about two weeks.

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 06:01 PM

oh... omaha... hm... sounds like it could be worse than new mexico. though not sure if that's possible :D

well i wouldnt mind driving past omaha & eating a big juicy steak. but then i'd keep driving... towards... somewhere!

---

kingcoffee-- about the total road trip, i'm afraid 2 weeks would be too short. im more of a digger: i like to get my nose buried in things & inhale deeply until completely intoxicated. i've driven from dc to new mexico from new mexico to california from new mexico to new york & back, etc. i'm kinda looking for a place to dig in for a bit-- get a feel for the place etc.

oh i miss baltimore. maybe i'll just go back. the sticky air with the smell of crabs in it...

Alex's Trip 05.29.2006 06:06 PM

San Fransico or Seattle.

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 06:18 PM

fuck, thanks for the ideas. im done working for the day so i gotta get out of here.

but please keep posting!! i'll read the stuff tomorrow morning.

qprogeny79 05.29.2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i like smelly cities, broken people wondering in the streets, quirky customs, beautiful strange women, old bookstores, clouds, hole-in-the wall eateries with spectacular dishes, fresh seafood, anonymous crowds.

and you live in nm? why don't you just cross the border? from what i hear mexico is an entire country of ^.

then for extra fun you could come home in the back of a semi.

!@#$%! 05.29.2006 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qprogeny79
and you live in nm? why don't you just cross the border? from what i hear mexico is an entire country of ^.

then for extra fun you could come home in the back of a semi.

ha hah. no, US ONLY please. if i could live the country right now i'd go to europe & never come back. :p

(i fucking love france)

--
but seriously...

??? anybody else here loves their u.s. hometowns?

krastian 05.29.2006 07:21 PM

DC->Baltimore->Philly->NYC->Boston->Go home and weep

!@#$%! 05.30.2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krastian
DC->Baltimore->Philly->NYC->Boston->Go home and weep

oh.... sounds amazing, yes, weep-worthy. but i have to say:

i lived in dc for years
i had a girlfriend in baltimore
i had a gilfriend from philly
i haven't had girlfriend from further up north but
i just spent 2 weeks in new york
boston alone could do it but perhaps provincetown is more appealing for its glorious fauna

however i've never been out west.

i'm thinking hey alex got the right idea.

anybody here loves san francisco or seattle? descriptions, locations, traditions? please share...

acousticrock87 05.30.2006 12:21 PM

I'm from just outside L.A. Don't go to L.A.

Malibu or Laguna, though. They're nice. If you like nice. Not a lot of bookstores, probably, but the boardwalks are full of bizarre people. I don't even like the beach, but I love boardwalks.

!@#$%! 05.30.2006 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I'm from just outside L.A. Don't go to L.A.

Malibu or Laguna, though. They're nice. If you like nice. Not a lot of bookstores, probably, but the boardwalks are full of bizarre people. I don't even like the beach, but I love boardwalks.

oh i went to hellay last year for arthurfest. hollywood was nice on weekends, when local people were shopping in farmers markets & just hanging out. (tourists on the other hand are worse than pig vomit). went to the beaches-- malibu, zuma, and the cheesy one with the ferris wheel, and then venice. i fucking love the beach, i love swimming in the sea, and the dried up salt on the skin, and the plankton smell.

how about SAN FRANCISCO or SEATTLE though? i think im narrowing it down to those...

--

ps- and what about the rest of the northwest? PORTLAND maybe?

Pax Americana 05.30.2006 12:32 PM

Go to Portland! It's an awesome city, and the people are great. Then drive out to the Oregon coast and find Rockaway Beach. Oregon has the most amazing coastline. Plus, you mentioned liking fresh seafood and there are a ton of places to get fresh seafood right on the coast, I gorged myself!

nomadicfollower 05.30.2006 12:36 PM

Come to Alabama. There's a spongebob blow-up doll on top of burger king, pushing 20ft, just begging to be destroyed.