Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Polvo this fall (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=53961)

Jeremy 06.30.2011 12:41 PM

New Polvo this fall

http://www.mergerecords.com/store/st...catalog_id=817

So the 7-inch single Heavy Detour comes out in late July, and the new record is due out in the fall. Considering how good In Prism was, this is definitely something to get excited about.

~Jeremy~

The Watcher 06.30.2011 01:23 PM

Yes!!! That is fucking AWESOME news Jeremy, I'm gonna say I like In Prism as much (or possibly more) than some of their other critially acclaimed records - I saw them last summer and they killed it live, so I'm really excited about this.

auto-aim 06.30.2011 02:17 PM

sweet!

hevusa 06.30.2011 02:24 PM

Ash Bowie is god

pad_023 06.30.2011 02:28 PM

Nice.

Hopefully they'll play the UK later this year then.

The Watcher 07.01.2011 07:16 PM

My gooooogling skills can't uncover a leak for this song, what a shame...... I would very much like to hear it?

Either way I'm psyched for this record, I really thought In Prism was an incredible effort. My friend who I went to the show with hadn't even heard the record and most people went mute for the new songs compared to the old ones......

Jeremy 07.01.2011 07:53 PM

I haven't been able to find it either, unfortunately. I imagine it will be available for listening within the next couple weeks on Merge's site.... That's usually how they do these things. I do know, though, that the b-side is called "Anchoress".

I'd kill to be able to see them like you did. I can't ever see them playing Las Vegas, but they have played California and every time I've had other things and couldn't go. I'm hoping this tour I'll finally see them.

~Jeremy~

the ikara cult 07.02.2011 01:44 PM

In Prism was great, its nice to see a band i was too young to get into at the time get back together and not disgrace themselves. If theres one thing their new material could do with it would be some rougher guitar noise, but im nitpicking, the songwriting was top quality.

barrett 07.05.2011 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
I haven't been able to find it either, unfortunately. I imagine it will be available for listening within the next couple weeks on Merge's site.... That's usually how they do these things. I do know, though, that the b-side is called "Anchoress".

I'd kill to be able to see them like you did. I can't ever see them playing Las Vegas, but they have played California and every time I've had other things and couldn't go. I'm hoping this tour I'll finally see them.

~Jeremy~

I've heard the songs. HD is a Dave song, and Anchoress is an Ash Bowie tune, which sounds fucking great.

The Watcher 07.05.2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
If theres one thing their new material could do with it would be some rougher guitar noise, but im nitpicking, the songwriting was top quality.

I think In Prism displays an excellent maturity and above all excellent guitar tone, I don't think there's any reason for over the top noise theatrics...... just my opinion though........

barrett 07.05.2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Watcher
I think In Prism displays an excellent maturity and above all excellent guitar tone, I don't think there's any reason for over the top noise theatrics...... just my opinion though........

Over the top or not, have you ever watched Ash Bowie play guitar from a five foot distance? unbelievable, he could do no wrong, at least the times when I saw them.

narlus 07.06.2011 07:47 AM

Quote:

agreed. i thought it was their best album to date, and i've been on board since hte Kitchen Puff 2x7 debut.

The Watcher 07.06.2011 07:49 AM

Every time I hear In Prism I want to know what effects he's using so I can copy them and then purchase the same amp he has..... when I saw them live I couldn't see his pedalboard :(

the ikara cult 07.06.2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

I dont think they ever traded in theatrics, They just recorded in a certain way that gave their guitars this sharp, jarring quality that was lost on In Prism. Im not a musician so i dont give a toss about pedals or anything like that, and perhaps In Prism is the way they always intended to sound but they didnt have the recording budget to do so, but i hope they make it a little less clean on the new one.

barrett 07.06.2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Every time I hear In Prism I want to know what effects he's using so I can copy them and then purchase the same amp he has..... when I saw them live I couldn't see his pedalboard :(

He mainly uses Carl Martin effects and a Silvertone amplifier

Jeremy 07.06.2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrett
I've heard the songs. HD is a Dave song, and Anchoress is an Ash Bowie tune, which sounds fucking great.

The single is a Dave song? Didn't see that one coming.

~Jeremy~

barrett 07.06.2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremy
The single is a Dave song? Didn't see that one coming.

~Jeremy~

More like a double A side.

Jeremy 07.09.2011 06:30 PM

Haven't found the songs yet, but found previews to both songs:

http://ie.7digital.com/artists/polvo...b-w-anchoress/

~Jeremy~

The Watcher 07.10.2011 09:04 AM

Weirdly symphonic....... I don't love the Heavy Detour preview it but I'm not making any assumptions based on some samples - Anchoress sounded great though!!

rappard 07.10.2011 04:53 PM

Hell yeah! Also: seeing and taping them on August 8th - even more psyched now, as they'll probably play some of the new stuff.