Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   disappointing bands (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=21932)

sarramkrop 05.19.2008 05:53 AM

Good call on Animal Collective, I was expecting some mind-blowing stuff and it is just psychedelic fluff.

jon boy 05.19.2008 05:55 AM

guided by voices also. i was really exited to see them and they were really bad.

HECKLER SPRAY 05.19.2008 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Good call on Animal Collective, I was expecting some mind-blowing stuff and it is just psychedelic fluff.

Yeah, the same for me, someone told me they sounded like Pavement, I've never made the connexion.

MellySingsDoom 05.19.2008 06:26 AM

The last Mayhem album was hailed as a return to form by many a metal mag. What I actually bought was a CD of over-produced "no ma, no decent riffs" tosh. Bah. Kids, stick to Girls Aloud instead, they rock a billion times harder.

ZEROpumpkins 05.19.2008 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jon boy
guided by voices also. i was really exited to see them and they were really bad.

What's sexier than Bob Pollard, a 50something man doing high kicks?

Nothing

_slavo_ 05.19.2008 07:54 AM

No Neck Blues Band were a major dissapointment for me, especially seeing them live.

Toilet & Bowels 05.19.2008 08:00 AM

i love guided by voices but they were crap when i saw them, and they played for about 2 and a half hours to boot.

Rob Instigator 05.19.2008 08:45 AM

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - s o many people told me to chekc their shit out and I hated it. I wasted about $20 on that shit music.

Leaonard Cohen - same shit. people kept hyping him and telling me how much of a lyrical genius he was an al I hear when I listen to his boring shit is a fucking old man warbling baritone songs about his fucking shit life and his fucking shit emotions.

jon boy 05.19.2008 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
What's sexier than Bob Pollard, a 50something man doing high kicks?

Nothing

cumming on scarlet johansons tits.

they played for hours, the bassists kept swinging his head from side to side ala paul mcartney and the songs were dull and lifeless.

Everyneurotic 05.19.2008 10:18 AM

the bad seeds are an awful awful band.

batreleaser 05.19.2008 10:44 AM

i dont see how leanord and animal collective can apply. o well.

sarramkrop 05.19.2008 10:51 AM

It's because it's a free world.

Rob Instigator 05.19.2008 11:02 AM

Birthday Party - yet another band heard mentioned by al the "right" people so foetn that I had to check it out and HOLY FUCK are they boring and dull. so dull. what a waste of another $20

Rob Instigator 05.19.2008 11:02 AM

animal collective is allright stuff. I'd give it all a 7 out of 10. nothing spectacular. their albums have that most dreaded of contents, FILLER

atari 2600 05.19.2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
No Neck Blues Band were a major dissapointment for me, especially seeing them live.

I agree.

I suppose "disappointing live bands" is the implied tangential topic here. Maybe somebody will start that one.

Rob Instigator 05.19.2008 11:10 AM

disappointing live bands is an odd thing, because anyone can have an off night, and if you happened to be waiting for weeiks or months and the band happens to have an off night then you get a false impression of their capabilities.

jonathan 05.19.2008 11:17 AM

It's easier for me to list bands that I've discovered in the past few days that I think absolutely rip. Most things are disappointing.

with that said:

Witchcraft
Hail Mary
Encyclopedia of American Traitors

do yourselves a favor.

and in response to all the Nick Cave and Leanard Cohen shit talk... I totally agree. Neither of those artists ever did anything for me.

cryptowonderdruginvogue 05.19.2008 11:18 AM

vampire weekend - liked that one song Apunk. checked them out at coachella and they were TERRIBLE

led zeppelin - yeah, I said it. everyones always like "dude, they are, like, totally, the best band in the world! how can you not like them?"

pavement - everyones always talking about them on here, checked them out and was over it

black rebel motorcycle club - when I was really into the brian jonestown massacre, I was told to check them out. found them a bit boring.

clap your hands say yeah! - someone burnt me a cd. she had good taste in music, for the most part, and she hyped this band up so much. needless to say, I was very disappointed.

cursive - back when i was into bright eyes in 01-02, i checked out this band because everyone was hyping them up on the internet. boring.

she wants revenge - I liked that one hit of theirs a lot for a minute, checked them out live and I was so bored.

batreleaser 05.19.2008 11:24 AM

holy shit, the birthday party? i was surprised how nuts they were. before that all i heard was the bad seeds, who yes, are extremly hit or miss, and after all those ballads i was blown away by the bday party! spazzed post punk noise psychobilly. i dont see how anyone can be bored by their tunes.

i can def see how someone can be surprised at pavement not being the best band of all time after hearing people from indie mags and sites talkin about them. i still like them though.

controversial thread.

LittlePuppetBoy 05.19.2008 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Birthday Party - yet another band heard mentioned by al the "right" people so foetn that I had to check it out and HOLY FUCK are they boring and dull. so dull. what a waste of another $20

I disagree.

I guess one disappointing band for me is he Sex Pistols.