Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Thurston in Mojo magazine (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=92590)

badgercorn 05.29.2013 03:50 PM

Thurston in Mojo magazine

There's a lengthy interview by Keith Cameron with Thurston in Mojo magazine (out in the UK now). It covers his youth, SY's entire career, Kurt Cobain, not much new, but does give a much more positive spin on the 'future of Sonic Youth' question.

"There's nobody in the core band of me, Kim, Lee and Steve saying that this will never exist again.. It's not to the point where Sonic Youth will never perform again - nobody's every said that and I don't forsee anyone saying that. Sonic Youth is completely defining for all four of us, professionally and emotionally, but it is a mystery because we don't know where we're gonna be at in the next couple of years"

It doesn't really change anything, and obviously doesn't mean everyone else in SY feels the same, but it's notably more positive than anything Moore's said previously.

I don't have a scanner and it's not online, sorry.

Rob Instigator 05.29.2013 03:55 PM

to sleep perchance to dream...

zelocia 05.29.2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgercorn
It's not to the point where Sonic Youth will never perform again - nobody's every said that and I don't forsee anyone saying that.

Kim is profiled in the June 3rd weekly issue of The New Yorker:

"On November 14, 2011, at what turned out to be Sonic Youth's last concert, broadcast live from an outdoor festival in São Paulo, it rained, and the fairgrounds looked like a place where cargo planes are taken to be scrapped. Only Gordon, in a flowing scarlet dress and gladiator sandals, punctured the gloom. She and Moore had announced her split a month earlier. 'I was angry and sad and don't remember the show all that well,' she said. She sang vehemently and, during 'Drunken Butterfly,' whirled in place for an impressively long time. Bill Nace, back in the Berkshires, saw his phone light up with a text message from Gordon. 'Last SY show ever,' it read."

ann ashtray 05.29.2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
Kim is profiled in the June 3rd weekly issue of The New Yorker:

"On November 14, 2011, at what turned out to be Sonic Youth's last concert, broadcast live from an outdoor festival in São Paulo, it rained, and the fairgrounds looked like a place where cargo planes are taken to be scrapped. Only Gordon, in a flowing scarlet dress and gladiator sandals, punctured the gloom. She and Moore had announced her split a month earlier. 'I was angry and sad and don't remember the show all that well,' she said. She sang vehemently and, during 'Drunken Butterfly,' whirled in place for an impressively long time. Bill Nace, back in the Berkshires, saw his phone light up with a text message from Gordon. 'Last SY show ever,' it read."

That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sometimes people fall guilty of letting their emotions speak.

zelocia 05.29.2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ann ashtray
That doesn't necessarily mean anything. Sometimes people fall guilty of letting their emotions speak.

I hope so. The whole article is an interesting read overall. Some things that were mentioned in the Elle interview are also mentioned in this one.

ann ashtray 05.30.2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zelocia
I hope so. The whole article is an interesting read overall. Some things that were mentioned in the Elle interview are also mentioned in this one.

It seems as if he's gradually becoming more comfortable talking about the subject. I read somewhere recently that he hopes the band will go on once it deals with some trust issues or something to that effect. I still don't think of them as being "over". There will be more releases no doubt, and I'd be shocked if there's never another show.

Rob Instigator 05.30.2013 08:01 AM

It's done people. It's done. The Sonic experiment is over. Let us all move on.

Lazewski 05.30.2013 03:28 PM

Lee and Steve I'm sure will do more Sonic. T sounds like he wants to, kinda missing the Sonic vibe from the way it sounds. K will be talked into it.

Genteel Death 05.30.2013 03:33 PM

It'd be really interesting if a new/old version of Sonic Youth resurfaced and the old shift of power I sensed took hold in the past 10 years was replaced by something new. One can only dream.

Toilet & Bowels 05.30.2013 04:58 PM

Maybe they'll tour with Jim replacing Thurston, and then there'll be Thurston More's Sonic Youth with Bob Bert, Ann De Marinis/Samara Lubelski/some guy form Sunburned Hand, and Eva Prinz on bass and vocals.

Genteel Death 05.30.2013 05:05 PM

Thurston should definitely be replaced by Chloe Sevigny or Marc Jacobs. Just because Kim is cool and can pull it off. Or maybe Vincent Gallo to really piss him off.

Rob Instigator 05.31.2013 08:16 AM

What about Sammy hagar? They could be Sonic Hagar.

!@#$%! 05.31.2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

haaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaaa!

Magic Wheel Memory 06.01.2013 09:19 AM

Quote:

My God, I really hope they don't go down that road again. As some of you may recall, this almost happened during the Murray Street sessions. Apparently, Thurston was very upset that on Sympathy for the Strawberry, Lee chose to highlight his keyboard playing, rather than his awesome guitar chops. Lee's response was "If I wanna play keyboards or if I wanna play tuba, I'll play it," which promptly caused Thurston to walk out.

Thurston then recorded an EP of four cover songs, which he dedicated to Alan Ginsburg, called Crazy from the Beat. He even began shooting a video for the first single, (We're Gonna Kill the) California Girls.

In the meantime, Sammy Hagar auditioned for Thurston's part in Sonic Youth, a role that he very much coveted. While his vocals were seen as a much needed boost, he struggled with the alternate guitar tunings. Alas, it was not meant to be.

Back in Malibu, Thurston's video shoot hit a road block when the director was unable to find any bikini models tall enough to pose with Thurston. Frustrated, Thurston returned to Sonic Youth, he and Lee mended fences, Murray Street was completed, and the rest is history. Thankfully, Thurston's EP and video were never released.*

*None of the above facts are "true."

scwxx77 06.05.2013 09:54 PM

Here is a link to that issue of The New Yorker:

http://magazine3k.com/magazine/econo...ne-3-2013.html

Rob Instigator 06.06.2013 08:02 AM

Magic Wheel Memoria has made me laugh

Rob Instigator 06.06.2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scwxx77
Here is a link to that issue of The New Yorker:

http://magazine3k.com/magazine/econo...ne-3-2013.html

Just went to the staff break room here at work and saw that issue of the New Yorker on a table. I am reading the Kim G article now.

Magic Wheel Memory 06.06.2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Magic Wheel Memoria has made me laugh

I consider that an honor! :)