Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sonic youth + icp + the ex (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=917)

IntoTheGroovey 04.14.2006 01:42 AM

sonic youth + icp + the ex

I bought this today from HMV. I've heard a bit about it, supposedly it's quite good but I haven't given it a listen yet. What does everyone think of this record?

IntoTheGroovey 04.14.2006 01:44 AM

Also a question: why is SYR 4 so damn expensive? I was having trouble finding it up until today and it was 35 dollars.

terminal pharmacy 04.14.2006 01:45 AM

I love it, as with most of the fish tank series, but I have one question why have you not listened to it yet, as soon as I buy a disk it is in my player until I know the album inside out

SYR4 is that price because it is a full length double album with extras.

IntoTheGroovey 04.14.2006 01:47 AM

I'll listen to it soon, I promise.

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 08:33 AM

I am the same way terminal pharmacy. If I don't listen to a cd when I get home, I'm usually listening to it on the way home.
Hell, I got SYR4 at a local antique shop that sells records. I think it was $15.

hebbel 04.14.2006 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
I love it, as with most of the fish tank series.

i think the sy/icp/the ex is by far the best one...

i only like two other fishtank releases... june of 44 + low/dirty three...

JRPaperstacks 04.14.2006 11:31 AM

sy/icp/the ex is really really great. it's really an interesting listen, and i think everyone should own a copy.

Fox 04.14.2006 11:36 AM

Yes, it's a pretty interesting record

marleypumpkin 04.14.2006 11:37 AM

I have "In The Fishtank", & it's one of my favorite albums. It mixes great sounds & great instruments together. I like how they titled every track like, "X", "VIIX", & etc.

greenlight 04.14.2006 01:48 PM

jazzy, jazzy, jazz

krastian 04.14.2006 02:00 PM

I think it's pretty good.....not a favorite of mine though.

terminal pharmacy 04.14.2006 05:30 PM

yes the low / dirty three one is awesome, but hey the dirty three are awesome even better live

finding nobody 04.14.2006 05:39 PM

icp as in insane clown possie?

kingcoffee 04.15.2006 09:37 AM

If it really is Insane Clown Posse, then I am sorely dissapointed in Sonic Youth. ICP is easily one of the dumbest fucking bands in history. They make KISS look like New York Philharmonic. I mean seriously, folks, hardcore rapping clowns? What the fuck? And the worst thing is is that they are fairly popular! I see teenagers wearing baggy ICP shirts all the time where I live (central MA)! It's not fair! The popular music industry is going straight to hell like never before, well except for the 1980's.

hebbel 04.15.2006 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingcoffee
If it really is Insane Clown Posse, then I am sorely dissapointed in Sonic Youth. ICP is easily one of the dumbest fucking bands in history. They make KISS look like New York Philharmonic. I mean seriously, folks, hardcore rapping clowns? What the fuck? And the worst thing is is that they are fairly popular! I see teenagers wearing baggy ICP shirts all the time where I live (central MA)! It's not fair! The popular music industry is going straight to hell like never before, well except for the 1980's.

icp = instant composers pool... just the first few lines from allmusic:

The ICP, or Instant Composers Pool, Orchestra recorded relatively little, but achieved international acclaim for its sophisticated improvisations, ingenious interpretations of landmark composers such as Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk and for the band members' extraordinary level of musicianship. The Amsterdam-based group is a blend of European improvised music, jazz music and the Dutch irreverent attitude, in general, which all combine into a highly sophisticated yet enjoyable music that has astonished and impressed music lovers for several decades.

finding nobody 04.15.2006 01:05 PM

..thank god..

Kursty 04.15.2006 10:55 PM

ICP (the eurotrash version) are amazing, in all fairness, this album is them "slumming" Misha Mengelberg their leader (he doesnt appear on the SY record) is an incredible pionist. I usually can't get behind piano jazz, especially solo outtings but his "Solo" disk is incredible. The man's got some great sense of humor.

Пятхъдесят Шест 04.15.2006 11:09 PM

I do so love The Ex.

youthoftomorrow 08.27.2006 01:46 AM

i just bought this tonight and i must say that i'm not enjoying it much.

EDIT: the last song fucking rules.

Forensic Scene 08.27.2006 11:06 AM

Is it unlistenable? Like unstructured noise? I like noise and everything but ...im jw