Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Discuss the Classics #1: The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=14121)

demonrail666 06.21.2007 08:58 PM

Discuss the Classics #1: The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.

I'm reviving this from the old board. Someone post a different 'classic' album every few days for discussing/flaming/ranting/whatever.

This week, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It still tends to top most critics lists, so it's as good an album as any to start the ball rolling.

demonrail666 06.21.2007 09:13 PM

I know it tends to divide posters here, but it probably remains the most significant step in redefining ideas of what a 'pop' album could be. That plus the fact that, with the possible exception of George Harrisson's cod-exoticisms on Within You Without You, it hasn't dated at all. An album that deserves every accolade it receives, regardless of how unfashionable it might be these days.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 06.21.2007 09:13 PM

I think that the Jimi Henderx version of Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band from the box set is much better then the Beatle's album version.

demonrail666 06.21.2007 09:31 PM

Sonic Youth's version of WYWY is arguably better than the original too, but i'm not sure how important that fact is.

Green Magnesium 06.22.2007 12:03 AM

My vote for the worst lyricists of all time goes to The Beatles.

I'd rather hear the annoying little chick from Deerhoof repeat the word Panda 700 times. At least she knows she sounds like an idiot. The Beatles and their fans didn't (and still don't) have that ability apparently.

atsonicpark 06.22.2007 05:04 AM

i've always thought that the only reason sgt peppers is considered a classic is "a day in the life".

!@#$%! 06.22.2007 05:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm reviving this from the old board. I'll post a different 'classic' album each week for discussing/flaming/ranting/whatever.

This week, The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. It still tends to top most critics lists, so it's as good an album as any to start the ball rolling.

this one is kinda crap for my taste. i prefer the white album. actually i prefer the rolling stones. actually...

there.

--

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
I'd rather hear the annoying little chick from Deerhoof repeat the word Panda 700 times. At least she knows she sounds like an idiot. The Beatles and their fans didn't (and still don't) have that ability apparently.

HEY!! HEY!!!!!!!!!!

wanna die before your time????

Torn Curtain 06.22.2007 05:14 AM

Sgt Pepper's is not the best Beatles record by far in my opinion. Rubber soul, The White Album and Abbey road are much better. "She's leaving home" and "A day in the life" are masterpieces however.

atsonicpark 06.22.2007 06:05 AM

the white album is way better.

demonrail666 06.22.2007 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Sgt Pepper's is not the best Beatles record by far in my opinion. Rubber soul, The White Album and Abbey road are much better. "She's leaving home" and "A day in the life" are masterpieces however.

You can see how things are building to Pepper's from Rubber Soul thru Revolver and I know that for lots of people, Pepper's is just too divorced from the r'n'b format of before - something they returned to with the The White Album and Let it Be. Abbey Rd acts more as a companion piece to Pepper's. I think that Pepper's gets the acolades over Rubber Soul and (although increasingly not the case) Revolver because despite the line of progression and clear debt to innovations in 'psychedelic' rock taking place elsewhere, no one quite expected it to take the form it did. That's it's generally judged over Abbey Rd I put down to the fact that the former paved the way for the latter.

The White album seems to totally divide Beatles fans though. Personally, I find its sprawl a little too much, having the feel of an outtakes record, albeit scattered with the odd gem.

pbradley 06.22.2007 06:28 AM

"A Day In The Life" is indeed epic but I would be quicker to listen to the White Album or Abbey Road. And I'm not even that big of a Beatles fan.

My parents still have their original Sgt Pepper's vinyl, though.

sarramkrop 06.22.2007 06:46 AM

It always sounded like a cartoon-like album, but not of the entertaining variety. That's possibly because it is so feted as this amazing achievement in pop music, when it is simply the most visible example of it at the time. Part of this I blame on those rotten sixties journalistic notions that say that the music industry was much more innocent at the time, when the very idea of an innocent music industry is only accepted by drugged-out hippies, and unneccessary romantics. The Beatles weren't certainly more creative than other people making music at the time. The Velvet Underground were the commonly known alternative to all that flower power bollocks, but even their second album sounds a little weak compared to what came after, and i love the Velvets. Perhaps it's the fact that these classic albums served their time and influenced many bands that went on to produce great music, but it's been a while now that their influence has become counterproductive to good music making, I'd say something like over 15 years or so. This is not to say that good music hasn't slipped through the net anyway, but those bands that sat down for too long thinking that having all the 'right' records in their music collections would automatically enligthen them as to how great music is produced, don't seem to last for very long or make a significant impact on the history of music.

gmku 06.22.2007 07:41 AM

It was the first album I ever bought, at the age of around 12, and marked the beginning of my interest in music and collecting albums. Today I don't listen to it much but I still consider it an amazing pop rock album, and the cover art is fun. A good, fun album that's not quite as good as others in the Beatles catalog--for me the best are the White Album and Revolver.

MellySingsDoom 06.22.2007 07:42 AM

"Sgt Pepper" undoubtedly deserves it's place as a cultural (or even social) artefact. As for the music within, I confess a liking for "A Day In The Life", but conversely, don't have a lot of time for "When I'm 64" - it's the combination of the ragtime-inspired musical backing and Noel Coward-esque lyrics that I'm not fond of (also - we used to have to sing this in a primary school I was in).

demonrail666 06.22.2007 07:51 AM

Sarram: Tend to agree with much of what you say (despite still loving Pepper).

I think your point about the music industry being much more innocent then is a difficult one to qualify either way. Although I would say that, seeing as the pop-culture thing was still relatively in its infancy, companies did seem more willing to take a chance than they appear to now. But, like I say, hard to really qualify.

The Beatles probably weren't the most creative figures in music at that time, but they were definitely one of the most in pop music, and probably did more than anyone else in that field to open it up to new ideas.

The long shadow they've cast over subsequent generations is not some kind of conspiracy, but a testament to the fact that, in the end, the were a damn fine band - whose records still, for some, remain vital.

Rob Instigator 06.22.2007 09:14 AM

One of my all time favorite albums. the album which, at age 12, showed me that a band could make 12 completely different sounding songs,a nd still be choesive. I love this through and through. she's leaving home makes me cry. everything about this album is perfect in my eyes.

but then again I see this, abbey road, the white album, , and rubber soul as all perfect albums.

the reason sgt peeprs is so lauded is that it fucking blew everyon's mind! their contemporaries were not wowe by the hippiness of it, but by the incredibly constructed songs, the studio wizardry never before evident on any huge pop album. this album made everyone realize they woudl ahve o step it up, because the beatles were aiming for great art, not just songs you could hum and dance to.

fixing a hole is GENIUS. "where it will goooo....."

Beatles are god, there is no use denying it.

gmku 06.22.2007 10:01 AM

Word! It takes guts to say you love the Beatles anymore. You and I got guts, Rob.

sarramkrop 06.22.2007 10:02 AM

Really? Why do you not ask that to the trillion people who can't seem to stop saying it, then?

gmku 06.22.2007 10:04 AM

Because I don't feel like it? What the fuck...?

sarramkrop 06.22.2007 10:06 AM

Oh, sorry I forgot that you hardly ever mention the greats. My fault, apologies.