Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Speed/Thrash Metal (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=1330)

John Violence 04.27.2006 07:54 PM

Speed/Thrash Metal

I have been going through one of my early speed/thrash metal phases again. I've been listening to Celtic Frost, Megadeth (killing is my business), early Exodus, and this band called Alarum. Anybody got any other bands for me to check out?

Everyneurotic 04.27.2006 10:51 PM

i love good thrash!!!!!

boy if i have some stuff for you to check out:

-check out early voivod like rrroooaaarrr, that album rules!!!!
-anthrax, especially among the living.
-sodom's persecution mania
-early kreator!!!!
-dark angel's darkness descends, that's the fastest thrash album without using blastbeats a la death metal or grindcore, such an intense album
-coroner's mental vortex
-if you can bear a lot of reverb on the production of an album, get possessed's classic 7 churches
-crossover punk/metal like d.r.i. (dealin' with it, dirty rotten lp), corrosion of conformity (eye for an eye, animosity), cro-mags (age of quarrel, which you can download from their website), prong (primitive origins which i like a lot but most people don't like it because they compare it to the latter stuff they did), die kreuzen (s/t and october file) is the basis if not already speed metal/thrash
-SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER!!! (if you haven't already)
-some people like death angel but i really don't. same with overkill
-early testament has it's moments
-SEPULTURA!!!!!! (beaneath the remains and arise are the basic thrash ones)
-s.o.d.'s ultra offenssive hardcore/metal masterpiece speak english or die
-if you lean towards the european blackened sound, then the basics are venom's first three, bathory's first three and (controversially) both original mercyful fate albums
-suicidal tendencies' join the army (again, punk/metal crossover)
-hellhammer, the band that spawned celtic frost.
-more crossover punk/metal but more on the crusty side of punk: amebix's arise! and nausea's the punk terrorist anthology vol. 1

krastian 04.27.2006 11:29 PM

Everyneurotic has a nice list. I second the Cro-Mags.

John Violence 04.27.2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i love good thrash!!!!!

boy if i have some stuff for you to check out:

-check out early voivod like rrroooaaarrr, that album rules!!!!
-anthrax, especially among the living.
-sodom's persecution mania
-early kreator!!!!
-dark angel's darkness descends, that's the fastest thrash album without using blastbeats a la death metal or grindcore, such an intense album
-coroner's mental vortex
-if you can bear a lot of reverb on the production of an album, get possessed's classic 7 churches
-crossover punk/metal like d.r.i. (dealin' with it, dirty rotten lp), corrosion of conformity (eye for an eye, animosity), cro-mags (age of quarrel, which you can download from their website), prong (primitive origins which i like a lot but most people don't like it because they compare it to the latter stuff they did), die kreuzen (s/t and october file) is the basis if not already speed metal/thrash
-SLAYER SLAYER SLAYER!!! (if you haven't already)
-some people like death angel but i really don't. same with overkill
-early testament has it's moments
-SEPULTURA!!!!!! (beaneath the remains and arise are the basic thrash ones)
-s.o.d.'s ultra offenssive hardcore/metal masterpiece speak english or die
-if you lean towards the european blackened sound, then the basics are venom's first three, bathory's first three and (controversially) both original mercyful fate albums
-suicidal tendencies' join the army (again, punk/metal crossover)
-hellhammer, the band that spawned celtic frost.
-more crossover punk/metal but more on the crusty side of punk: amebix's arise! and nausea's the punk terrorist anthology vol. 1

Thanks man. I already have Slayer, Anthrax, and Hellhammer covered but most of the rest I haven't checked out before.

youthoftomorrow 04.28.2006 12:21 AM

i like Mastodon. would they be considered thrash?

PunkerViolence 04.28.2006 10:58 AM

What about that band Sodom? From die deutchland. Also another great thrash band are Nuclear Assault. I strongly recomend them, really....

www.nuclearassault.us

Best start is probably Survive. Really powerfull stuff, very underrated and underground.

Everyneurotic 04.28.2006 01:56 PM

i mentioned sodom's persecution mania; another good one by them is agent orange.

and i forgot nuclear assault...avoid the new record, though