Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Paul McCartney to replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=85067)

TheMadcapLaughs 12.12.2012 09:12 AM

Paul McCartney to replace Kurt Cobain in Nirvana reunion

Paul McCartney will fill the role of Kurt Cobain when he plays with the surviving members of Nirvana at the 12.12.12 concert for victims of Superstorm Sandy on Wednesday night.
The former Beatle will join Foo Fighters singer Dave Grohl and bassist Krist Novoselic on stage in New York to play a new song after secretly working with the pair. Grohl and Novoselic have not performed with each other for 20 years.
A spokesman confirmed that Grohl recently asked McCartney to come along to "jam with some mates".
The former Beatle suggested they "just make something up" and found himself playing with Grohl on drums, bassist Novoselic and guitarist Pat Smear, who toured with Nirvana for the last six months of the band's career.
Kurt Cobain took his own life in April 1994.
McCartney said: "I didn't really know who they were. They are saying how good it is to be back together. I said: 'Whoa? You guys haven't played together for all that time?'
"And somebody whispered to me: 'That's Nirvana. You're Kurt.' I couldn't believe it."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...cobain-nirvana

TheMadcapLaughs 12.12.2012 10:14 AM

yeah, i know the title is misleading but i was too lazy to think so i just copy pasted

noisereductions 12.12.2012 10:19 AM

I kept trying to find proof this was a joke. I'd much rather hear them play instrumentals.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 10:27 AM

this is real?

EVOLghost 12.12.2012 10:33 AM

lol I was just sent this....

big LOLZ

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 12:29 PM

Kurt was a huge Beatles fan so this is sort of cool...

Dude McDude 12.12.2012 12:38 PM

Recordings or it didn't happen.

Signpost 12.12.2012 12:48 PM

this is going to end well i'm sure

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 12:57 PM

Maybe (F)aul thinks he is playing with the Foo Fighters?

ha!

Fucking (F)aul, first he replaces Paul after his auto crash decapitation death, and now he wants to worm his way into a band he did not even know....

That Billy Shears asshole really gets my goat.

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 04:21 PM

bill ly she ars

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.12.2012 04:53 PM

The title is misleading, but every other news including Spin and Rolling Stone are all running the same headline. The question is, will Paul be playing Nirvana songs or is this some kind of formation of a new super group like when Dave played in Them Crooked Vultures with John Paul Jones? If it is an authentic Nirvana reunion in the sense that they are performing Nirvana songs, if anything, I think it is kind of lame, like really, could Paul even cover a Kurt tune without sounding lame or campy? Could be worse, could be the dude from Nickelback or even more cliched Gavin Rossdale ;)

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 05:27 PM

I could see them play one new song, one Beatles and one Nirvana. Probably about a Girl. Lets not forget Kurt listened to the Beatles for hours and hours before he wrote that one.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 05:38 PM

It would be AWESOME to hear (F)aul sing School with the Nirvana left-overs.

Genteel Death 12.12.2012 05:44 PM

I like the “Nobody wants to hear anything from your new album'' Mick Jagger quote form their last appearance on The David Letterman Show. Funny arsehole.

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 05:48 PM

It is kinda dissapointing that the ultimate Gen X band is playing a boomer-fest.

Genteel Death 12.12.2012 05:50 PM

I thought that anyone who says things like ''Gen X'' had died already.

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 05:54 PM

Nope you are mistaken. I am douglas fuckin copeland.

You are an out of work, middle aged male craigslist male prostitute.

Genteel Death 12.12.2012 05:58 PM

Being out of work rewards me with the time to find out about books not written by immature dickheads like the writer aforementioned in your post above.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.12.2012 06:02 PM

This is the 2010s.. being at of work is the new hipster.

A Thousand Threads 12.12.2012 06:05 PM

Paul, Dave and Krist will be sharing the stage with Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Alicia Keys, Kanye West and The Rolling Stones.

good lord
superstorm all over again

hipster_bebop_junkie 12.12.2012 06:10 PM

According to Krist Novoselic's twitter: "It is a new song that's kind of Helter Skelter meets Scentless Apprentice. It rocks with a heavy groove. St. Paul is powerful".

Implying this is some sort of "Nirvana reunion" is a really silly move (no matter who does it, even Paul McCartney has a fucked notion judging by that quote they published at The Guardian). Saying Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic hadn't played together for 20 years prior to this gig is an outright lie. I see this news motivated more by misunderstandings and idiocy than anything else, there's not even a remote possibility that they'd be following Alice In Chains' steps as many people apparently have concluded. This is bound to be of marginal importance in the scheme of Nirvana's legacy, and Paul McCartney's, etc (It might be better than the Foo Fighters, though)...

I'm not giving too much of a damn about this in any aspect other than it is okay to me that they can all jam with whoever they want, and it's great that this is for a good cause.

Signpost 12.12.2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
It would be AWESOME to hear (F)aul sing School with the Nirvana left-overs.

It would be more awesome if they played Rape Me.

Rob Instigator 12.12.2012 07:06 PM

No. In Utero is boring.

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Being out of work rewards me with the time to find out about books not written by immature dickheads like the writer aforementioned in your post above.

Ok so your are that homeless guy in the library with the newspaper acting as a blanket

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.12.2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
It's stupid to call this a "Nirvana reunion". The heart of that band was Kurt and he blew his head off 20 something years ago.

While this isn't a Nirvana reunion because they don't seem to be playing any Nirvana songs, to say that Nirvana was just Kurt is childish. Kurt brought the driving energy, but raw musical power seldom produces art, more than likely just chaos. It takes a band, a group process of musicians working together to make good music. Nirvana is NOTHING without Krist's smooth operator bass lines. Nirvana is NOTHING without Dave Grohl's perfect drumming for every nuance of Kurt's dynamics. Kurt wrote the lyrics, but even those often were a process where he changed them as the songs changed from solo to band projects. When Dave and Krist got together with Kurt, the lyrics were always in the rough, and were adjusted to the changes in the songs. Further, Kurt liked the harmonies with Dave. Nirvana is Krist, Dave, and Kurt. Only Courtney Love and her thuggish gang of lawyers think otherwise..

RanaldoNecro 12.12.2012 09:21 PM

this show is very un-Nirvana so far

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.12.2012 09:25 PM

Jeremy 12.12.2012 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murmer99
I'd still be open to hearing it though. I did suggest Moist Vagina...

Yeah, I'm sure they'd definitely do that obscure b-side everybody knows instead of the hits.

At this point, I'll always love Nirvana's music but this just doesn't register with me one way or another. It's interesting and for a wonderful cause, but at the same time I'm not losing sleep over them doing a faithful rendition of Heart Shaped Box or whatever. It is what it is, a reason for people to donate money to charity and create interesting articles in magazines. Mission accomplished for that, at least.

Jeremy 12.13.2012 12:08 AM

I was being sarcastic as well, I think if I would have put a smiley face or something it would have been clear I was discussing how absurd the whole thing is (i.e. agreeing with you) as opposed to making it look like I was mocking you.

Dr Chocolate 12.13.2012 01:24 AM

wait, was this shit on tv tonight?

hirsute_biped 12.13.2012 11:26 AM

I didn't expect to be saying this, but that was actually kind of cool. As long as you don't get hung up on the goofy headlines calling it a Nirvana reunion, which it is not. That's about as possible as a Beatles reunion in 2012. I'm glad they did a new song, not something from either band's catalog. All for fun and charity, what's the harm?

http://youtu.be/624HfkMty_8

Rob Instigator 12.13.2012 11:30 AM

Kanye's performance was shit. Looked like a goth industrial hip hop car wreck. Nice way to pay tribute to disaster victims Kanye, and nice leather skirt.

RanaldoNecro 12.13.2012 12:50 PM

http://www.cutmesomeslack.net/

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.14.2012 11:45 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1eDSLKomU

It is really not that bad, and indeed like I predicted, sounds way more like the recent trend of veteran blended rock "supergroups" like Them Crooked Vultures who have a bit of a throw back sound. It was really more like Pat and Dave, on this mix you don't get to hear Krist so I can't really say what he did, if it was good or not. It is damn nice to hear Dave on the drums though, it where that fucker always belongs. He is hands down one of my all-time favorite drummers and truly has a distinct sound, and yet he plays more guitar than drums now. Its a waste truly..

I also didn't know that Dave had previously played with Paul in 2008 so this wasn't in that context to surprising. Perhaps Dave was like, fuck it, lets bring Krist and Pat in on this jamming action, or perhaps its the opposite, there was originally going to be a Nirvana reunion, but Courtney Love and her Army of Darkness Lawyers attacked it and shut it down since they weren't gonna make the money, so instead Dave was like, "Hey, lets just bring in Paul fucking McCartney and lets see that bitch stop us then, I jammed back with him a few years ago." Who are Krist and Pat to argue with that kind of shit, especially with the threat of Courtney's lawyers foreboding like that terrifying novel the Ruins.

DeadDiscoDildo 12.15.2012 04:57 AM

Dude I cant believe this but they are kind of rippin it, all things considered...

I can't believe i'm saying this but paul seems to have some swagger, even when he's talking...he doesnt sound like he has for the past few years...cant explain it...like a Faul reversal...

I think he still has rock n roll in his heart, even though hes been doing that gingerbread bullshit for the republicans and the queen for years now...story telling by the fire bullshit...

This is still pretty generic rock, but for paul it seems like he's got the devil in him for the first time in years...

cool.

RanaldoNecro 12.15.2012 10:36 PM

This band is playing SNL tonite at 11:30....

http://twitter.com/foofighters/statu...009984/photo/1

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 12.16.2012 12:08 AM

Haha, told y'all

Quote:

Originally Posted by Courtney Love
"If they don't do songs they didnt write (nirvana songs they dont own) i dont care,"

Quote:

here it was," she wrote on Facebook, after the 12.12.12 benefit concert. "Uh it was bad."Love's verdict followed a series of insults and wisecracks, many of them aimed at Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic. "Paul better get earmuffs for the bassplaying is all," she wrote. "[It's] not exactly known for its brilliance." She also dismissed the idea that this was a true reunion: not only did she tell TMZ that her late husband was the "heart" of the band, she claimed that Nirvana split prior to Cobain's suicide. "The only person that would be … with kurt as of june 94 … and would still be … was [second guitarist] pat [Smear]," she wrote. "They broke UP."
Oddly, McCartney's involvement seemed a relatively minor offence. Although Love thought Cobain would have preferred John Lennon, Paul is her favourite mop top. "We [used to] get into Paul and John fights," she revealed. "I'm a Paul person (Helter Skelter) … [He] was one of the best [bassists]."

TheMadcapLaughs 12.16.2012 12:11 PM

heres the studio recording of it. it's a little bit clearer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBd9330h9kI

noisereductions 12.16.2012 03:19 PM

caught it on SNL last night. What a shitty song.

TheMadcapLaughs 12.16.2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
caught it on SNL last night. What a shitty song.

yea. its got a good groove but thats about it. the lyrics are garbage.