Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   >>the last movie you watched (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=9589)

Severian 07.19.2018 10:48 AM

Oh, the last movie I watched was “I, Tonya.”

It was good... fellas... on ice.
It was GoodFellas on ice. Totally ripped off Scorcese’s pacing and style and mixed it with some ice skating. It was still good, but it could have been better. David O. Russell is better at ripping off Scorsese than whatshisname who directed this, and Scorsese himself probably would have had fun with it.

Props to Margot Robbie — who looks nothing like Tonya Harding apart from being blond, but damn well learned to skate like a motherfucker for this! — and whatshisname from the Captain America movies. Sebastian Stan? Think so.

Lots of domestic violence, kinda glossed over and rephramed as a black comedy. And domestic violence doth not a comedy make, really.

Anyway, good not great.

demonrail666 07.19.2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HenryHill51
A few you may check into:

1) Jim VanBebber's "Deadbeat At Dawn", or really any of VanBebber's stuff.

2) Christiane F.- very disturbing teen prostitution/drug addict German film from the 80's. One can feel the degradation and filth falling off the screen.

3) I don't think he's making trash cinema, but anything by Sion Sono (especially "Tokyo Tribe", which is an epic musical/Walter Hill Warriors rip off) is pretty off the rails.

4) Anything by Jorg Buttgereit. "Nekromantic" or "Schraam".

Some nice picks.

Some more suggestions at the ultra-trashy end ...

Russ Meyer and early (ie pre-Hairspray) John Waters are the gold standard, along with Paul Morrissey's films for Andy Warhol, although some people find those deadly-boring. Ditto Jack Smith's Flaming Creatures. Also at the more underground end is The Kuchar Brothers Hold Me While I'm Naked and Ken Jacob's Blonde Cobra.

More mainstream (relatively speaking) ...

Blood Feast - 60s no-budget gore-fest from H.G. Lewis. If The Cramps had made movies instead of music, they'd have probably looked a lot like Blood Feast.

The Astro-Zombies - The director TV Mikels earned the nickname '1 shot' because he refused to shoot any scene more than once. The films are grindhouse to the core and Astro-Zombies even feautures trash legend Tura Satana.

Death Race 2000 - Paul Bartel's 70s original is a must-see. Avoid the remakes and the recent 'sequel' though.

Basket Case - Perhaps more sleazy than trashy, but even so. One of my favourite films, period.

Return of the Living Dead - Essentially a spoof cash-in on Romero's zombie films but an 80s trash classic in its own right.

Hobo With a Shotgun - One of the better examples (alongside Planet Terror) of those post-Tarantino homages to trashy 70s-80s grindhouse films.

EDIT:

Some other honourable mentions:

Rat Ffink a Boo Boo - A 60s attempt at making a superhero film without a budget or a script.

Funhouse - Tobe Hooper's next film after Texas Chainsaw Massacre. I'm amazed Rob Zombie hasn't tried to remake this.

Piranha 3DD - Essentially Girls Gone Wild meets Roger Corman with a cameo from David Hasselhoff.

I could keep adding to this list forever so I'll stop now. ... or at least try to.

LifeDistortion 07.19.2018 01:51 PM

Has anyone seen The Greasy Strangler? I have not seen it but the things I read after it premiered in festivals was that was getting comparisons to Pink Flamingos-era John Waters.

demonrail666 07.19.2018 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
Has anyone seen The Greasy Strangler? I have not seen it but the things I read after it premiered in festivals was that was getting comparisons to Pink Flamingos-era John Waters.

Yeah, the John Waters comparisons make sense (I'm sure the guys behind it are big fans of those movies) but it actually reminded me more of British comedies like League of Gentleman.

tw2113 07.19.2018 09:33 PM

Piranha and Piranha 3DD are small guilty pleasures of mine.

demonrail666 07.19.2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tw2113
Piranha and Piranha 3DD are small guilty pleasures of mine.

Yeah, they set out to do something pretty basic but unlike most films like that, they actually pull it off.

Speaking of most films like that, I watched Pool Party Massacre today, which sets the bar stupidly low and still fails to clear it. Proof that there's good trash and bad.

!@#$%! 07.19.2018 11:42 PM

haaa haaaa haaaaa i saw piranha 3dd thanks to demonyo—was hilarious yeah and thanks again

have never seen the original piranha somehow

in a bit of a hurry but just to shout death race 2000 HELL YEAH

what about... rollerball? have not seen in ages cant remember much but its on amazon. same era/ look as the other

ps christiane f was so fucking sad

LifeDistortion 07.20.2018 01:37 AM

RIP to Shinobu Hashimoto. Born 1918-2018. A screenwriter who wrote and co-wrote Rashomon, Seven Samurai, Ikiru, Throne of Blood, The Bad Sleep Well, Hidden Fortress, HaraKiri, Samurai Rebellion, and The Sword of Doom. Thank you for your stories.

demonrail666 07.22.2018 01:02 PM

Dial M For Murder

Dismissed by some as mere filmed theatre despite Hitchcock's filmed theatre still managing to be more cinematic than 99% of even the most elaborate and tricksy filmmakers. And Grace Kelly was, and always will be, perfect.

demonrail666 07.22.2018 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!

what about... rollerball? have not seen in ages cant remember much but its on amazon. same era/ look as the other

I like Rollerball but I'm not sure I'd call it trashy. Although, like you, I haven't seen it in ages. (I wouldn't be surprised if the year it's set isn't already behind us).

Severian 07.22.2018 02:50 PM

I started watching Fantastic Beasts & Where to Find Them but holy hell that thing is long. Pretty, but long. Paused to watch some Americans Dad episodes because I needed a larf.

!@#$%! 07.23.2018 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Dial M For Murder

Dismissed by some as mere filmed theatre despite Hitchcock's filmed theatre still managing to be more cinematic than 99% of even the most elaborate and tricksy filmmakers. And Grace Kelly was, and always will be, perfect.

well, hell yes.

if i recall well ROPE was originally a play? and what he did with the camera there was simply fantastic. i think it was just 2 takes? brilliant.

hitchcock’s visual sense was something else.

Quote:

I like Rollerball but I'm not sure I'd call it trashy. Although, like you, I haven't seen it in ages. (I wouldn't be surprised if the year it's set isn't already behind us).

think it was meant seriously yes? i mean the movie. i’ll watch it some time soon and report

Severian 07.23.2018 11:24 AM

Fantastic Beasts was actually pretty good, even though it took three attempts to view the whole thing.

Good world-building if nothing else.

ilduclo 07.23.2018 11:36 AM

sci fi short feature (30 min) called the Manual. Not bad at all

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6173346/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Rob Instigator 07.23.2018 12:42 PM

I got Black Panther ready to watch, as soon as my wife is ready to view another massive CGI, actioner, superhero battlefest.....

demonrail666 07.23.2018 03:33 PM

Quote:

think it was meant seriously yes? i’ll watch it some time soon and report

It's serious in the same way Battle Royale or Hunger Games is serious but, say, Death Race 2000 isn't, despite all of them making a fairly similar point.

Damn, I really wanna watch Death Race 2000 again now.

!@#$%! 07.23.2018 03:38 PM

Quote:

It's serious in the same way Battle Royale or Hunger Games is serious but, say, Death Race 2000 isn't, despite making a fairly similar point.

Damn, I really wanna watch Death Race 2000 again now.

wait, no, battle royale is a beat takeshi thing isnt it? wait, no—he was in it but it wasn’t his.

anyway ive only seen it only once but saw it more as a very dark comedy... whereas hunger games is earnest as fuck (event though i cant take it seriously).

yeah death race 2000 is infinitely rewatchable. would make a great video wallpaper. oh, maybe one for antagon’s dj shows...

Severian 07.23.2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I got Black Panther ready to watch, as soon as my wife is ready to view another massive CGI, actioner, superhero battlefest.....

It’s surprisingly meh.

One friend of mine was like, “it’s better than the Dark Knight,” and I was like, “no it’s not.” Then he was like, “you haven’t seen it yet.” And I was like, “I know, it’s not.”

Then I watched it, and I was like, “Yeah, nope.”

SPELLBINDING, isn’t it?!

Nah, but seriously... it’s fine. It’s black Iron Man. Little bit of black Wonder Woman. It’s not at all bad, but it’s nowhere near great.

demonrail666 07.23.2018 04:08 PM

Quote:

wait, no, battle royale is a beat takeshi thing isnt it? wait, no—he was in it but it wasn’t his.

anyway ive only seen it only once but saw it more as a very dark comedy...

Possibly yeah. I've only seen it once and couldn't really get into it. This is gonna sound terrible but I had real trouble telling the difference between the characters. I could distinguish between the boys and the girls and the teachers, obviously, but beyond that it was just lots of school uniforms running around killing each other.

!@#$%! 07.23.2018 05:00 PM

Quote:

Possibly yeah. I've only seen it once and couldn't really get into it. This is gonna sound terrible but I had real trouble telling the difference between the characters. I could distinguish between the boys and the girls and the teachers, obviously, but beyond that it was just lots of school uniforms running around killing each other.

haa haaa haaa

i dont remember any characters either— outside of takeshi that is

the rest is just one fucking gorey (edward) death after another... i do remember laughing. was i wrong? im a terrible man.