Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   new server headaches (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=436)

chabib 03.30.2006 06:33 PM

new server headaches

so, the new headaches have begun. we moved our server from universal to an independent host. everything seemed fine while i was migrating and while we had the boards running in parallel. we figured it'd be a piece of cake to switch the domain pointer and have the change update across DNS caches on the net.

our cake was laced with arsenic.

nothing is easy. nothing is painless. the internet is a life-sucking, time-wasting vampire.

long live college-ruled paper, trapper keepers, stamps and--truncated's favorite--pens.

finding nobody 03.30.2006 10:34 PM

damn man. much sympathy for you. we all appeatiate it very much right?

props for chabib!

Alex's Trip 03.30.2006 10:36 PM

Yeah...this board is great...

...Is that why I couldn't get on for a long time yesterday and today?

!@#$%! 03.30.2006 10:50 PM

no shit man. the internet sucks. i used to work as webmaster + forum administrator. what a fuckin headache. i think however it wasn't just dns but the fuckin server was down, because i had the numerical address & got squat. it pinged ok though, but port 80 was dead. on the positive side i managed to get a lot done today, hah hah. well i hope the crap is ironed out now. best wishes.

toxic johnny 03.31.2006 03:02 AM

Yeah just to let you know that we all appreciate your hard work Chris... looks like everything is 100% operational again in Sonic world

Hip Priest 03.31.2006 03:58 AM

It's great when it works, and right now it's working.

Hope things go a bit more smoothly for you from now on.

Soundtrax 03.31.2006 04:05 AM

fuck, dudes... can't this it be done without interuptions? it makes me angry when it stops working for days...grrr.... i guess i am addicted :eek: but you should consider this when messing with this forum... i am shaking:mad:

Bal 03.31.2006 04:15 AM

whens the echocam coming back? would like to see the band installing the new studio ;)

!@#$%! 03.31.2006 01:48 PM

end your server troubles

OUTSOURCE

seriously man i don't know how much you get paid to tweak this shit but i'd say pay someone else to do it and go make art

that company i linked above is pretty good and the prices are very reasonable-- business class forum hosting for $300/mo, i mean, consider your own cost of labor.

anyway thanks for the hard work & best wishes

crappydrummer 03.31.2006 01:50 PM

yeah, your work here is much appreciated.

TheDom 03.31.2006 01:51 PM

thanks a million for the hard work, chabib!

chabib 03.31.2006 01:53 PM

if you knew how little we were paying for forum hosting, you'd laugh. then you'd ask what the hell was wrong with us. then you'd know why i have such a fucking migraine right now.

silverfreepress (sdasher) 03.31.2006 05:47 PM

try thinking about Phillip Glass and Brian Eno arm wrestling. That should eleviate the migraine.

Hip Priest 03.31.2006 05:49 PM

Well, it's working fine at the moment, so I have to say thanks for putting the time in.

!@#$%! 04.01.2006 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabib
if you knew how little we were paying for forum hosting, you'd laugh. then you'd ask what the hell was wrong with us. then you'd know why i have such a fucking migraine right now.

oh the starter plans @ that company are like $15 a month. maybe feasible since we have never gone over 100 people at a time.

in any case i hope this doesn't permanently distract you from your more creative pursuits. that would be a fucking waste.

that you? -->